2007 Highway One or American Deluxe Stratocaster?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by medownsouth, Jun 2, 2020.

1. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Some of you probably saw my other thread recently that led to my buying a Reverend Billy Corgan model (pretty much my dream axe). Well, sadly, that bad boy went back yesterday because of a undisclosed flaw in the listing. So, I'm still in the market for something nice. I'm looking hard at one of 2 guitars atm. 1) a 2007 Highway One Strat, player grade, plek'd $700 bucks or a 2010 American Deluxe Stratocaster, spotless, $875.

I live in a part of the US where very few high end guitars are available locally, and the ones that are are stupid overpriced. I've done the whole youtube video thing, both seem nice and both have features that I like/don't like. Anybody here have any experience w/ these models? Which is the best value?

2. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

The Deluxe has noiseless pickups, right? I'd need to swap those out.

I'd probably go highway one unless the Deluxe had the color and neck you wanted. Deluxes are nice guitars, but I dont think I'd ever intentionally use noiseless pickups.

My partscaster has a 99 american deluxe body. Beautiful transparent finish.

3. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like the SCN pickups in my Deluxe (mine is a 2005). Took some height and amp fiddling to get them where I like them, but I think many people who write them off do so too easily. In any case, if the pickups are your only concern those are easy enough to replace with something you prefer fairly cheaply, unless you have some very specific pickup set in mind.

I also like the S1 switch on the Deluxe, which is another feature that gets (in my opinion) and inordinate amount of hate. It basically switches things from parallel to series, giving you humbucker-like tones (maybe you wouldn't confuse it with an "actual" humbucker, but it does throw things more in that direction). Again, mine is a 2005; not sure if this changed by 2010.

Also, Highway One's have a six-screw trem, right? I like my Deluxe's two-point trem. No tuning issues whatsoever (though six-screws can be set up to where they don't give you trouble; interestingly, the popular way of doing so effectively makes it a two-point trem).

So if I was shopping today, all things being equal (or in the case of price here, nearly equal) I'd go with the Deluxe.

4. medownsouth

Thanks for chiming in; guy has agreed to 550 on the Highway One. Gonna sleep on it, but pretty sure I'm going to go that route. I was wrong about the provenance it is a 2002

5. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Meister

that's a good price for a highway one.

6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

It depends on what noiseless pickups are in that year of Deluxe. I had a Deluxe with the N3 pickups and they had too much loss of treble for me. I had a newer Roadhouse with the Vintage Noiseless and they were better. But, the best noiseless I've ever tried are the Dimarzio Area 58s. Of the Fender ones, the SCN (designed by Bill Lawrence) and Hot Noiseless seem to be the overall favorites.

JayFreddy likes this.
  7. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Decent price on the HWY these days.
    Pickups on that year are vintage output and it came with a zinc bridge block.

8. medownsouth

Yeah, that's probably gonna get replaced w/ brass at some point. The middle pickup is not RWRP either, that's probably going to get replaced. Lastly, its not nitro. I can live w/ all of it and tweak as desired.

9. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That's better. Good fair deal. The early HO's were better imo.

JayFreddy likes this.
  10. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I'd buy an early Highway One today if I could find one for $550.

JayFreddy likes this.
  11. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Horses for courses.

We're talking Strats...

I don't like the early Hwy1 pickups. I would swap them out.

I do like the Hwy1 pickups in the 2006 and newer versions. Not my favorite pickups in the world, but I think they sound decent. Comparable to Tex Mex pickups.

The thing with the later Hwy1s is they had fatter frets. Many people dislike them for that reason.

I guess I prefer the thinner frets too, but I don't mind the jumbos either.

As i said earlier, I'm talking Strats... Teles are a different aesthetic.

12. medownsouth

Pulled the trigger on the Highway One, guitar and HSC 600. It was setup for 9's so I dropped it @ the shop to get setup for 10s. Will share pics when I get it back.

Thanks again for chiming in

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.