1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

2012 Build Challenge VOTING -- Pick your 3 favorites

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by TDPRI, May 17, 2012.

Which 3 of the 2012 Build Challenge guitars do you think is BEST

Poll closed May 24, 2012.
  1. Adirondak5

33 vote(s)
    5.2%
  2. Aikiguy

29 vote(s)
    4.6%
  3. Alexlaguna29

4 vote(s)
    0.6%
  4. Allthesound

18 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. Amadhunter

5 vote(s)
    0.8%
  6. Anyone

7 vote(s)
    1.1%
  7. Axedaddy

19 vote(s)
    3.0%
  8. Barncaster

18 vote(s)
    2.8%
  9. Bowensby23

26 vote(s)
    4.1%
  10. Czook

10 vote(s)
    1.6%
  11. Davecam48

3 vote(s)
    0.5%
  12. Dazzaman

33 vote(s)
    5.2%
  13. Deadicated

10 vote(s)
    1.6%
  14. Desmodog

5 vote(s)
    0.8%
  15. Devo Stevo

2 vote(s)
    0.3%
  16. Dilbone

43 vote(s)
    6.8%
  17. Emoney

11 vote(s)
    1.7%
  18. Flatfive

50 vote(s)
    7.9%
  19. Gitlvr

7 vote(s)
    1.1%
  20. Guitarbuilder

59 vote(s)
    9.3%
  21. Guitar novice

2 vote(s)
    0.3%
  22. Guitarnut

72 vote(s)
    11.4%
  23. Henderson is Go

13 vote(s)
    2.1%
  24. Junk-mutt

4 vote(s)
    0.6%
  25. K-Bru

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  26. Kwerk

215 vote(s)
    33.9%
  27. Maricopa

33 vote(s)
    5.2%
  28. Mike Simpson

29 vote(s)
    4.6%
  29. Mojotron

18 vote(s)
    2.8%
  30. Motor City Tele

80 vote(s)
    12.6%
  31. Muzikp

44 vote(s)
    6.9%
  32. Newtherapist

42 vote(s)
    6.6%
  33. Niallbadass

5 vote(s)
    0.8%
  34. Oigun

160 vote(s)
    25.2%
  35. OpenG Capo4

3 vote(s)
    0.5%
  36. Picton

10 vote(s)
    1.6%
  37. Pulaifaz

2 vote(s)
    0.3%
  38. RCole sooner

25 vote(s)
    3.9%
  39. RogerC

57 vote(s)
    9.0%
  40. R. Stratenstein

11 vote(s)
    1.7%
  41. Scatter Lee

152 vote(s)
    24.0%
  42. Stijnkenens

58 vote(s)
    9.1%
  43. Thunders1988

37 vote(s)
    5.8%
  44. Tklaavo

24 vote(s)
    3.8%
  45. Ugly Guitar Guy

19 vote(s)
    3.0%
  46. Vintage65

77 vote(s)
    12.1%
  47. Volowv

7 vote(s)
    1.1%
  48. Wheelie

72 vote(s)
    11.4%
  49. Whodatpat

15 vote(s)
    2.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. alscort93

alscort93 Tele-Meister

That was one of my 3!!!

2. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

I concur. However, the criteria for voting is not who did the best job, or who built the most challenging build, or who was the most inventive or innovative. It was simply "vote for the three guitars you like the best".
    Unfortunately, in a contest where the viewers of this forum will be allowed to pick the winners, popularity will win out over every other consideration(for the most part) every time. Those members whose threads are followed the most will be the ones who will get the most votes, by and large. Not a slam at whomever wins this thing. The three builders in the running are all very accomplished builders, and the guitars are first rate.
    This is one of the reasons I incorrectly assumed that there would be a final panel of builders who frequent this site which would eventually decide the winner, as was part of the discussion at the beginning of this Challenge, if I recall correctly.
    Having said all that, what can you do?
    Paul could bend over backward so much that he'd physically be twisted in knots, trying to accommodate every variable, and there would still be someone who would be unhappy with how things turned out. At least done by popular vote, we, the forum as a whole, have only ourselves to blame if we don't like the outcome. I'm satisfied with the rules as they are.

3. earoach

earoach Tele-Meister

As a recent newcomer to this forum, I would agree with gitlvr. It was my understanding that a popular vote by members thru this website would decide the winner (s). Sounds like a plan.

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, it was very cool, but what are ya gonna do? You only get 3 votes. The 4th-coolest guitar gets none of the love.

5. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Err, everyone gets 3 votes on two different polls. The big poll, and the beginner poll.
    That's a total of 6 guitar build votes. :D

6. Scatter Lee

Scatter Lee Friend of Leo's

nothing wrong about being 6th of 49 with three day voting left

I love the great pumpkin

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Umm, but you don't get to vote for vintage65's guitar in the beginner poll. :Dx2

8. anyone

anyone Tele-Holic

Cheers, man!

9. anyone

anyone Tele-Holic

And I'm sure the fact that it's orange has got nothing to do with it....

It was really difficult to vote this year - only 3 votes to allocate, 5 fiddles I personally want, and a whole slew of great builds.... It's a fool who looks for logic in the voting of TDPRI's build challenge.

10. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

None taken. You should know I wouldn't have even recorded a video if it hadn't been a requirement :).

11. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Actually, I have been surprised that some of the most popular (in terms of thread views) have not done as well as might be thought.

There is, of course, going to be a difference between a viewer who is basing the vote on the end result, rather than having read through all the threads. It was hard enough keeping up with the threads going through, so I can't imagine anyone reading them all to make a choice, though perhaps people will have a shortlist and then read all those threads.

It would be interesting to know the results at the end if the votes of only those who entered into the contest in the first place (even if they did not subsequently complete for whatever reason). That would be sort of a "peer view". Not as a prize or anything, just to know.
    As said, doesn't matter what rules are in place, it wouldn't be the best. Personally I would have liked a top five rather than three, but that is just me.

12. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Hey Mike,

I'm not sure that was ever discussed here. I know last years was simply by popular vote as well. I think you may be confusing it with the OLF build challenge going on.

Jack, we also had people build guitars out of concrete, popsicle sticks, stained glass... Vintage's guitar is absolutely beautiful. It's one that I would love to own, but there have been quite a few guitars made from metal already, so the medium wasn't terribly ground-breaking. I say that with NO intention of taking anything away from Vintage's build. As a matter of fact, I think I actually voted for him. While I understand your enthusiasm, lets not forget that others here put just as much work into their guitars and are just as deserving of votes.

13. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

That is a distinct possibility, since I originally entered that as well, and then had to withdraw. I can't find the rules discussion thread, but it doesn't really matter in the end. It's a moot point anyway. There were a lot of things discussed that didn't make it into the final rules for this Challenge. That's why things were discussed openly. So that Paul could come up with what he considered the best way to go about this. Whichever way he decided to do this, I'd be willing to bet that these Challenges every year are a boatload of work and a lot of headache for him, and the people who may be helping him. I'm just happy that he still chooses to do this every year. It's been a ton of fun!

14. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Jack,
    Don't you think this is kind of ironic considering all the other guitars that did not win in 2010 for the same reason... the popular vote...

In my opinion, 2009 was the only fairly judged contest.

15. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

Actually, only three of the 8 builds getting the most votes,
    were in the 8 most-viewed threads.

Some of the top vote-getters were quite low in terms of
    thread views, ranking in the mid 20's.

Not that I'm watching the voting or anything. :oops:

16. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

Indeed a beautiful guitar and very cool metal work.

Voting on vintage65's beautiful entry could be affected by
    the fact that his entry in last year's challenge was
    also metal -- the novelty factor wasn't as high this year.

We are lucky to have people like vintage65 participating here.

17. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

True, but the flaw in your logic is that the number of responses or views to a thread do not equal the number of people who viewed said thread. Since some members will and do respond several times to individual threads, and every response counts as a view, it is entirely possible for the most popular build/builder to be one that does not have as many views as another, just more individual views than others(more popular to the members as a whole). There's a difference. The very definition of the winner in a popular vote(which is what this is) is the guy that was most popular. No way to escape that, IMHO.

18. vintage65

vintage65 TDPRI Member

:oops: guys, I feel honored.

19. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I think in a perfect world, you'd have different categories or classes. Kind of like a car show. Best Mopar, Best Chevy, Best Ford, Best Foreign Car...etc. You might have a best in show too. That of course means more work to set things up and juggle software and numbers I'm sure. If it were easy to do, I'm sure it would have been done that way. We don't have that option, so we should all have fun and watch what happens in the end. It's kind of fun just watching the numbers go down and up.

I have said this before, if you don't go into it expecting to win you won't be disappointed with the results. :).

20. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

My view exactly! I don't go into this trying to win, I do it because it's really a ton of fun! I think also that's one of the reasons I prefer the name "Build Challenge" as opposed to "Build Contest". It's the challenge of building the guitar in the time frame allotted, as well as the fact that you've joined with a bunch of other guys trying to do the same thing.
    As for winning, I already have. This guitar is my best work to date, and I built my dream Tele, the one I've always wanted, alongside a great group of other builders I both respect and admire. I also learned what I was capable of in 2 month's time, with the proper attitude and planning. Not possible to lose, if you look at it that way.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.