1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

2012 Build Challenge VOTING -- Pick your 3 favorites

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by TDPRI, May 17, 2012.

Which 3 of the 2012 Build Challenge guitars do you think is BEST

Poll closed May 24, 2012.
  1. Adirondak5

33 vote(s)
    5.2%
  2. Aikiguy

29 vote(s)
    4.6%
  3. Alexlaguna29

4 vote(s)
    0.6%
  4. Allthesound

18 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. Amadhunter

5 vote(s)
    0.8%
  6. Anyone

7 vote(s)
    1.1%
  7. Axedaddy

19 vote(s)
    3.0%
  8. Barncaster

18 vote(s)
    2.8%
  9. Bowensby23

26 vote(s)
    4.1%
  10. Czook

10 vote(s)
    1.6%
  11. Davecam48

3 vote(s)
    0.5%
  12. Dazzaman

33 vote(s)
    5.2%
  13. Deadicated

10 vote(s)
    1.6%
  14. Desmodog

5 vote(s)
    0.8%
  15. Devo Stevo

2 vote(s)
    0.3%
  16. Dilbone

43 vote(s)
    6.8%
  17. Emoney

11 vote(s)
    1.7%
  18. Flatfive

50 vote(s)
    7.9%
  19. Gitlvr

7 vote(s)
    1.1%
  20. Guitarbuilder

59 vote(s)
    9.3%
  21. Guitar novice

2 vote(s)
    0.3%
  22. Guitarnut

72 vote(s)
    11.4%
  23. Henderson is Go

13 vote(s)
    2.1%
  24. Junk-mutt

4 vote(s)
    0.6%
  25. K-Bru

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  26. Kwerk

215 vote(s)
    33.9%
  27. Maricopa

33 vote(s)
    5.2%
  28. Mike Simpson

29 vote(s)
    4.6%
  29. Mojotron

18 vote(s)
    2.8%
  30. Motor City Tele

80 vote(s)
    12.6%
  31. Muzikp

44 vote(s)
    6.9%
  32. Newtherapist

42 vote(s)
    6.6%
  33. Niallbadass

5 vote(s)
    0.8%
  34. Oigun

160 vote(s)
    25.2%
  35. OpenG Capo4

3 vote(s)
    0.5%
  36. Picton

10 vote(s)
    1.6%
  37. Pulaifaz

2 vote(s)
    0.3%
  38. RCole sooner

25 vote(s)
    3.9%
  39. RogerC

57 vote(s)
    9.0%
  40. R. Stratenstein

11 vote(s)
    1.7%
  41. Scatter Lee

152 vote(s)
    24.0%
  42. Stijnkenens

58 vote(s)
    9.1%
  43. Thunders1988

37 vote(s)
    5.8%
  44. Tklaavo

24 vote(s)
    3.8%
  45. Ugly Guitar Guy

19 vote(s)
    3.0%
  46. Vintage65

77 vote(s)
    12.1%
  47. Volowv

7 vote(s)
    1.1%
  48. Wheelie

72 vote(s)
    11.4%
  49. Whodatpat

15 vote(s)
    2.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. devo_stevo

devo_stevo Tele-Meister

Jeez I'm sorry that my video sucks. The guitar truely is better sounding than the video shows. Sounds really good through a nice tube amp.

2. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

I will throw my hat in the ring for the Texas delegate for the convention. :rolleyes:

3. TJGCO

TJGCO TDPRI Member

I only been able to vote once.....am I wrong in reading that I get 3 votes?

4. marklar

marklar TDPRI Member

Too hard to pick 3, I thought there were 2 outstanding entries that kept me coming back regularly to look in on their progress and at least another 5 or 6 that were excellent as well.

5. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

I agree.

Paul stipulated in the voting instructions that the requirement was on people to vote based on the guitars they liked the best, not on any facet of video quality. He was deliberately very specific on that subject. If people were lending weight to video/audio/playing quality then not only did they ignore what was asked of them but they also really undermined the builders efforts. The video was simply to prove the guitar was wired correctly and could hold a tune. Beyond that, nothing further should have been judged from the video IMHO, however it may have been presented.

Forgive those of us who wanted to spend a little time talking about the guitar. Bear in mind we lived and breathed it for 2 months, thinking of little else.

6. Guitar novice

Guitar novice Tele-Afflicted

The video for me was like the marathon runner collapsing over the line. Just happy to finish :lol:

I was impressed with the production of kwerks video. Someone has some skills in that dept :eek:

Cheers

7. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Next year I am going to try and get Spielberg to shoot my video :)
    Sheesh , sorry I don't have better video equippment.
    I thought all the videos were fine , the threads were fine , the builds were fantastic , and the voting was fair .

8. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    The video was the hardest part of last years challenge for me. My kid and I shot it with a phone. The picture and the sound sucked pretty bad. You couldn't even tell for sure if the guitars was really playable.

9. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

You can vote once, but you can choose three on that one vote.

10. Allthesound

Allthesound Tele-Afflicted

Stevo!
    You should not apologize for your video I really got a kick out of it :p I think it speaks volumes of you as a person to invite your young friend & neighbor to be involved in presenting your build that you spent so much time and hard work creating (great job btw!)

I think most can agree that one of the biggest benefits of these challenges and the DIY fourm is that they inspire others to try things we may otherwise not have and when a young person is inspired to put down their i-pad or video game and pickup a hunk of wood (or a wheel barrow of cement :p)and create something or pickup a guitar and learn to play, then the collective efforts of everyone paid off huge.

This is the first challenge i have ever been involved in for anything and the video was something i dreaded doing I have always had a sort of phobia being videoed for others to see so it was kinda of a personal challenge to just grab a camera in one hand and shoot something unrehearsed , unkempt, dead tired and throw it out there no matter how much a fool i looked. :lol:

11. devo_stevo

devo_stevo Tele-Meister

thanks Steve. I'm Steve too BTW. Small world with a common name...

I'm glad that you enjoyed the video. He was really quite flattered I think that I asked him to do it. I figured that the guitar itself is what is to be judged so no worries. Besides, I'm up to 2 whole votes now. That's more than I expected to see with the stiff competition around here.

12. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

For those criticizing the video quality please post a video you made of yourself with no one to help you or operate the camera playing a guitar you just made from sticks.

While I understand the requirement for the video to show that the guitar works... I think it is unfortunate that many voters just watch the videos and base their votes on that. I have not owned an actual video camera for 15 to 20 years back when the 8mm tape was the next big thing expected to take over VHS-C compact tape. The only way I have to make a video is to use my G2 Android phone. The video is not too bad but the audio is poor and can't take much volume before it clips and breaks up.

I have spent my money on guitars, amps, routers, bandsaws, a drill press and a bunch of Stewmac stuff. I have computer M-audio recording equipment, Rode mics and I can make a CD quality audio recording. I can put the track against some stills in movie maker but I have no idea how to sync video and audio. I did link to a good audio recording as an mp3 and a video with with still pics but that is not the requirement. I don't have much interest in spending money on a video camera to use next year and once a year, if I enter again.

I don't have much interest in winding my own pickups either due to my vision. I have had cataract surgery in both eyes and a detached retina reattached in my right eye. Trying to see that little tiny wire does not seem like a good fit for me since I can buy pickups that work great for very little money.

The builders at the Fender custom shop do not wind their own pickups and neither do most botique builders. Most buyers would rather have a Fralin or Duncan pickup anyway. That seeme like a overly restrictive requirement when we are not even required to make a neck plate with 4 holes in it.

13. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

For those criticizing the video quality please post a video you made of yourself with no one to help you or operate the camera playing a guitar you just made from sticks.

Hey, I represent that! :)

That gives me an idea for next year....a guitar from real branches from fallen trees....!

14. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Well... Apparently you have a better understanding of the contest than I do... Ash/Rosewood/Nitro gets half as many votes as Popsicle sticks... :D

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  15. dilbone

dilbone Tele-Afflicted

I'm kinda surprised at all this balking at the videos...

Even if the video is decent quality and you then render it at a lower bit rate for an easier upload you still end up with a lower quality video...not sure what the big deal is.

If you don't want to hear people talk about the guitar then skip ahead...if you don't like the playing...shut it off......it's really very simple

if you want to vote for the best playing go for it...if you want to vote for the best video have at it........here I thought we were voting on which guitars we liked the best...

I'm just stoked to have a new #1 out of all of this...building in the context of the challenge no doubt pushed me to be/do better than I probably would have on my own. Seeing some of the masterpieces built here along the past 2 months can't help but push a person to want be better.

I know there were nicer guitars than the 3 I voted for...but I voted for the 3 that really got my attention...for whatever the reason. That's the beauty of it all and why we have so much diversity in the voting...everyone has a different opinion as to what they like or think is cool.
    I am completely :eek:shocked:eek: to see my number of votes...apparently there must be some affinity for wraparounds, filtertrons and the color orange...It's humbling to think there are people out there that actually like what you built enough to vote for it. As many have already said...I've totally won this thing!!!

16. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think one needs to come up with something unique if you want votes. Otherwise you're just building a typical Telecaster and we've seen that before.

Perhaps future challenges need more than one category. Typical and unique.

17. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

No kidding, one year I came in 3rd with a 'Telecaster' that had a round sound hole and no permanently mounted pickup.

18. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm sure that the thought that there is no way this thing is going to hold together or work was bait to watch the build.....:).

19. dilbone

dilbone Tele-Afflicted

that and the fact that I'm sure most people had never seen a guitar built of craft sticks before...we've all seen rosewood/ash/nitro... people seem to like unique and different...

20. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

By the way, still going strong? It was impressive enough, you making a tele out of popsicle sticks; it'll be even more impressive if it's still rock-solid after a year.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.