2009 MIM RoadWorn Tele Blonde vs MIJ TL-52-60 Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by wyman101, Apr 5, 2020.

Which guitar

1. MIM Roadworn

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  2. Mij Tl-52-60

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. wyman101

wyman101 TDPRI Member

Hey y'all. This is my first post ever on TPDRI, long time lurker. I am looking for some opinions from you experts. I'm 18 year old guitar player that's had the luck of borrowing an incredible telecaster from my uncle who is a gigging studio musician, and I recently had to give it back to him. This telecaster had an butterscotch body, custom shop neck designed for Danny Gatton before he hung himself, and Ron Ellis pickups. It was the best guitar I have ever played. I am in need of a telecaster and the MIM Roadworn and Mij Tl52-60 are the ones that seem to be the best in my budget off Reverb. Due to coronavirus, Im not gigging so I have some time to internet hunt for one, but I would be nice to not just play my acoustic during this quarantine. Thanks! I have listed pictures down below. ygnpq6mxnu5af28t54ik.jpg od6eyh97nb6ohyf2ab4m.jpg

2. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I picked the Road Worn, just because the finish on the MIJ is a little too orange for me. But they're both good guitars.

3. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Having owned multiple mij and mim guitars I generally prefer mij quality over Mexico in this case though I say go for the road worn.
    That’s only because of the color as I like that yellow blonde.
    If color doesn’t matter to the op I’d go for the Japanese model and if you have time to wait and search you can probably find a decen mij with USA pickups

To the op- have you thought about a used Baja they are around the same price as road worns

stnmtthw and wyman101 like this.
  4. wyman101

wyman101 TDPRI Member

Thank you for your response. Is the Baja better than the Fender Road Worn? My budget is a bit less than $1000. For the price range what would the best telecaster you recommend be?

5. Fretting out

I like the Baja a lot but have never played a roadworn, I did a lot of research and looked at specs and a lot of old threads on here comparing the Baja to the road worn
    I’d look within the models you are considering and whatever has the specs you want the most should be the one

6. wyman101

wyman101 TDPRI Member

How does the baja compare to your MIJ teles? The main thing that attracts me to the roadworn is purely how it looks and sounds.

7. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic

Play several then decide for yourself.

teletail likes this.
  8. Alcohen

Alcohen Tele-Meister

In ordinary times, I'd say you had to play them. I'm not a fan of relic-ed guitars, but I picked up a Roadworn and absolutely loved the feel of the neck. But, man, you're 18, they're not crazy expensive, you have lots of time to make a change if one doesn't work out. Enjoy.

wyman101 and Fretting out like this.
  9. Fretting out

I think the Baja and Mexican made usually have better electronics and I’ve upgraded the electronics in my mij but mim are just fine
    Actually these days the quality is just about equal between the two as far as fit and finish.
    I’m just biased and lean towards japan because I’m just old enough to remember when they were better but now they are both really good
    Just comes down to the specs

wyman101 likes this.
  10. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

MIJ - you're young and can put your own wear and tear on it

wyman101 likes this.
  11. wyman101

wyman101 TDPRI Member

I played a MIJ 90s strat for a bit loved it's neck. I had to give that one back to my uncle too, a few years back. Are there any specific models of MIJ telecaster you'd recommend?

12. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hiya and welcome.

I don't really know, I've never played a Roadworn. Living in Japan, not even sure if I've seen one.

But, I'm kinda of the opinion that Telecasters are, by and large, Telecasters. I bet they are both just fine. So, I'd say, go for the one that speaks to you, as that's the one you will want to play. And, once you've made the choice, play it and don't look back.

For what it's worth, I think the Roadworn shown here looks cool.

Right, I have to go now, I sense pitchforks, tar and feathers coming for me, to extract rough justice for that fourth sentence. :twisted:

Pax/
    Dean

wyman101 likes this.
  13. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

YOU MONSTER!

/s

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  14. Guitar MD

Guitar MD Tele-Meister

Have you ever contemplated building your own Tele?

Good way to pass the time staying at home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I like Mexican teles more than Japanese ones. Something about the necks, cant put my finger on it. Probably just more what I'm used to.

Its hard to say, either one will serve you fine.

The baja has more diverse electronics, but it's a fatter neck on 50s baja, typically rosewood board on the 60s one (dont know how readily available they are).

Happy hunting.

wyman101 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.