1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

2006 Epiphone Riviera PupGrade to P90s?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by mistermullens, Apr 8, 2015.

1. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

I've always liked P90s despite having gotten away from them. I was recently reminded how awesome they are when I installed a Tonerider Rebel 90 in my Squier 51. Now, I realize the Rebel 90 isn't quite the same as a standard P90, but it sounds great and I'd say it's pretty close!

This got me thinking, what if I installed P90s in my Epi Riviera? I know it's possible, but what is the best way to go about it? Would soapboar P90s be a direct drop in to the mini-humbuckers? Should I go dogear P90?

Your thoughts and advice are appreciated.

While not my Riviera, mine is just like this one. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. johnb

johnb Tele-Meister

Don't use dogears. They would need screw holes to be drilled outside the pickup cavity route. Use soap bars and they will drop right in.
    However, the Rivieras with mini-hums are getting hard to find and selling for pretty good money now. So I would think about it before modding.
    I'm going the opposite direction by putting mini-hums in an Epi ES339 P90 Pro. Calling it a "335 Lite". An earlier version of the Gibson ES390 had mini humbuckers.

3. johnb

johnb Tele-Meister

The Epi ES339 P90 Pro arrived today. I've finished part of the setup and this is one fine guitar.
    As I was making string height adjustments the thought occured to me that why should we mod our guitars. What don't we think about swapping since we probably aren't too far apart here in Atlanta.
    Let me know what you think.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.