2010+ Classic Vibe Thinline and Custom club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Mark Davis, Jan 12, 2010.

1. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Looks like 11/17/09...

[​IMG]

I was looking at the specs on the first page of this thread, and the CV Thinline is listed as having a 9.5" radius on the neck. I have two Squier Standard necks which are 9.5, and this neck has more curve to the top than either of those. I would guess that mine is really 7.5".

Also, does anybody know what value the volume and tone pots are? I didn't think to look when I had the strings off. Thanks!

2. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

I noticed they were 250K when I was replacing the bridge pickup.

3. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the response! Can anybody comment on the neck radius?

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

The pots are 250k and unless the stock neck has been swapped out it would have a 9.5" radius. The shop making the CVs doesn't make a guitar with a 7.25" radius neck. If it's 7.25" it's not a CV neck.

5. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

image-3309281612.jpg
    My 2012 CV Tele Custom

6. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

image-3316747517.jpg

My first electric, a 86 MIJ Squier I bought at 13 and modified over a couple of years. I'm giving it a well deserved refinish (thinking butterscotch blonde from reranch) and just wondered if anyone had any thoughts about my setup ideas.

7. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I added the middle pickup a few years ago, I left the 3 way switch and wired the pots like a Gretsch so it's independent. The blade pu I the middle is extremely hot aka muddy but I used it like a active EQ, I dial some in to warm up the sound. When I refinish I want to replace the pickguard and mount the mid pu under it and mount the middle pot to the bottom of the cavity or use a trimpot and put a chrome plug in the control plate hole so I can remove it and adjust the pot with a screwdriver to the sweet spot to fatten the bridge pu and use a push/pull to turn it on. Does this sound completely useless/unnecessary? Has anyone done anything like this?

8. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

Replaced the pickups..... twice

I like the tone of the guitar stock, but like most of the Clissic Vibe series, felt the pickups were a little closer to lifeless than I wanted. Odd, because I can't say they were bad, just missing something. Same with the Classic Vibe Custom I bought.

I put in a set of Fender Noiseless pickups and it helped, but the guitar still sounded a bit masked. Next, I went with a set of Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials. They had sounded wonderful and sparkly in my Classic Vibe Custom. Unfortunately, they were just too bloody bright and lacking bottom in the Thinline.

I installed a Duncan Broadcaster (bridge) and STR-1 (neck) today. The guitar now has a wonderfully dark snarl. Plenty of twang, yet a full tone, and the neck does the jazz thing very well. It was hard to put it down. More than I had hoped for.

The guitar itself is a player. I put a Babicz bridge on it as soon as I bought it. Love those things. Replace the pots and switch, adding a .010 cap to replace the stock. Tone control is much more usable now.

9. figerade

figerade TDPRI Member

I had to use DeoxIT when I got my CVC, controls felt so stiff...I was like "Is this normal?" :p
    Finally sprayed a little Deoxit, and works like a charm
    Mind you this was a couple years back

10. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I used my CV Custom for a gig last night. It sounded great through my AC15! I changed the bridge PU to a GFS Fatbody. Even if you don't like any other GFS pickup the Fatbody Teles are great! I put a push/pull for both in series and I'm really happy with my $300 Tele!

11. alscort93

alscort93 Tele-Meister

Well I feel special now, I guess I get to be in 2 CV clubs!

Custom and my 50's

image-194974164.jpg

12. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

Does a Custom and a 60's CV Strat count for the 2 CV club ;-) I want a thinline too, I still have a soft spot from a thinline I played years ago. It was one of the most versatile Teles I ever played, you could use the tone without it getting muddy, it just warmed up so it would do anything from warm jazz to bright steel licks very well.

13. crowhaven2000

crowhaven2000 Tele-Meister

If anybody is out there, in this old thread, I have a question. I have a 2011 CVC sunburst with a mint pickguard.
    I also have a CV50's tele which I love. I like the 50's so much, I bought the CVC, especially becasue I like the double bound look. But, I hate the mint pickguard. TOo green IMO. So I bought a white pickguard.. Too WHite, just don't like it. SO then I bought a 3 ply B/W/B pickguard which looks nice, but I would love to get a bound pickguard for this guitar. I only see one place that makes a bound pickguard for a telecaster
    pickguardian.com
    [​IMG]

I would love to get one for this CVC but they are pricey, and aren't answering emails this week.
    Does anyone know of another place where I could find a black pickguard with a "bound" look?
    I haven't seen anyone on here with one, I don't imagine they are very popular. Just wonderin if anyone has another idea on how to get a nice bound look to match the binding ont eh guitar. My 3 ply black pickguard almost does it, but eh white layer is just a little thin.

14. crowhaven2000

Where did you get the pickguard? it doesn't look like your average 3 ply. It looks like it has more white layer to it. kind of what I am looking for. or is it just the pic?
    I put a B/W/B on my CVC but it doesn't look as thick as yours.
    Mine looks like this one, (not my pic) Nice but I want a little more white to match the binding of the guitar.
    [​IMG]

15. crowhaven2000

Well I got my pickguard changed. TOo bad this thread died..lol
    I got a 60 degree bevel on 5 play material, and got a pretty decent "binding" look around the pickguard. Unique. I like it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

That IS sweet!

17. crowhaven2000

Thank you! it might be the only one like it on a tele.

18. workingman

workingman TDPRI Member

I've been waiting for a good deal since it was released. Finally here it is. I'm the third owner, but is mint, barely played.

I'm ready to upgrade it with: 4 way switch, Fender 62 Custom Tele neck and bridge pickups, and Joe Barden Bridge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I want to thank this forum and its members for all the good info that is found here.

19. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I really love my CVC, it might be blasphemy but I like it better than most of the US Teles I've owned over the years. The only thing I did to mine is put a Fatbody bridge pickup in mine, which is very reminiscent of a CS TX Special Tele bridge and when I bought mine the b PU was dead so they swapped a PU and bridge from a CV 50's w/ brass saddles.
    I finally rejuvenating my ash Tele that's been my #1 Tele since I was 13 in BS blonde.

image-1720829463.jpg

I just need a couple of more coats of clear but I'm happy with how it's coming.

20. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Over the weekend I finally got around to putting a new bone nut on my CV Thinline.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I needed a little wider string spacing for my fat fingers. Now my best sounding guitar is getting played a lot more! I kept the D'add 9's on it because they sound very balanced and give me plenty of room, even when playing up close to the nut. I still like my Esquire, but the Thinline through my old Peavey Bandit just sounds great!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.