1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

2006 PROP FSR DELUXE VINTAGE PLAYER 52 TELE

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by beakerfunk, Sep 6, 2019.

1. beakerfunk

beakerfunk NEW MEMBER!

Hello,
    First post, was hoping to find some info from some of you fine people.
    I had originally been searching for a 83 telecaster but I came across this guitar at a local shop and at what I think was a steal so I couldn't pass it up. There are a couple questions I was hoping could be answered from anyone who has owned or has knowledge of this one. I've listed the details and pics below.

Looking up based on the serial number fender says this is a 2006 PROP FSR DLX VINTAGE PLAYER 52 TELE
    I've had a very hard time finding this guitar or images that are exact or similar so I'm guessing previous owners made some mods.

1. The only time I've seen something similar to this its had a "60th anniversary" badge on the back by the tuners this one does not.
    2. From my understanding of what I've read and seen this model should have a S-1 switch with a push-push button on the volume, this one does not have that. It has a 4 way switch. Why would someone change that?
    3. Neck pick up is probably not original as I've only seen it come with a lipstick pick up but Im not sure.
    4. What does "PROP" stand for

I apologize for my ignorance on these issues, I've never owned a Telecaster so I'm just entering this confusing wonderful twangy world. Hoping I found a gem here as I love the way the thick neck on this thing feels.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Woollymonster and whoanelly15 like this.
  2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Nice guitar. As you suspect this one has been modded as it should have had SCN noiseless pickups, a regular direction control plate with a 3-way switch and the S-1 switching.

I don't remember what the PROP stood for on these; I only recall them being called the "Deluxe Vintage Player '52 Tele". As far as it not having the 60th Anniversary of Fender medallion - I noticed this one has a DZ5 (i.e. 2005) serial number so it was likely made toward the end of 2005 so it wouldn't have the medallion; they only put the medallion on the ones actually build during the calendar year of 2006.

As an aside I had a 2004-model American Deluxe V-neck Stratocaster, a model that wasn't introduced until the January 2004 NAMM show and was not available for sale until after the show. My Strat had a DZ3xxxxxx (i.e. 2003) serial number and also did not have the "50th Anniversary of the Stratocaser" logo engraved on the neck plate as 2004 models were supposed to have - because it was built in early December 2003 so it was in Fender's warehouse to fulfill orders placed in January 2004.

boris bubbanov and beakerfunk like this.
  3. beakerfunk

beakerfunk NEW MEMBER!

You are the man, thanks for the additional info. Might try to find an original S-1 switch and put it back in.

4. Amadeus

Amadeus TDPRI Member

We Need To Talk!

I have the Original unmodified version.

Let me say that I've been a Telecaster Fanatic for Many Years, played an original 52 telecaster [uncomfortable] and a Huge amount of Money and time went in finding the right sound, twangy sound.

Here is what I've found:

Platform base: American Deluxe [discontinued]

Special Circuit on the Neck pick-up to image or recreate the "Doghouse" sound of the '52 Telecaster [pre Bass] Tone all the way down recreates the Doghouse, I was amazed.

S1 Switch is blended with something called Grease bucket circuit.

I have diagrams I can email you sir.

5. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Contact Fender Customer Service with the serial number.

6. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

Two things - 1. I'm glad that the experts here were able to get you some answers...this site is a tremendous resource! 2. THAT is a great looking guitar~ congrats!

Oh - and welcome to TDPRI (so, really, three things)

7. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Lucky you - you won't have to replace the SCN pups like I had to! Very fine looking score. I would play it for a while before starting to re-mod it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.