1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

2010 TDPRI $210 Challenge - Roll the Dice

Discussion in '2010 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by jlock1028, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Thanks! I'm very happy with it even though there were many errors made while building it....but learned a lot doing it. It even came in under $90 nitro finish and all.

2. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

The next step is the output jack hole

Attached Files:

3. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

And then on to the string holes.

Attached Files:

4. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

And now for the moment of truth. Does everything fit right????? I place a neck in the neck pocket and register the bridge through the string holes and hope it lines up.

Attached Files:

5. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

A few pictures of the wiring channels to complete the routing portion of the build. Glad that's over...routing makes me nervous.

Attached Files:

6. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Oops...pictures a little out of order, oh well.

Going back and looking at the post it appears the ferrule holes and round over pictures were inadvertently forgotten. Here they are. As a note on the ferrule holes they are very uneven as you can see. I used the jig with the centering pin as described in this site and in Ron Kirns book and the drill press bit and the pin lined up perfectly before and after drilling, but the holes still came out crooked. The only thing I could think of is that the board used for the jig was slightly warped when I looked at it closely.

Attached Files:

7. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Now the routing is over!

Only the roundover remains.

Attached Files:

8. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Chatter?

The next step for me is to sand the body. Before I post the pictures, let me say that when they announced the contest and that it would be over two months long I thought that to be an ample amount of time. I am finding it difficult to find the time to focus totally on the build (I’m sure this is true for you guys also). I’m going to have to hustle to get this done by May. Just thought I would throw that in there as the sanding seemed to take longer than any other step so far…

In the first pictures I think I found out what router chatter is. Thought that filling it with wood filler would do the trick, but after sanding it down some found it to be UGLY and decided to sand it completely out.

Attached Files:

9. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Sanding, sanding and more sanding

Began sanding with 100 grit, 150, 220 and then 320. Next I dampened the body to “whisker” it and lightly sanded with 320. I actually have made more progress the last couple of days but my wife has the camera and the pictures are still loaded in it (I hope).

Attached Files:

10. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Good call on not filling the chatter with wood filler.

You will find that wood filler shrinks over time, and will sink your finish in. Also, you will apply the filler, and when you sand it back smooth, the hairs of the chatter will grab the sand paper and work the filler out like a pry bar.

11. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Cost of equipment.

During this contest there has been some amazing things done with minimal tools, I even think I saw someone cutting a body out with a coping saw! I am much too lazy for that and certainly don’t have that much extra time. When first starting this hobby I wondered if it would be possible to obtain (enough) power tools to do the builds without breaking the bank, and searched the threads for ideas. Buying used (ebay etc.) seemed risky but buying new would require a couple thousand dollars minimum, which was not an option. Strangely enough, my wife turned me on to a reconditioned power tool store at an outlet mall. The following tools if bought new would have cost (from lowes, home depot) over $1500.00, but at the outlet store with a full year warranty was under $600.00. I don’t know if this is helpful but I highly recommend recon tools.

Attached Files:

12. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

More tools

Not shown with these pictures but also purchased recon are a 2 hp plunge router and a couple of sanders.

Attached Files:

13. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Afflicted

With a year warranty it would be hard to go wrong, looks like you got a nice setup for a great price...

14. jay1970

jay1970 Tele-Meister

Love the grain on that body. Great work.

15. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Thanks, I was able to stain the body and the grain really pops. The wife took the camera yesterday to Epcot to see Peter Noone aka Hermans Hermits (yes, she is a Noone-atic) so was unable to post those pictures. I should be able to post some more later today if I can wrestle the camera from her.

16. tgfmike

tgfmike Telefied Gold Supporter

Tell her to join the forum and post those pics! :D

17. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Thanks, here are the pictures that show what it looked like after sanding the chatter out. As I planned to stain and not paint the body the wood filler just wouldn't cut it.

Attached Files:

18. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

She probably would! But I was able to get the camera and here are some of the pictures from Flower Power.

Attached Files:

19. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

I spy a......Telecaster

Attached Files:

20. jlock1028

jlock1028 Tele-Meister

Back to business.

After tons of sanding it is time to stain. I used reranch dyes (dissolved in alcohol), dark walnut, tobacco and medium brown.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.