2005 Gibson Les Paul Refinish?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by adamsapple, Feb 17, 2011.

1. adamsapple

adamsapple TDPRI Member

Folks, I've recently purchased a used '05 Les Paul Standared with a nice flame maple top, however the top color is called trans black. Although nice, because its black it's really hard to see the nice flame maple happening unless you put it under a spotlight. I'm thinking about refinishing just the top to a nice tobacco burst (which is the color I really want). Questions; how much will a nice refin de-value the guitar? Will I have to sand the crap out of the maple top to get rid of the black stain? I got the guitar fairly cheap cause the seller said the color wasnt popular. Is this worth doing? To buy even a plain maple top sunburst would cost me at least $400 more than what i paid for this guitar. Any insight appreciated. :(

Attached Files:

2. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

I think it looks fine.

Thing with refinishing guitars is it costs a lot and can halve the overall value of the guitar. Though it tends to be already collectible guitars that devalue the most when refinished. I always think it's best to either deal with the color or buy another guitar. If you got it for a steal you might even be able to resell it at a profit. Once you refinish it you are pretty much stuck with it.

3. jshinn

jshinn TDPRI Member

I agree... I refinish lp's alot. The black stain will never come out all the way. the black will stay in the "flame". Many finishers will stain the maple black (or some other contrasting color) then sand back the stain then stain/spray the final color...ie. stain black, sand then stain red. This makes the flame "pop". In your case trying to go with a tabacco busrt will not look right... IMO. If you wanted to do another color, then that wouldn"t look bad.

Believe me I have done this with one guitar in mind...even told the guy UPFRONT what it would look like... even showed him a picture. He insisted. Put one coat of clear over the top. Called him in to look at it before procedding. Let's just say he wasn't happy and the guitar was re-refinshed back to the original color.

Also to refin the top ...professionally... will cost ya.

4. adamsapple

adamsapple TDPRI Member

thx for replying so quick. Ok so what color would work with the black stain? It's just a shame to have that nice flame maple top with the black stain so you cant even barely see it. The pic is shows the flame nice because its in the SUN!! In a club its looks just like an ebony LP. I know this is trivial on my part but I just cant help myself lookin at it and saying man that look so nice in a standard burst color.

5. jshinn

jshinn TDPRI Member

I would recomend one color on top...red, blue, green. I would stay away from yellow. Basically you cant go with lighter/natural colors. You could do a burst from one color to another as well. If the top is really dark you could even strip, sand back the existing stain then evaluate it from there. Could even restain light black.

Go to search on this site, type "eshuffle" and look at "Tuff dog" thread. You will see some Two tone stain tops. The red one was stained black then red ten bursted. That would be a good look.

6. adamsapple

adamsapple TDPRI Member

hmmmmmm, like maybe a wine red with that nice flame underneath?? Would the wine red be a red stain applied or is the red color a tinted red clear coat?

7. adamsapple

adamsapple TDPRI Member

It looks like they actually put a black stain on the flame on this guitar to bring out the flame right?

Attached Files:

8. jshinn

jshinn TDPRI Member

I don"t know about that guitar. The red tele on the user "eshuffle" thread is done that way.
    Hereis one I just did. I used about 4 colors on this. But black was the first to go down then sanded then the rest of the colors applied.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

Sell it.
    Finding a sunburst LP shouldn't be difficult.

10. adamsapple

adamsapple TDPRI Member

Yeah but where's the fun in that :lol:. Just kidding. Alright, I paid $1250 for the guitar. I've done my own refins before. To get a sunburst LP with that kinda flame will cost at least 2K Im thinking. What say you?

11. chillman

chillman Tele-Afflicted

If you want to make it a project, and you consider that a small investment for a Les Paul (I would) and you're going to do the refin yourself, I say hell, go for it!

I never liked trans black on a LP either.

12. adamsapple

adamsapple TDPRI Member

JSHINN, what were the colors you used for this brown burst? Did you use dyes or tinted laquer for the colors? I was thinking of doing my Les Paul in a Trans Brown like ur guitar.

Attached Files:

13. Sarrkazztic

Sarrkazztic Tele-Meister

Nooooo....that trans black Les Paul is beautiful.....don't ruin it please.

14. adamsapple

adamsapple TDPRI Member

I know it looks fine but I'm a vintage look kinda guy. I'm really on the fence on whether to attempt a refin. I've searched ebay for a nice flame sunburst and there all over $2K. :eek:

15. jshinn

jshinn TDPRI Member

I used dyes. Black, followed by yellow, brown, orange... sprayed light black for the burst. I know it sounds weird but it work for an old dark look.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.