1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

2012 Build Challenge VOTING -- Pick your 3 favorites

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by TDPRI, May 17, 2012.

Which 3 of the 2012 Build Challenge guitars do you think is BEST

Poll closed May 24, 2012.
  1. Adirondak5

33 vote(s)
    5.2%
  2. Aikiguy

29 vote(s)
    4.6%
  3. Alexlaguna29

4 vote(s)
    0.6%
  4. Allthesound

18 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. Amadhunter

5 vote(s)
    0.8%
  6. Anyone

7 vote(s)
    1.1%
  7. Axedaddy

19 vote(s)
    3.0%
  8. Barncaster

18 vote(s)
    2.8%
  9. Bowensby23

26 vote(s)
    4.1%
  10. Czook

10 vote(s)
    1.6%
  11. Davecam48

3 vote(s)
    0.5%
  12. Dazzaman

33 vote(s)
    5.2%
  13. Deadicated

10 vote(s)
    1.6%
  14. Desmodog

5 vote(s)
    0.8%
  15. Devo Stevo

2 vote(s)
    0.3%
  16. Dilbone

43 vote(s)
    6.8%
  17. Emoney

11 vote(s)
    1.7%
  18. Flatfive

50 vote(s)
    7.9%
  19. Gitlvr

7 vote(s)
    1.1%
  20. Guitarbuilder

59 vote(s)
    9.3%
  21. Guitar novice

2 vote(s)
    0.3%
  22. Guitarnut

72 vote(s)
    11.4%
  23. Henderson is Go

13 vote(s)
    2.1%
  24. Junk-mutt

4 vote(s)
    0.6%
  25. K-Bru

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  26. Kwerk

215 vote(s)
    33.9%
  27. Maricopa

33 vote(s)
    5.2%
  28. Mike Simpson

29 vote(s)
    4.6%
  29. Mojotron

18 vote(s)
    2.8%
  30. Motor City Tele

80 vote(s)
    12.6%
  31. Muzikp

44 vote(s)
    6.9%
  32. Newtherapist

42 vote(s)
    6.6%
  33. Niallbadass

5 vote(s)
    0.8%
  34. Oigun

160 vote(s)
    25.2%
  35. OpenG Capo4

3 vote(s)
    0.5%
  36. Picton

10 vote(s)
    1.6%
  37. Pulaifaz

2 vote(s)
    0.3%
  38. RCole sooner

25 vote(s)
    3.9%
  39. RogerC

57 vote(s)
    9.0%
  40. R. Stratenstein

11 vote(s)
    1.7%
  41. Scatter Lee

152 vote(s)
    24.0%
  42. Stijnkenens

58 vote(s)
    9.1%
  43. Thunders1988

37 vote(s)
    5.8%
  44. Tklaavo

24 vote(s)
    3.8%
  45. Ugly Guitar Guy

19 vote(s)
    3.0%
  46. Vintage65

77 vote(s)
    12.1%
  47. Volowv

7 vote(s)
    1.1%
  48. Wheelie

72 vote(s)
    11.4%
  49. Whodatpat

15 vote(s)
    2.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

As you should be! The more I look at the pic of your guitar,
    the more I think that it was daring to use gold hardware with
    the orange finish. The gold is a sort of orange, and it almost
    clashes with the orange body.

2. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Tell it to Gretsch

......[​IMG]

3. jpbturbo

jpbturbo Tele-Afflicted

As far as popularity vs. Voting goes, my votes ended up going to guitars that I really didn't notice until the compilation thread went up. I just wish I had managed to finish on time...

4. junk mutt

junk mutt Tele-Meister

Well, I'm more than happy with my 4 votes, :cool::)
    Look out Kwerk I'm right on your tail!!!:lol:

5. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

First run through the entries narrowed my picks down to 7 choices... A second look and I had narrowed it down to 9... DOH!!!

Went through them again and forced myself to choose just 3!

Good luck to all the entries!

6. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

Good point. So maybe not quite as daring as I thought.

I know you like orange, Jack. Do you like the orange/gold
    combo?

7. PapaLion

PapaLion Tele-Afflicted

guitarbuilder> The strong majority have voiced clearly that they prefer a single #1 winner regardless of the variety of builds... 6 string, 12 string, scale differences, Gibson overlays etc... whch IMHO dooms the process to a very limited number of entries and the voting eventually becomes difficult because many quality pieces are not given any due. BUT,on the other hand like several have voiced... we are darned lucky to even have a challenge available, and we like to KISS so this is the result.

I have vowed to try to get healthy enough against some long odds to participate again and God willing I will do that, and play by whatever rules are provided. I even have a guitar in mind, which is harder for me because I do not need or even want any more guitars. I do want the enjoyment of building another keen piece so there is reward.

I will give away a maybe good idea for someone to ponder because I'll not use it... a guitar embracing a brand loyalty... i.e. the Coke-a-Caster, or maybe a (god forbid) Applecaster. Fender did a SoCal Speed shop set Tele and Strat one year and it was FANTASTIC, folks loved it.

I have a lot of welding and fabrication time, Jack is right on, what Vintage65 did is a truly fine feat and it sounded real good too. The clear explaination and I'm sure you will agree if you think about it is>>>> the VOTER is a fickle beast:twisted:

ps: in 2011 I obviously should have won... oh well.

8. Scooby Snax

Scooby Snax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Choosing three makes it even harder, there is one favourite, and then.... 29 second favourites...? Really picking one is easy, who I picked for second & third really is what stumped me. I kept going back and forth on numerous builds, changing my vote, then not pushing the button and changing it again.

9. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Ya know, it's not that I only (so far) got 30 votes, it's that I'm stuck right next to Kwerk with (so far) 193,000 or whatever. :D

Seriously, nobody should get bent if their favorite didn't win, or in their opinion got dissed or whatever. Hell if you really care put your money where your mouth is and PM your favorite with a fair offer. You never know
    (PS, this doesn't apply to me, I'm keepin' it!).

10. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    Just wanted to chime in here and comment that in the past Challenge's there was only one vote for each judging category. I simplified it to one category of judging this year. Our software has only two choices: I could have made it unlimited -- vote for as many as you want OR vote for one. Instead, I decided to modify the software to allow for a set number of multiple votes.

And, in thinking about how to do this I chose 3 votes because there are 3 places.

Looking back on it, I think I could have made it vote for 5 and it would have worked just fine. But at the time, my logic was - 3 wining places = three votes.

I think it's also possible in the future to have a runoff vote -- having the top 10 or 15 move forward to a second round of voting.

But hey, it's all a work in progress right now. Seeing what works and learning what doesn't.

11. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Yep. And I'd hate to be the one to have to decide the rules, or to sort through the mess. I'd have gone postal a long time ago(or cracked under the pressure and gone on vacation in a padded cell).
    Thanks again, Paul, for going through this yet again this year. It's greatly appreciated.

12. Cars & Guitars

Cars & Guitars TDPRI Member

The video is the closest thing to seeing it in person, the photos are nice but to see the guitar in action is much more satisfying than any picture. When I think of all the hours that went into a build and to put a video up that is of poor audio quality is disappointing, there are a number of videos that the adio was very distorted I can't close it fast enough. I spent some time watching every completed build regardless of video quality if it sounded good I watched the whole video, if it had audio that was distorted I would close it right away. A few of the builders had someone else play the guitar and to see how much they enjoyed playing the guitar was way cool. There was a guy on wheelies video that was an amazing and at the end of the video, after playing the guitar for awhile you can here him say " I love playing this thing ". For me that says a lot about the quality of the guitar. For example, take a squire and a American Strat, if the recording is of poor quality they will both sound bad, take the same two guitars and a good video the quality difference will be a bit more apparent, add a good player and let him express the way the two guitars compare and you get a much clearer understanding why the American Strat is a thousand dollars more expensive.
    There are so many nice guitars that were built the videos that were good I watched and the ones that were bad I did not, I am sure that there are many that feel the same, to say the video does not matter, for me it mattered. Good job to all.

13. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

Do you have to rub it in, neighbor? :lol: Guilty as charged.
    Believe me, it wasn't fun putting up an embarrassing video.

14. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

I got the most from others threads out of the videos - all of them, and I think I watched all of them. What a crew!!! There's a lot to these challenges than just guitars and it was great to see some of the personality of guitars and people at times. But then again, I'm pretty stiff in my video... recorded after days of building and then an hour of frantic picture taking as soon as I get it all put together... I have to plan better for next year: I'm just glad that I made it to the deadline with about a day to spare.

Really - the videos are great - one just has to appreciate that we've put hundreds of hours into these instruments and a in some cases about as dead tired as you can get by the time we finish 'em. Video/audio quality is nice, but it's not a big deal to me - they are all entertaining for what they are. And, as an artifact of challenge history, I'm not sure if I would want to see them done any different.

15. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

If people are basing their votes on the production quality of the videos and ignoring the build process... then we are in serious trouble....:)

16. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I do like the combo. The Paul Waller Gretsch/Tele hybrid is probably my favorite of all Telecasters I've seen. That's probably why I was drawn to vintage65's entry. I didn't follow any of the threads during the building process. I've looked at the compilation thread then researched the ones I liked. That's when I discovered that vintage65 made his of steel. That's when I really got impressed. He not only made it of steel, he did a beautiful job. Look at those F-holes.'

I do like TDPRI's idea of having a run-off vote in future challenges. Since this is a contest of guitar building I don't think a builder's playing ability should have anything to do with the outcome. I feel that in the future, videos should just show that the guitar works. I would suggest that everyone play the same thing ............. Maybe a major scale played in various keys.

My hat is off to all who finished. I gave up and quit the first week.

17. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

I don't worry about the videos. The Challenge is hosted in the DIY subforum rather than the Music to Your ears subforum, and that's because it's a "build" challenge rather than a "performance" challenge... or, God forbid, a "video production" challenge.

I get a million times more enjoyment out of reading the threads than I get out of seeing all of us play. JMO, of course.

It sounds like a cliche, but we're all winners because we all (most of us, anyway) came out of this Challenge with an amazing new guitar to enjoy. As for those who didn't participate, it ought to give you some satisfaction to know that the world just sprouted about 50 new teles, each custom-made with love and pride. And that's a great thing.

Good job, Paul. As you say, it's a work in progress... but it works just fine. Keep it up!

18. Cars & Guitars

Cars & Guitars TDPRI Member

I am also amazed at the build and all the hard work that goes into them, I could never build one of any quality. I did not base my choice on the video, the ones I liked I read through the build thread. I felt like i could get a better idea of what the guitar was like and how it might play, and after all those hours of building I know I would want the video to compliment the guitar. You can look at a picture of a race car over and over but it will never give the viewer the feel that the in car video will give. A picture is just that a sliver of the reality of the guitar hearing it rock gets me that much closer to what it is like. If you look at a picture of David Gilmore playing wish you were here, is quite different than listening to the song, and the real deal to watch him play in person.
    The very best would be if you fed ex all the guitars to me and let me play with them and to feel how nice they play, I promise I'll send them back :).
    There is a lot of talent here I am very impressed with all the builds some just bit more than others.

19. BR06623

BR06623 Tele-Meister

I voted. I picked 3, and given another chance I might pick three others. Very difficult to choose. This has been such fun! I hope to be able to participate in the next challenge.

As far as the video goes, I was embarrassed to put mine up, but I did enjoy watching all of them. It felt like I was getting to know some of my new friends just a little bit.

And I agree with Flatfive, it is the closest I will get to seeing these guitars in person.

20. dilbone

dilbone Tele-Afflicted

We clearly need to institute the electoral college.....:lol::lol::lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.