1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

2010 TDPRI $210 Challenge - Roll the Dice

Discussion in '2010 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by jlock1028, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

and then rubbed it down a couple of times with denatured alcohol to lighten it up some.

Attached Files:

2. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

What do I do with these voids?

There are a couple of voids in the knots of this body. Should I fill them with super glue, grain filler or something else? What is the best way to handle this?

Attached Files:

3. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Neck work

Time to start posting the neck work. This will be my first neck built from scratch. As such, it seems safer to have a plan b (and c). Plan B is this economy neck from GFS, just in case I am unable to complete my neck before the deadline.

Attached Files:

4. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Plan A is to complete a neck cut from this slab of maple. There is enough lumber to complete 4 necks. The plan for this neck is for it to be a one piece but minus the truss rod. I want to take it one step at a time...

Attached Files:

5. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

If that goes well, and time permitting, I would like to try a second neck with the very rustic looking (heavy mineral stains) flamed maple using a non adjustable truss rod and fret board. There are three options on the fret board. Cocobolo, Bocote and a Rosewood board from stewmac. This would be the ideal option for the total rustic look that's planned.

Attached Files:

6. CJFearn

CJFearn Tele-Holic

Just leave 'em, it fits to the style and adds character! Also, you'll never get that stain sorted out if you put anything in there (unless your name is George Frank ;)).

This is going to be one beautiful guitar! That wood is just plain nice!!! All of it!

7. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Thanks CJ. I have to say that your build is beyond beautiful! Great work!

8. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

4th neck option

After looking over the rest of the wood scattered around the garage I found a piece of flamed maple that would make a nice neck. I am listing all options as working on several necks at a time seems like the right thing to do (given my propensity for screw ups). All options other than the first will utilize a non adjustable truss rod from stewmac and fretboard. I will document the first one piece maple neck that I'm using to learn on until (if/when) another option is chosen.

Attached Files:

9. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

This is the one piece plain maple slab that will be my first neck. Here we go, baby steps...

Attached Files:

10. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Shaping the headstock.

Attached Files:

11. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

*note to self - When using the bandsaw to thin the headstock remember to leave thick enough to sand down. After rough sanding, the headstock is thinner than any other headstock measured, although the finish still needs to be accounted for. In the future, the spindle sander may be the best option for this work from the start?

12. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Read the directions first. Read...Them...First...

Roughing in the fret slots, spacing the position markers and installing the markers.

My 77 year old dad jumped in to hold the neck for me...can you tell he's a N.Y. Yankee fan? He is asked where ever he goes if he played for the Yankees (see the rings and watch), he answers they are World Series rings and he's in the hall of fame. What a joker.

Attached Files:

13. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Another note to self. Pay closer attention when drilling marker holes. Frets 17 and 19 are a little off, good thing this is a semi-practice neck. I say practice as the more mistakes made the more probable another option will be used.

Attached Files:

14. Dmann

Dmann Tele-Meister

I have lots of reconditioned tools and have never had a problem with them.

15. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The very best way to fill those voids is with a two part epoxy. That way it won't add funky colors to your already stained body. It will simply fill them in with an almost clear liquid. So the character of the knots is still there, but it wont allow moisture to settle in there and expand the cracks.

16. 68thinline

68thinline Tele-Afflicted

Don't worry. On my first build I put two side dots on the 10th fret instead of the 12th. Woops!

No one will ever mistake it for a real Fender. But it plays just fine.

The more mistakes the more you learn...

17. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the info. I filled them today with the two part epoxy...probably should have filled them a second time before using the grain filler as they seen to have settled in. As 68thinline just said, "the more mistakes you make the more you learn".

18. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Here are a couple of pictures of the grain filling process. I mixed the dyes directly into the grain filler instead of diluting them with alcohol first. The dyes used were, dark walnut, tobacco and orange.

Attached Files:

19. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

I did this on a body bought on ebay and it turned out great.. I liked the way you could see the subtle hint of the colors used in the dyes (multiple browns, green, orange, and red). I mixed until about 99% of the granules dissolve in the filler then apply, followed by wiping down with a terry towel soaked in mineral spirits. This seems to dissipate and spread the remaining granules within the grain itself with a great effect. It’s visable to the naked eye but didn’t seem to come though in the photos

Attached Files:

20. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Another question.

It seems to me the stain was absorbed unevenly across the body. The two pictures in post 41 and the picture below show it. The sides of the body also have a couple of "stripes" of lighter shading particularly around the contours. Does this indicate more sanding was needed?

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.