2012 AVRI 52 Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Tele5284, Mar 21, 2020.

1. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

It would be interesting to hear the techniques you try, and pics along the way if you can manage it. I'm sure lots of folks would appreciate a window into this process.

2. Tele5284

Tele5284 TDPRI Member

The only issue I have is the poly undercoat. I think in order to make it look right and get the natural effect I want. It would have to be stripped of nitro and poly on the body and the re painted and new nitro. But I need thinner nitro.

3. jsegovia

jsegovia TDPRI Member

Dang it, I'd pretty much made up my mind I want an American Deluxe Tele in three-color sunburst, but these AVRIs are such handsome guitars, it makes me waiver! Must .. not ... succumb!

Jesse

nicknklv likes this.
  4. Tele5284

Tele5284 TDPRI Member

Get what you want, but I gotta say I love mine.

nobis17 likes this.
  5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The poly is the same nitro formulation that Fender used on all or most of their Custom Shop guitars during that period. My 2011 CS Wildwood 10 52 (now sold) was the same.

I remember picking up one of these back in 2010, before I was in the market, and thinking "oooh, nice...."

Then the internet told me I was wrong, and these were awful - didn't I know anything?

Because we had the later AV line to choose from, with their admittedly AMAZING finishes, I heeded common 'wisdom', and ignored the old AVRIs.

But last year, I found myself choosing between two '52 reissues. A 2005 in NOS condition, and a 2016 that had been played a lot. I chose the only path that made sense, and kept both.

Yes, I prefer the thin finish on the AVs, and the generally lighter weight, but the AVRIs are still friggin' nice. Since then, I finally gave in on neck size, and bought an AVRI 62 Custom (double bound). Similar finish, nitro with poly under. It's also a lovely guitar.

Why not buy a new AO if I wanted a double-bound? Because I need a 7.25" radius, and those are fast becoming extinct.

Enjoy yours. Focus on the pretty wood, and pretty sounds. It's still nitro, so it'll age well. And unlike the later AVs, your finish won't eventually all fall off.

6. Tele5284

Tele5284 TDPRI Member

Thank you, it’s not a deal breaker, I basically got this guitar for free so I’m not upset about it. The weight is great 7.6 lbs. and it sounds excellent!

7. Tele5284

Tele5284 TDPRI Member

has anyone put laquer on there bakelite pickguards?

8. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

Did you put it in the freezer then immediately by something red hot for the entire day (airing cupboard/boiler room)?

Try that for six weeks.

Days in the heat, nights in the freezer.

9. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

I was going to say Ed King's guitar looks like some of the shop damaged AVRI from GC.

10. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Congratulations on this beauty!

I'm late to the party, you got all the information you needed or wanted, bit I will follow your relic process if you share it with us. I am sure a lot of folks here would be interested.

Welcome to the forum :)

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

First, Welcome! And congrats on a nice guitar with a modern lacquer finish that heals much of the time when you try to accelerate aging.

That pickguard on there is not bakelite. But I'm pretty sure someone here could make you one that is, or steer you towards one, with lacquer, worn off in the right places.

Mr. Ed King - the best thing that ever happened to a small band from NE Florida. :^)

I don't think that pre 2012 lacquer color was arrived at in the right way, to leave a white residue. As your guitar ages, hunks of the top coat may start to slough off in large chips or even sheets, with the pigment basically undegraded. The "Nitro" St. Leo used back then tends to disintegrate ( instead of delaminating ) and the color destabilized into its constituent elements. The Wonders of Modern Chemistry are working against you I'm afraid.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020 at 12:59 AM
  12. KevinL818

KevinL818 TDPRI Member

Here's something I saved from an earlier thread. Sorry, just saved the text. I don't know who posted it originally.
    Hope it helps.

AVRI: 2012 and earlier - poly sealer, thick nitro, slab boards on most rosewood models, 7.5" radius, old style frets, heavy yellow neck tint

AV: 2013–2017 - lacquer sealer, thin nitro, Round-Lam boards on most rosewood models, 7.5" radius, old style frets, new Pure Vintage pickup sets, almost no yellow neck tint

AO: 2018–present - poly sealer, thick nitro, Round-Lam boards on most rosewood models, 9.5" radius, taller frets, Pure Vintage pickup sets, almost no yellow neck tint

13. Tele5284

Tele5284 TDPRI Member

I’m going to strip it, repaint it and nitro it. And yes it is a Bakelite pickguard. At least that’s what fender says. I have access to some really weird nitro made locally and it responds very well to cold temps, it doesn’t heal its self like modern nitro.

14. Tele5284

Tele5284 TDPRI Member

Thank you for the information. And for the welcome.

15. moosie

I think a lot of this 'healing' is simply that the checks need some contrast to see properly. Rub some dirt in there, and you'll see what I mean. Obviously, something else may work better than dirt, but I'll leave that up to you.

Not Bakelite? That doesn't sound right. Both my AV and AVRI sure look, and act like Bakelite. The AVRI is shiny, I don't know if it's from lacquer or buffing. Just like my former Custom Shop in that regard.

16. moosie

For the record, the AVRI frets are very tiny, similar to a 6230 fret wire. Think vintage Martin or Gretsch. The AV and AO frets are either the same as each other, or darn close. I only played an AO once, and I didn't measure, but the frets felt like my AVs. These are all taller than 6230, and smaller than 6105. (but not a lot smaller).

17. Tele5284

Tele5284 TDPRI Member

Yea, I have some stuff I could put on there and you are right if I would have them the checks would have stay. But since there is no arm wear or heavy wear to the guitar I didn’t think it would look right to have all those checks and no real wear.

18. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

This. I recently started paying more attention to fret size, as I’ve come to realize that for me, the fret size makes more of a difference than neck profile or even radius. My AV64 frets are big compared to my classic 60’s Jag, though both are spec’d as “vintage”. And they are narrower and shorter than the 6105s on my strat.

A lot of this information is available thanks to the fine folks here at TDPRI. Per one of those sources, @omlove

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/fender-vs-warmoth-fret-size.972647/#post-9276012
    On Fender website
    6105: .090″ x .055″
    6150: .102″ x .042″
    https://www.fender.com/articles/gear/different-fret-sizes-explained

On Warmoth website
    6105: .095" X .047"
    6150: .104" X .047"
    https://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/fretsize.aspx

On Stewmac website
    Medium high .095" x .045"
    Wide medium 0.103" x 0.46"
    https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Fretwire/StewMac_Medium_Fretwire.html
    https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Fretwire/StewMac_Wide_Fretwire.html

Fender also has a “narrow jumbo” on the American Pro, spec’d At .094 x .054. Can’t find a numeric code on these.

Don’t even get me started on Allparts. I love my Allparts neck, but “medium” frets there might mean anything.

To me, this is all pretty ridiculous and should be as much a “standard” as anything, though I realize we live in a world where a 2x4 is 1.75”x3.75”.

A while back, some fine somebody here had posted measurements of their American Vintage guitar’s fret size... .079x.051 If memory serves.

This is actually very close to the Allparts neck I have with “medium” frets, that I believe we’re spec’d at .081 x .049 (personally, I love this). Feels the same as my AV64 tele... at least as far as I can tell... ymmv.

The AO’s are proper 6105 right? Anybody have that spec sheet?

Sorry to get all soap-boxy, but you folks sharing this knowledge base helped me shop for a project neck a while back. Just hoping to pass it on. Goes to show you, there’s no substitute for playing a guitar before even reading the specsheet, let alone buying it.

19. moosie

Any guitars that I don't refret, I measure wire width with calipers, and height with a dial indicator (Nut Slotting Gauge). Heights are dead on, widths may be off by a thousandth or two. Lacquered maple boards, the frets appear around .005" shorter due to the lacquer. And the calipers measure them .010" wider than reality, because of that lacquer thickness on the sidewalls, x 2.

In general, 2012+ AVs are .084 x .048, and earlier AVRIs are .082 x .040, give or take.

My 2018 Johnny Marr Jag, which is very similar in build to the AVs, measures .086 x .044. Different wire? My measuring error? Not sure, but I was pretty careful and checked a bunch of frets. Rosewood board, never dressed after the fact.

My maple board AVs (52, 58) and AVRI (52) mirror the measurements for their rosewood board counterparts, after adjusting for the lacquer as mentioned above.

I don't have my AVRI 69 Thinline anymore, but it was in line with the other AVRIs. On a maple board, that's a fret height of .035. Dress 'em once, and you're playing .031... That's pretty tiny, but wouldn't have been out of place back then.

I have a AV65 Jazzmaster, but it's an outlier, because it's a Wildwood Thin Skin. In the case of the AV line, which already have about the thinnest skin imaginable, what's the difference? Custom colors (Aztec Gold, matching headstock in this case), and a 9.5" radius and larger fret wire. I know a lot of people like that, but I'm not a fan of the flat radius and big wire. The frets measure a whopping .095 x .060.

If that's not a 6105, it's pretty close. My 57 and 63 CS Strats are similar. I measured the 63, because of the rosewood board, and got .096 x .052.

I've not measured an AO. I wonder if they're closer to the modern AV, or to Wildwood / 6105...?

Given the choice, I prefer smaller frets, like those on the earlier AVRIs. But give me the finish, and the necks, on the later AVs. One reason I began building my own from scratch, though perfecting the finish is a real challenge.

I use StewMac #0148 on my builds. They call it Medium / Medium, but keep in mind they're speaking of the whole universe, including mandolin wire. #0148s measure .084 x .039. Pretty small.

I also like their Narrow / Medium #0147, which is .080 x .040.

Gretsch MIJ reissues also use the tiny fret wire. My '59 reissue 6120 measures .081 x .040, and I refretted my MIJ 6128 Duo Jet, matching the existing wire *exactly* with StewMac #0147.

whoanelly15 and mimmo like this.
  20. Tele5284

Tele5284 TDPRI Member

So I emailed Fender to get the info on my guitar and this is what they sent me:

Good Morning,

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us! I was able to locate serial number 76425 in our system and found the following:

*76425/ 0100202850/ AM VINT 52 TELE BTB/ 04-05-2012
    Model Name American Vintage 52 Telecaster® Reissue, Maple Fingerboard, Butterscotch Blonde
    Model #0100202850
    Series American Vintage
    Country Of Origin US
    Color Butterscotch Blonde
    Body Premium Ash
    Body Finish Nitrocellulose Lacquer
    Body Shape Telecaster®
    Neck Material Maple
    Neck Finish Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
    Neck Shape"U" Shape
    Scale Length 25.5" (648 mm)
    Fingerboard Maple
    Fingerboard Radius 7.25" (184.1 mm)
    Number of Frets 21
    Frets

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.