2013 MIK Danelectro DC 59 Compared to a Late 90s MIK DC 59

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by FredDairy, Sep 2, 2013.

1. goldwax

goldwax Tele-Meister

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I just scored what turned out to be a late-'90s MIK 12-string on Craigslist. I was a bit bummed, since I had already seen this thread and had my hopes set on a new MIK one. (Biggest difference not already pointed out here is that the late-'90s has a maple headstock instead of a matching headstock, which I prefer.) But for less than $200 out the door, I can't really complain. Plays and sounds great.

2. goldwax

goldwax Tele-Meister

Quick question--howdo the newer MIK models compare to the older MIK models in terms of sound and playability? Anyone know?

3. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

Supposedly the late 90's ones are the best (I had a 98 u-2) but the newer ones are nothing to pass over. There are intonatable bridges on a lot of the newer ones and afaik the first reissues only had the rosewood ones that eventually bend.

4. goldwax

goldwax Tele-Meister

When you say "newer ones" are you talking about the MIK ones from the last year or two, or the slightly older MIC ones?

5. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

The Chinese ones feel more "plasticky" or toy-like than the Korean ones. To me anyway. And yeah I realize it's silly to complain about that on a guitar made of glorified cardboard... But that sound they make is unique, and they pretty much all do it, MIA, MIK, whatever it's MI. We'll, except the ones with the double lipstick humbuckers. Those are just weird.

6. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I have a late 90s dc-59. I got it in a trade in October, and while it looked very nice still, it needed some work. The foam shims under the pickups were pretty compressed so you couldn't raise the pickups, the bridge was bent in the middle and the nut slots were cut too deep on the high strings, and the neck had a little too much relief. That being said, I love the way it plays and sounds now that i have set it up and addressed some of these issues. The pickups are lower output than some of the later reissues and now that i replaced the foam shims and raised them up higher they have a great jangly, but not harsh sound and a reasonable amount of output. I replaced the bridge, but noticed that the new bridges from allparts are actually a little thinner and slightly differently shaped. Nothing that is obvious at first glance, but it looks like it is already starting to bend again and the two holes in the front do not precisely line up with the height adjustment screws. The nuts on these 90s reissues are wild too. I ordered a replacement, but it is not tall enough, so i am still using the original one. Because of the angle at the headstock and the super thick slab of rosewood on the fretboard, the metal nuts that are made for the newer reissues will not fit a 90s reissue. All said, it is still a killer guitar that doesn't sound or feel like any of my other guitars.

7. goldwax

goldwax Tele-Meister

Re pickups, I'm having a tough time getting the neck one raised. Gonna have to get in there this weekend and see what I can do.

8. caliber019

caliber019 NEW MEMBER!

I just bought this Danelectro dc59 in matte black in great condition for $250. I'm also looking at this other dc59 that's just like this one but a little different looking and I was hoping to get advice on which one to keep because I'm about to buy both so I don't miss out on the best of the two and I can just sell the other one. I've been reading up on them for days and still not sure exactly what year the one I bought is. Pretty sure it's 2013+ after reading this forum.

Here's the one I just bought after playing for an hour. I've uploaded a front and back side pic below.

Here's the link to the other one I'm not sure is the better one to get.

https://reverb.com/item/4561919-danelectro-dc-59-2001-black-sparkle

Attached Files:

9. oldmark

oldmark Tele-Holic

Raise the dead one more time...Just this week I have 2 new Danos...a brand new 12 string DC, and an old Chinese made DC 59, black and white, that just got here a hour ago and IMO is a very underrated guitar...we will see over time.
    I sold the all white DC and the Convertible, still have the DC3 AND a Longhorn bass in Copperburst, like my old one fron the early '60's.
    I'm glad they have found more fans...thank Jimmy Page for that!
    (Jimmy is a big Link Wray fan, too)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.