1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

2013/2014 Road Worn '50s Blonde Tele pics?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by strateles, Jun 20, 2014.

1. strateles

strateles Tele-Holic

I know the road worns are a sore subject for some, but it seems like they have all of the features I am looking for. The problem is the only ones I have held/played/seen are the older heavy worn versions. I understand the newer version is much lighter on the wear.

My question is does anyone have one of these newer, less worn versions? Can I see some pics please?

I didnt mind the body wear, or the rust, or much else on the heavy relics but the neck always looked bad. I have read that the neck wear on the newer version is much less worn as well. Can anyone confirm this?

All of the pictures from all of the big boxers seem to be of the older, heavily worn versions. Any help the collective can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

2. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, from what I've read and seen the newer ones are less relic'd. Quite a bit less on the neck. Maybe a good idea since the first years' work on the board between frets 9-12 is totally unrealistic.

That being said, from what I've played I would still opt for one of the earlier ones ('08 is the best year, imo) because they just feel better. YMMV.

I've got an '08 in blonde and although I've changed out the pups, it's my #1 and will hopefully never leave my collection. Used to be able to find some for cheap on eBay (SBs especially, seen them go for around $500!) but now that most have found out about them and their quality, very hard to find for any deals nowadays.

3. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Plenty of threads addressing this already posted here.. The change happened betweenDec 2012 andJan 2013.. I prefer the older versions too.. regret including my '09 blond in a trade.. replaced it with transition model from late 2012.. has the light wear on the body but still has the older heavy worn neck and hardware. Also have an earlier 2-Tone version which is a beast to play.. prior owner did a great job setting it up..

4. strateles

strateles Tele-Holic

yes, thanks jerry, I knew someone would chime in with something along these lines.

Yes, I know of all of the threads, my search function works well. There not many with any current issue pics. I have read most of the threads, and know of the timeline of the changes, thats why I'm trying to get a picture of one of the current models, hence the title: 2013/2014 Road Worn '50s Blonde Tele pics?

5. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Sweetwater has pics of the sunburst (two of them). That's your best bet.

Ebay has a few newer ones for sale as well.

6. strateles

strateles Tele-Holic

Thanks superbadj, I dont even think about ebay anymore, but im going to check it out now!

7. hellhound94

hellhound94 TDPRI Member

Here are a few pics of my recently purchased 2014. From a few feet away, it looks almost as good as my 2013 52 AVRI. The fingerboard looks great.

image-103076447.jpg

image-3347355031.jpg

image-2096515686.jpg

image-646823349.jpg

8. muzicmaken

muzicmaken Tele-Holic

wow...that's not Road Worn at all...I love my Blonde "Road Worn" that's really road worn...I'd actually like to find the tobacco burst one like it...Amazing guitars...

9. hellhound94

hellhound94 TDPRI Member

You are correct in your assessment muzicmaken! These newer Road Worn Teles are a world apart from earlier models. Having said that, however, I will say this is definitely one sweet guitar and I'm totally happy with mine. Very easy to play and sounds good too.

10. Little Ricky

Little Ricky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

11. GopherTele

GopherTele Tele-Afflicted

Having owned both the RW is a MUCH better guitar than a 52 RI at half the price.

Just saying.

12. variantboy

variantboy Tele-Meister

strateles - i just purchased this guitar about 2 months ago. I am in love with it. the neck, the sound, the weight, the finish.. it's awesome. I'm assuming it's a 2013 or 2014 - as i purchased it from a store brand new just a short time ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. xtrajerry

Looks like a transition model.. has the older worn neck.. I have one from that period.. plays very ok was disappointed with the body finish and mismatched neck. Was going to send it back but figured the nitro body would get scuffed up eventually.. so far the body hasn't gotten even a hint of a ding..

14. xtrajerry

Either you got an outstanding rw or a dog of a 52ri.. I've been a fan of the road worms from day one currently own 6 of them but none of them belong in the same discussion as my 52s..

15. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Wow, 6 of them. Let me know if you ever have a garage sale.

16. 66Satellite

66Satellite Tele-Holic

I need to ban myself from these threads

17. variantboy

variantboy Tele-Meister

aesthetically - all things considered i like it better than the shiny/plasticky look of a new poly - so i've got no issues with the worn looking neck on the not-as-worn body. a neck would wear out on a guitar faster anyway if we cared about realism... which i don't, btw:) i actually love the aged yellow look of it and am pleased with it's appearance

in the end... what's most important to me is the FEEL and the sound of it. i absolutely LOVE the feel of the neck. i mean... it is a thousand times better to me than a new poly neck. i was generally against the concept of relic-ing until i played this guitar. now i get it.

.. and sound-wise... excepting that the neck pickup is a wee bit dark.. i love the sound of it. the bridge pickup is great and the middle pickup is still pretty sweet and sugary

i'm a fan.

18. xtrajerry

Fezz Parker mod works wonders with that neck pup..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.