1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

2012 Build Challenge VOTING -- Pick your 3 favorites

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by TDPRI, May 17, 2012.

Which 3 of the 2012 Build Challenge guitars do you think is BEST

Poll closed May 24, 2012.
  1. Adirondak5

33 vote(s)
    5.2%
  2. Aikiguy

29 vote(s)
    4.6%
  3. Alexlaguna29

4 vote(s)
    0.6%
  4. Allthesound

18 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. Amadhunter

5 vote(s)
    0.8%
  6. Anyone

7 vote(s)
    1.1%
  7. Axedaddy

19 vote(s)
    3.0%
  8. Barncaster

18 vote(s)
    2.8%
  9. Bowensby23

26 vote(s)
    4.1%
  10. Czook

10 vote(s)
    1.6%
  11. Davecam48

3 vote(s)
    0.5%
  12. Dazzaman

33 vote(s)
    5.2%
  13. Deadicated

10 vote(s)
    1.6%
  14. Desmodog

5 vote(s)
    0.8%
  15. Devo Stevo

2 vote(s)
    0.3%
  16. Dilbone

43 vote(s)
    6.8%
  17. Emoney

11 vote(s)
    1.7%
  18. Flatfive

50 vote(s)
    7.9%
  19. Gitlvr

7 vote(s)
    1.1%
  20. Guitarbuilder

59 vote(s)
    9.3%
  21. Guitar novice

2 vote(s)
    0.3%
  22. Guitarnut

72 vote(s)
    11.4%
  23. Henderson is Go

13 vote(s)
    2.1%
  24. Junk-mutt

4 vote(s)
    0.6%
  25. K-Bru

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  26. Kwerk

215 vote(s)
    33.9%
  27. Maricopa

33 vote(s)
    5.2%
  28. Mike Simpson

29 vote(s)
    4.6%
  29. Mojotron

18 vote(s)
    2.8%
  30. Motor City Tele

80 vote(s)
    12.6%
  31. Muzikp

44 vote(s)
    6.9%
  32. Newtherapist

42 vote(s)
    6.6%
  33. Niallbadass

5 vote(s)
    0.8%
  34. Oigun

160 vote(s)
    25.2%
  35. OpenG Capo4

3 vote(s)
    0.5%
  36. Picton

10 vote(s)
    1.6%
  37. Pulaifaz

2 vote(s)
    0.3%
  38. RCole sooner

25 vote(s)
    3.9%
  39. RogerC

57 vote(s)
    9.0%
  40. R. Stratenstein

11 vote(s)
    1.7%
  41. Scatter Lee

152 vote(s)
    24.0%
  42. Stijnkenens

58 vote(s)
    9.1%
  43. Thunders1988

37 vote(s)
    5.8%
  44. Tklaavo

24 vote(s)
    3.8%
  45. Ugly Guitar Guy

19 vote(s)
    3.0%
  46. Vintage65

77 vote(s)
    12.1%
  47. Volowv

7 vote(s)
    1.1%
  48. Wheelie

72 vote(s)
    11.4%
  49. Whodatpat

15 vote(s)
    2.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Allthesound

Allthesound Tele-Afflicted

I know i'm kinda new here and never got to see how previous build challenges played out but I think its unfortunate that any builder among us should feel compelled to defend their build here on this thread. That's why we have individual build threads that are still open for comment.

We all entered this challenge knowing what the rules were and what the criteria for voting would be, no one held a guns to any ones head or forced us to pick the designs we picked.
    For anyone who entered the challenge (whether they made it to final voting or not) to sit here on this thread and criticize a process they willing entered or to single out another's build while the voting is still underway is IMHO in very poor taste and cheapens the spirit of what this was supposed to be about.. :(

I really don't care who i piss off saying so but this B.S. should stop until the voting is over , there will be plenty of time to debate the pro's and con's of it all after the fact and on a more appropriate thread. JM2CFWIW

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Yep...it has settled in pretty nicely.

3. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Where is that "like" button...

4. ugly_guitar_guy

ugly_guitar_guy Tele-Meister

+1

5. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Less than one day left to vote. We've got over 25,000 that have registered on this site, and we'll be lucky to get 1,000 to vote in this build challenge. Hmm.

Most have not voted in the second poll for the Beginner build. My guess is that they did not know about the separate (second) poll. Yikes.

6. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Up until this year, I haven't voted because in previous years I felt that since I had no skin in the game, my vote meant less. I was wrong, of course, but it took my participation this year to get me to understand how nice it is to keep up with the threads and share the builders' ups and downs.

I may not build another one in a future Challenge, but I'll be following along and voting every year now.

7. bmore_jane

bmore_jane TDPRI Member

Hi y'all! Thanks everyone for making me want to build a guitar. Especially my hubby, watching him turn a piece of wood and some components into a geetar was awesome and it was awesome to see everyone else's wood turn into something awesome.

I really want to try. My hubby doesn't know yet but it must be an awesome feeling to create something so beautiful!

8. Scooby Snax

Scooby Snax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dude, hit the nail on the head... no one cares who wins when you're watching GP motorcycle. You just hope to see someone wipe out and walk away.

edit; I wasn't hoping for it to go boing, but we were all wondering.

I thought about how can the neck hold together, but those laminated beams seem to do a good job of it.

9. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

No argument from me on that.

Speak for yourself please, you certainly don't speak for me when you say that... I've seen enough crashes.

EDIT: That came out more preachy than I intended... I'm just sayin', I've seen too many crashes as it is. And probably should admit there is some fascination there with wondering if a popsicle stick guitar will hold together... ;)

10. deadicated

deadicated Tele-Holic

What a challenge it has been. I'm truly honored and amazed that i got ant votes at all with all of the great builds that took place this year. I shore didn't expect any, I really only entered to make myself get over the fear of building a neck. There may have been more nice builds in the last two months then I'd ever seen in one place. Kudos to everyone that entered. I'd be willing to bet that the talent pool around here is deeper than anywhere else out there. It truly makes me proud to take part and be associated with the challenge and TDPRI in general. I can't wait until my skills reach the level of some of you guys. As far as the vids go they are what they are and people are going to make their decisions on whatever they want. Mine was awful, recorded 3 in the morning very quickly with a sleeping kid near by so the amp could barely be turned on and still needing to pack for a week of work out of town in 2 more hours. But it shows it works as the rules say it should and that was all I cared about. The fact that just one other person could appreciate and picked my build made it all worth it to me.

11. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I think the popsicle stick caster would have looked cool with a sunburst so that the sticks were still visible like woodgrain in the amber center. I had no doubt you would make it work... glue is stronger than the wood anyway. I had a 1970's japanese guitar that the neck was made from about a hundred real thin pieces of wood laminated together.

12. Mike Simpson

Actually Jack 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 winners were all copies of guitars that already existed and there was no ground breaking, unique or epiphany of design in any of them. The concrete caster and the popsicle stick caster are more unique than any on the last four winners if that is the expected criteria.

2009 was a black esquire, not a new design or finish.

2010 was your skeleton guitar and the second one you made that was patterned after a previously made custom shop strat. http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/149158-jack-wells-should-sue.html#post1686862

2011 was plexiglass and that kind of body had been done as well... Fender made a neck from lucite or plexiglass in the 50's. http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/non...esting-start-project-somebody.html#post174956

2012 Kwerk may have an original finish there... I don't remember seeing anything covered in a blueprint like that before but the guitar is no different than any typical standard tele.

Before anyone gets all weewee'd out at me
    I am just responding to Jack to point out that all these designs existed and were not unheard of.
    ... with the possible exception of Kwerk's finish design.

13. Amadhunter

Amadhunter Tele-Meister

Wow!! Thanks to the folks that voted for me too! I'm stoked. I really learned a lot from this years build, watching the threads that others were putting up. There are really some great builders on this site. I feel very blessed to be a part of this challenge and site. :) :) Thank ya'll again. :) :) :) :)

14. dilbone

dilbone Tele-Afflicted

unique may not be the best term...not sure there is much of anything anymore in guitar design that is truly "groundbreaking," just stuff that the average DIY'er hasn't ever tried.

typical vs. atypical may have been a better description...... but I still like everyone being in the same boat...
    splitting hairs is never an easy job

15. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mike Simpson ........... it looks like we may have been educated with different definitions of the term unique. When I look at the higher vote getters in this year's challenge and all the past challenges I find something unique about them. By unique, I don't mean something that's never been done before but something that sets them apart from the rest of the competition.

First of all, we're restricted to building a Telecaster style guitar so they're all going to be somewhat similar.

Let's look at last year's challenge winner. The body, neck and some of the hardware were crafted from acrylic and finished superbly. I'd say that made it unique when compared to all the ash, maple and rosewood entries.

I'd say several entries in this year's competition really showed exceptional creativity, imagination and craftsmanship and pushed the envelope on guitar building.

dilbone ........ you're right, maybe "unique" may not have been the best term. I like your "typical and atypical". Too bad my limited vocabulary didn't come up with that.

16. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

I have an opinion and I'm putting the disclaimer right up front. You all can disagree if you want.

I think no matter what the mods set up for voting, the members that vote will have their own criteria. Some voted for the guitars they would like to own. Some voted for the buidls they thought challenged the builder the most. Some voted for the most 'unique', 'atypical', out of the box, crazy, etc. Some might have voted for their favorite color! And I'm sure there is some hero worship that would attract votes for a partscaster. I was suprised to see some really, really nice guitars get very few votes. I think that just shows the overall quality of all the builders.

My point is, each person will think they know the winner, but I don't think we ever will. Not to take anything away from the winners - they were fabulous instruments! I guess you could get some bragging rights for the final vote count, but to be honest, I have never seen anyone gloat on this forum.

17. Mike Simpson

Group Hug?

Looking forward to next year.... I think....

18. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

A pat on the back for RogerC. 45000 views is pretty outstanding in my book. Congrats on that win.

Thank you again to all that supported my project.

19. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

hehe Thanks, Marty. I actually beat Scatter Lee on views. I do count that as a victory :p

I do appreciate everyone who followed along with my build. The fact that I had so many people interested in what I was doing really floors me.

20. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats to all the builders. A really excellent and creative bunch! Also a little issue I've noticed; The percentage column on this page adds up to over 495% according to my calcs, and the total nr votes is 1660. Total reported voters is 635, so we should be seeing 1905 votes total. Can someone check my figures here?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.