1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

2008/2009 Fender MIM Telecaster with 7 pc Body & Maple caps?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Rhomco, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Rhomco

Rhomco Friend of Leo's

I am doing a refin on a customers Fender 2008/2009 MIM Midnight Wine Tele. After stripping the body to bare wood I discovered it is a seven piece body with maple caps glued to the top and bottom. Is this considered "normal"? I may be the only person that does not know Fender does that but I am shocked that they would offer a seven piece body on a production guitar.
    Rob

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  2. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

7??

Man, at some point I think that should be called plywood.

Ringingears and That Cal Webway like this.
  3. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My old 90's Strat was about 7 pieces

4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Yep. They made tons of them. You can tell, because the back and top look like one piece of Maple, which is a really thick Maple veneer. Is it like 1/8 or 3/16 thick caps? Let me tell you a rarely known secret: I've played more than one, that outperformed Alder and Ash. Very un-intutive, and contradictory to conventional, ostensible belief.

Chicken Curry likes this.
  5. Musekatcher

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Musekatcher

Oh, and I've got an Affinity thats made of 7 pieces. Its so well matched, you can only tell by the end grain, and even then it looks like 3 pieces till you pull out a magnifying glass.

7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Wow 7 pieces, hardly seems worth the trouble. I figured 3 to 5 would be common. So that's less than 2" wide per piece! I mean really? That's what happens when the bean counters figure out they can save 37 cents per body. Most of those in the pics above seem to be 5 piece...?
    Up here in the PNW Alder is fire wood mostly. Although most kitchen cabinets are made of it now and it's stained to look like various other woods from pecan to maple. Alder grows super fast and is easily replenished.

My 98 MIM antique white Strat appears to have a maple cap from where the finish is worn off at the arm rest area, so the maple must be super thick...?
    I dont know about the rest. It's the best sounding Strat I have actually, including an American.

8. Rhomco

Rhomco Friend of Leo's

The caps on this one are appx. 1/32 thick and the heat from a heat gun will cause them to dis-bond and blister. Don't ask how I know ):

Jakedog, Lake Placid Blue and adjason like this.
  9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Not something to look down on them for – not at all.

Would we rather they killed living things and then didn't use as much of the carcasses as possible?

More joins = a more stable blank.

They went through the trouble of dressing up all the joins for us, by veneering over them.

More labor time (i.e expense) went into making that body than most.

No, it's not "normal"...but it's not unheard of, and nothing about it is "bad."

Lake Placid Blue and itskohler like this.
  10. Ringingears

Ringingears TDPRI Member

It’s almost like sandwiching a kitchen cutting board in the middle

11. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

Go on....

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  12. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

I have been there.......Decided to strip my MIM jazz bass. Went at it with the heat gun slowly but still had that top layer bubble up in a spot. I was also surprised to see my bass made out of 7 or so pieces sandwiched between the two caps. I still have the bass and love it. I used some wood putty in the spot that tore out on the back and finished in tru oil. It was early on in my shade tree luthier adventures. Learned a lot though.

13. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

yep I refinished mine from maybe 2000 and it was the same...does kind of seems odd that its not 3 pieces -I think they stopped doing the caps the last few years or so...made it hard to do a decent refinish

14. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

I was just talking about this with some guys another forum today. My (now long gone) ‘07 MIM Standard was at least seven pieces. I found out when I stripped the polyester finish off. I was a little upset that I was getting nicer bodies on SX guitars from Rondo and swore off MIM until the Player series came out. Much better guitars.

15. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

There's not very much reason to strip polyester before refinishing. It's an excellent sealer – smooth and durable – over which you can spray any other kind of finish, with the appropriate prep. Not to mention that it's bear to strip. Stripping it before refinishing is just making unnecessary work for yourself. Going to a translucent finish is the only good reason I can think of to do it. And even when I do do it, I opt for mechanical and chemical stripping, not heat...for exactly this reason. You don't want to be using high heat to strip finish off of joints that are only held together by wood glue.

16. Southpaw Tele

I did it about 10 years ago and went very slowly. Turned out really nice. I posted a thread about the job on here.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  17. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

Is Mexico the new China or the other way around? Regardless...I hate polyester/urethane but I suppose I have to tolerate it. I own a '92 Epiphone Sorrento and a '93 "Squier Series" MIM strat. Worse finish I can think of for any stringed instrument.

Southpaw Tele likes this.
  18. Southpaw Tele

19. Slippery Jack

Slippery Jack Tele-Meister

I refinished my 1999 US Standard last year that had a cap front and back.

20. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yep,most sunburst American standards well into the 90s were made like that too,multipiece poplar body and alder cap.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.