2014 Build Challenge Idea Sharing Thread

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by newtwanger, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

No. You cannot touch anything to move it to any point past how you bought it. If you want a bookmatch top, buy a bookmatch top. If not, get out your handsaw after march 1st and start sawing. If you have a table saw, two passes will cut that in half. A hand plane will clean it up.

2. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

I did my first build on a fold out plastic picnic table!

That being said, being organized in the shop and having lots of solid work tables (two I built myself) make things a lot faster. I'm glad my parents let me set up a shop.. It was a battle to even get in the garage, but once I did my dad had to make it look perfect, which meant two $200 workbenches and a wall of pegboard...

I'm nervous to join this year.. I've got so much Chemistry going on.. Hopefully I can get the guitar done in spring break.. I'd like to finish within a month and a half this year, but I've got two other guitars that need to be finished, one with a deadline at the same time as the challenge.

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I bought a glued-together maple top board that I sawed back into two pieces last weekend so that I can glue it back together in March; I hope that counts! :lol:

4. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Where's the LOL emoticon?

Ah, there it is. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

5. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

A fresh shipment of 'hog arrived today from Woodworkers Source. Parts have been trickling in from various sources. The garage/shop is a mess. I have almost no free time lately. Sometimes you just have to say, "What the heck!" and build a guitar.

I'm in!!!!

Looks like it's time for the ceremonial StewMac order. It's Build Season!!!!!

6. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

That should glue right back pretty well - I'm looking forward to seeing your build.

I have some conflicting priorities that have come up and may not be able to join in the challenge this year. Maybe I'll do something simple... I'm trying to figure it out.

7. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Tele-Holic

I was about to try to resaw it on my table saw a week or two ago, but then I checked to see If my blade was at 90 degrees, it was ever so slightly off, and decided to play it safe. I tried to get it straight and I got pretty close, just not exact.

8. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

If you have another method or means of re-sawing, it might be best to pursue it. Resawing with a table-saw can be sort of risky and dangerous. If your table saw isn't worth more than 300 dollars (new), chances are it won't be very accurate, and will take some time and skill to set up proper. A good blade and good fence make things a lot better.

9. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Is it bad that I've already bought what I need for my intended entry, but still find myself contemplating changing to something totally different which would make pretty much everything I have non-usefull?

EDIT: and is it also bad if I posted this mainly to see if the build challenge title worked? :oops:

Regarding workspaces - I built my first (and so far only) race bike in my dining room. I dont want to hear any whining about workspace for a wimpy little guitar! :twisted:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  10. jim the plumber

jim the plumber Tele-Holic

wheels turning

just finished up a strat getting my wood together :D GEDC0670.JPG

GEDC0668.JPG

11. Jupiter

1. No. Now you've got all the stuff for the summer project.
    2. A little bit. :lol: But now I gotta do it....

12. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Are you sure that isn't a partscaster?

13. lbridenstine

lbridenstine Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

I sat around on the basement floor figuring out how to layout the pieces of wood and where to cut when the time comes. Layering up the body to the right thickness is going to be a little trickier than I thought, but I have it figured out now.

I decided to use the cutoffs from my current rosewood neck as binding on the new fretboard. :D

14. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Well it ended up being parts from three different bikes and a couple aftermarket companies, so yeah, you could say that!

15. Jupiter

I paid!

Now I GOTTA build it.

16. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

That's true though. Taking apart a bike, or assembling one, is different from building a guitar from a block of wood. I've taken apart a dirtbike, and put it back together, and it's not really comparable to building with wood. Still a funny thing to say, and something to be proud of!!!

I should probably pay.. and get my parts...

17. Jacaranda

Jacaranda Tele-Holic

Undecided if I should go with a Trem or standard Tele bridge. And if I add the trem should I add a middle pickup.....decisions, decisions

18. TeleSky

TeleSky Tele-Holic

Just got all my parts ordered. This one's going to be VERY different for me. Now I just gotta pay the entrance fee.

Oh, and finish my "family history" build too. still waiting on the stupid dyes to arrive so i can finish it.

soooooo excited for this one

19. photondev

photondev Tele-Holic

Need some ideas about finishing your tele?

[​IMG]

20. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

bought my wood... ordered my parts... paid my entrance fee.... kicked some butt... ran out of bubble gum... I'm afraid it's time for the build challenge to start... OOOOOOOOOOO GET SOME!!!!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.