1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

2010 TDPRI $210 Challenge - Roll the Dice

Discussion in '2010 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by jlock1028, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Got little more done on the neck last night, hope to get more done tonight. Tried a couple of different tints on some of the maple neck cut offs. The reranch aerosol neck tint looked a little too yellow for my tastes but the powder amber mixed with denatured alcohol looked pretty good (after several mixture tries). Found out once again that more sanding was needed after applying the tint. Guess I should have rubbed the neck with mineral spirits before tinting to identify the uneven sanding areas.

Attached Files:

2. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

I will finish the current neck (the so called practice neck) but once completed will try to finish this flamed maple neck with a Cocobolo fret board. Time is running out!

Attached Files:

3. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Put 4 coats of tru oil on the neck and looks pretty good (if you don't count the blotchy areas :lol:) Also sprayed several coats of lacquer on the pickguard. Good time to spray lacquer in central Florida with the humidity around 50% the last couple of days. Seems like we only get about 4 days a year under 95%.

Attached Files:

4. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Invited to a friends house this evening for dinner. They have another friend visiting from out of town who builds mandolins (and acoustic guitars) for a living. When they mentioned what I'm doing, he suggested I bring my build with me and he would critique it. I had to look him up on line.....

http://www.altmanguitars.net/instruments.html

Guess he knows what he's doing at $9,950.00 a pop with 10 to 12 month wait. I'll be taking a lot of notes tonight!

Attached Files:

5. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Flamed Maple neck w/Cocbolo board

Got a little more done on the second neck. The first one piece is complete and can be used if this one isn't completed on time. Marked the fret slots then lined up the center lines of both pieces and drilled the holes to for the pins to keep the fret board from swimming when being glued.

Attached Files:

6. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Cut the fret and nut slots then used the acrylic urethane caulk to secure the non adjustable truss rod.

Attached Files:

7. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Then aligned the pins and pin holes in the fret board and glued them together.

Attached Files:

8. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Heat index at 97 degrees Central Florida

It's hot out there! Unable to complete the second neck so I will level and dress the frets on the first (the so-called practice neck) as well as make a nut. Lost some of the pictures (???) using the fret rocker and marking the high spots on the frets, oh well. Of course it all begins with taping the fret board. Here are the tools used to dress and level. I was surprised at the effectiveness of just using sandpaper for much of this process.

Attached Files:

9. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Next steps, mark radius and string spacing on bone nut blank, then rough in string slots.

Attached Files:

10. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Installed the tuners and the output jack cup then began wiring. The control plate was purchased from ebay and other than adding a pio capacitor nothing else was added. The existing wiring did not resemble any diagram I have seen so far and did not function on the middle position when tested, so had to rewire the complete rig.

11. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Don't know why the pictures didn't post...but here they are.

Attached Files:

12. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

The last leg.

The decal. The name Feral was given to our dog by my son over 18 years ago. She proved a pedigree was totally unnecessary to be (as my wife says) the best dog ever. From the beginning this build had a rustic theme, and certainly no pedigree, which fits right in with the definition of Feral:

'Existing or returned to a wild(e) or untamed state, having a rugged, unkempt appearance or suggestive of a wild(e) animal; savage'

Attached Files:

13. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

The Costs

Here's the damage so far:

Body $ 6.67 Ebay $19.99 / 3 = $6.67
    Neck $ 2.50 Ebay $9.99 / 4 = $2.50
    Fret Dots $ 4.46 Stewmac
    Frets $ 4.01 Stewmac $44.43/11 = $4.01
    Nut $ 2.00 Ebay
    Neck Plate $ 1.25 Ebay Lot of 20 for $25.00
    Tuners $ 21.95 GFS
    Strings $ 4.00 Music Center
    String Ferrules $ 5.93 Stewmac
    String Trees $ 1.41 Stewmac $2.81/2 = $1.41
    Control Plate $ 7.26 Ebay
    Control Knobs $ 5.00 Ebay
    Out Put Jack + Cover $ 9.62
    Stewmac (electrosocket) and Ebay (jack)
    Neck Pick Up $ 28.00 Bill Lawrence neck p/up
    Bridge Pick Up $ 29.00 Bill Lawrence bridge p/up
    Bridge $ 8.00 Ebay
    Pick Guard $ 2.00 Mcmaster Carr
    Strap Knobs $ 0.99 Ebay
    Screws $ 4.00 Ebay
    Filler $ 4.00 Reranch
    Tru oil $ 6.00 Woodcraft
    $ 158.41

14. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

What a learning experience this was...especially working on the neck. Made a lot of mistakes which I'll talk about in a bit under the posting of "the good, the bad and the ugly". But first, the finished product. Sorry about the picture quality, it does not do close ups very well. The first thing bought for next years contest is a new camera.

Attached Files:

15. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

I can only upload 4 pictures at a time, here's more.

Attached Files:

16. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

and more....as I've only built 2 tele's from scratch, just couldn't resist posing them together.

Attached Files:

17. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

The good. I really liked the way the turned out looks wise. It's just as hoped for. It's sounds great! The Keystone pups are as advertised and enjoyable even for someone with my limited playing capability (think of me as Jimmy Strummer). The best part though is the amount learned from this build and from looking in on the rest of the builders. 68thinline said it best earlier "the more mistakes made the more you learn". In that case, I learned a ton!

Attached Files:

18. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

The Bad. A broken bolt in the bridge will have to be drilled and removed. It doesn't affect playability and the bridge is stable but what a pain in the butt. There is fret buzz and fret out on the treble strings between the 9th and 12th frets. I let it sit overnight and is much improved so I will let it sit another day or two before re-leveling the frets. I'm not sure if I had installed a truss rod if this would have been an issue.

Attached Files:

19. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

The Ugly. Almost all of these issues could have been avoided if the "measure twice cut once" rule had been followed. There is a misalligned tuner hole which throws the whole tuner row off. The 17th and 19th fret dots misalligned and the 18th, 19th and 20th fret slots are slightly crooked. All of these errors have not been repeated in the second neck currently being built. Seems an old dog can be taught new tricks. All I have to say is...can't wait till next year! See you then.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.