2008 Texas Tele

vgallagher

Tele-Meister
Hey, decided to sell my Texas Tele but can’t seem to find others for sale. Anybody have an idea of value? I’m going to sell it with the original pickups, neck and pickguard. It currently has a roasted maple neck with Evo frets, and a set of Lindy Fralins. Selling as a package. Any guidance would be appreciated. Probably post in Craigslist and the Local Marketplace thing on Facebook.

Attachments

• DDBE5CEC-0315-42A4-AE9D-9BE9EDD47279.jpeg
    DDBE5CEC-0315-42A4-AE9D-9BE9EDD47279.jpeg
    280.7 KB · Views: 134

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Hey, decided to sell my Texas Tele but can’t seem to find others for sale. Anybody have an idea of value? I’m going to sell it with the original pickups, neck and pickguard. It currently has a roasted maple neck with Evo frets, and a set of Lindy Fralins. Selling as a package. Any guidance would be appreciated. Probably post in Craigslist and the Local Marketplace thing on Facebook.
I'm not going to be a ton of help here, but Highway Ones seem to be asking $1000 to $1100. The Texas went at a premium so for the buyer that knows the guitar you can probably ask more.
I'm not really sure whether you are better to sell all the parts with it. Maybe you'd get more out of it if you put the original parts back as they were, then sold your roasted neck and pickups separately. For someone that wants a guitar to play the extra parts don't really add value other than knowing you have the originals. Maybe that's worth something.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Is it correct that the guitar started out as a Highway 1 Texas Telecaster? Does the serial number verify this when entered at

Currently, you're trying to sell a partscaster. It's not a Highway 1 Texas Telecaster, no matter how it started out.

You're going to realize the most money by reassembling the guitar with its orginal neck and pickups so that people looking for a Highway 1 Texas Telecaster will be interested. Otherwise, you're trying to find someone who wants the same customization that you wanted. That creates a very slow 'selll' as there aren't many folks who are looking for what you've built.

You'll also realize the most money for the neck and Fralins by selling them separately. Otherwise, you're trying to find someone who wants the same parts package you put together.

Your single picture covers up the lower half of the body, so it's unclear to me if it's an alder or ash body. A Texas Telecaster should be ash.

I can't find any examples by searching the Reverb Price Guide. The 2021 Vintage Guitar price guide combines the Highway 1 and the Texas version in one line item with pricing at $600-750. 2022 pricing is a mystery to me: perhaps $750 to 850 in good to excellent condition. Asking prices are stupid high, right now, but IMO sale prices are inching back down.

TO ME, the Texas version isn't as desirable as the regular Highway 1, due to the changes and unique combination of features on the Texas. The ash body is desirable, but the rest of it is a bit specialized, like the 12" radius neck, jumbo frets, and Hot Vintage pickups. IMO those things limit the pool of buyers, so I'd price it like a regular Highway 1 in equivalent condition. Look at sold pricing on eBay or do some guesswork at Reverb pricing.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Yup.

Some models, it wouldn't make a huge difference if the item was sold as a Partscaster, plus the original takeoff parts sold with it or sold off individually. But the ash bodied, 21 fret genuine "Texas" Highway One is pretty sought after. If returned to original, I think it could command a premium.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Thanks all, I think that I'll put it back to stock and sell off the parts separately. It is definitely a Texas Tele.

Cool. If you're willing to ship, or even if you aren't, be sure to post it in the Classifieds, here. Your TDPRI buddies might like a shot at it.

brmusician

TDPRI Member
I see vintage tuners and vintage brass saddles. Is it original? If the guitar was originally sold with these parts, it makes it more desirable than a regular HW1 in my opinion. These are features we find on American Performer's, which are (IMHO) improved versions of HW1 and Special teles.

vgallagher

Tele-Meister
I see vintage tuners and vintage brass saddles. Is it original? If the guitar was originally sold with these parts, it makes it more desirable than a regular HW1 in my opinion. These are features we find on American Performer's, which are (IMHO) improved versions of HW1 and Special teles.
The Texas Tele differs from the standard highway one. Vintage tuners, maybe those are Glendale saddles I have the originals. 12” radius fingerboard (which plays great btw).. I think it had different pickups maybe some other stuff.

Nice guitar, my tinnitus is pretty bad so I’m going be selling all or most of my electric guitar gear. Don’t see any reason to hold onto it since I haven’t touched it in a long time and probably won’t. I’ll ost it all in the classifieds when the time comes.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Fender service manual for the Texas version. Pickups were Hwy 1 Texas, later used in the American Special up to 2013.

My information says, the Texas Tele got "Hot Vintage" pickups. Not the Texas' pickups soon to be featured on the American Special that more or less superseded the alder body, ordinary Highway One.

Every time someone pulled the pickguard on a Hwy One Texas Tele they didn't find Texas Specials. The information from FMIC is better than it used to be but they still make mistakes.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
My information says, the Texas Tele got "Hot Vintage" pickups. Not the Texas' pickups soon to be featured on the American Special that more or less superseded the alder body, ordinary Highway One.

Every time someone pulled the pickguard on a Hwy One Texas Tele they didn't find Texas Specials. The information from FMIC is better than it used to be but they still make mistakes.

They made it even more confusing with their "Texas Tele" pickups. That was the named spec for my '98 James Burton Standard Telecaster, and those Texas Tele pickups were just a different name for the later Texas Special pickups.

tele12

Poster Extraordinaire

The Highway One Texas Telecaster pickups are currently sold as "Deluxe Drive" pickups.

The now defunct Fender Discussion Page had some posts from the original designer. I wish I could remember his name, Bill?....something perhaps.