2012 AVRI 52 Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Tele5284, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Tele5284

Tele5284 TDPRI Member

Just bought a 52 avri, love the guitar. I just had a question I couldn’t find the answer to through a google search so I thought I could try here. I’ve looked at several 52 tele reissues and they all say nitro neck and body. But does the body have poly under the nitro. Mine has a few chip outs on it and I don’t see poly, but I just thought I would ask. Thanks

57fenderstrat likes this.
  2. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

As I understand it they kept to the original specs as best as they could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

2012-2017 are nitro sealer and nitro top “flash coat” or “thin-skin” or whatever they call it. These years are the best versions if you really want to nail down period correct down to the finish.

nicknklv and Fretting out like this.
  4. Turtleneck

Turtleneck TDPRI Member

My '12 AV seems to be thin skin. I used to own a BSB AVRI that had the thick almost glass-like poly stuff. Similar to those old fashioned butterscotch candies we used to eat as kids.

By the way, this Tele has the best telecaster neck I've ever played. It's perfect. Not too big, not too small, not sticky. Perfect.

5. Tele5284

Tele5284 TDPRI Member

Thank you for your responses, I work for Gibson but have always preferred a tele over a les Paul. Was able to get a used one so I jumped on it. The neck, the vibrations in the the body, the tone it’s perfect. I really don’t see much difference between this tele and a custom shop version. Other than the sticker on the back of the headstock.

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

2012 was a transition year. If it was made in the last few months of the year, and is more opaque (little grain showing), and more yellow than orange, then it's what we call an AV. (Fender dropped the RI 'reissue' at that time). Else, it's one of the last AVRIs.

The AVRIs were nitro with poly undercoat. If you pull the guard, you might be able to see a vinyl-like edge as body meets pickup cavity. Or in the neck pocket. That's a good teltale.

The AVs are all nitro (whatever that means, because it still includes some form of undercoat, grain fill, etc etc). Less plasticizer anyway, and very, very thin. Probably 3-4 times thinner than the AVRIs. I have one of each, and have measured 23 (or 27, I can't remember) thousandths of an inch on the AVRI, and a chip off my AV (down to bare wood) was only .007".

Both guitars are nice, but I feel Fender outdid themselves with the later model.

Fretting out and AlbertaGriff like this.
  7. Tele5284

Tele5284 TDPRI Member

8C72D1B7-CBDE-45DB-9FC8-094970F4E5E3.jpeg 6DA2F670-6E9A-4B8F-B90F-68438C6AC881.jpeg 56C463A7-8B54-4EDB-B176-34333F76C65A.jpeg 0655DF99-DEA8-43E2-9D38-64C9840FCA5D.jpeg Here’s a few pics maybe ya’ll can help me.

8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Bear in mind, every single Fender ever made with the exception of prototypes has an inert sealer on the wood. Ash Telecasters were sealed, and pore filled, and then and painted. It's also why Fender went to alder when production ramped up for solid colours - less process work.

Leo picked nitro because in the 40s and 50s it's what car companies used, was quick and easy to paint, buff and repair. Once they went to acrylic lacquer because nitro faded so fast so did Leo. They kept using lacquer topcoat until late sixties. Lacquer means thinned with acetone and you can spray one over the other pretty much.

The 'nitro' that guitar manufacturers use today isn't the same stuff and can't be applied in the same way for OH&S and EPA reasons. They used sealer to close the pores, filler to level the surface and surfacing coats under topcoat, for cost control. Nitro topcoat is ten times the price of sealer and would require many more coats and hours of labour.

There's no mystery over it. Fender used ash and maple for price and ease of supply and the modular and less expensive manufacture of Fender solid bodies lent itself to quick and easy finishing. Compare that to a Gibson jazz or Lester - idea was to use as little paint as possible - for costs not anything to do with sound. Hence, blonde not solid colours.

It's the same reason alder bodies - all of them - were dipped in watery sealer then dipped in dye, whether they were going to be sunburst or not. Saved you painting yellow like early ash 2-bursts.

I had a 78 Tele with one thick polyester coat on sealed ash, and it was thinner than the 2002 AVRI poly undercoat and topcoat. The poly even where brand new under the pickguard wasn't very glossy but went on in one shot.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    boris bubbanov and Fretting out like this.
  9. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Based on the pics, I would say yours is the 1998-2012 AVRI. The one with the poly undercoat.

How many digits after your V on the bridge plate? If it is 5, it's the older model. If there are 6 digits, starting with 12, it would be a 2012-2017 AV/PV.

Both versions are great.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  10. Tele5284

Tele5284 TDPRI Member

It just says 76425 on the bridge plate

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  11. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Yes, that is definitely the 1998-mid 2012 version, the AVRI '52. The transition to the revised model (AV '52) occurred circa August 2012 - at least they were publicly released in mid-August; I'm sure production changed over a couple of months ahead of that time period.

The older versions had just a number stamped on the bridge plate for the serial number. The revised/AV '52 began using a different serial number format that started with a V, followed by 2 digits for the year, then 5 digits for the serial number (so a 2012 would have had a "V12xxxxx" serial number on the bridge plate).

12. Turtleneck

Turtleneck TDPRI Member

This serial # is a "V12_____". It's seriously as good as any CS I've ever played.

M4sXuZr+Rd29IGZB78SExw.jpg

13. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

My bad, yes the 1998-2012 version was just 5 digits.

Mystery solved.

14. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

Mine's a 2012 also, it definitely feels like a pretty hard, poly-like base and very thin nitro finish on top, and it is wearing off quite a bit. What you see exposed is not bare wood, but a hard undercoat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hemmings, mimmo and dlew919 like this.
  15. moosie

Yours is definitely the older AVRI line.

Here are my 52s. 2005 on the left, and 2016 on the right. Both very nice guitars.

20190923_173933.jpg

16. moosie

Here's the thick finish on the 2005. See the razor blade lifting it up a bit, for the photo. The other pic is of my AV 58, 2013, which has a similar finish to the later AV52s. Very, very thin nitro. I think it was a bit too fragile for most consumers, though, so now we have the AO line...

20190922_012253.jpg chip.JPG

boris bubbanov, gobi_grey and mimmo like this.
  17. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Yes, you definitely have an AVRI telecaster.
    Really a nice guitar, congrats!

18. Tele5284

Tele5284 TDPRI Member

Thanks again for all the replies. You guys are very helpful and informative. Not gonna lie, I hate that there is poly on this guitar, but it must be very thin, the body vibrates very well when played.

50hz and PixMix like this.
  19. Tele5284

Tele5284 TDPRI Member

788E2D46-EA8C-467A-ACA5-C3EEF9A7B612.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  20. Tele5284

Tele5284 TDPRI Member

FBF558AA-2E77-43EA-8CB3-680ACCA7FEB4.jpeg 36EE06CF-4400-451E-8AF4-85121EC4593D.jpeg
    This is Ed King’s 54 tele, I kinda want to relic mine to look like his. I work in the aging department at the Gibson custom shop. I put my tele in the freezer to see what would happen. It did check, but most of it healed up. In certain light you can see the checks that stayed.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    Clifton C likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.