1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

2005 '52 AVRI - Should I?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Phrygian77, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Roughly 15-16 years ago, after retirement (the second time), my step dad decided he wanted to get back into playing guitar again. He still owned an acoustic, but he wanted an electric. Not only that, but he wanted what one might consider the best pro/semi-pro setup available. I guess at the time he had visions of putting a new band together with his brother, which ultimately never happened. So, after doing his own research, he went to the local GC and bought himself a brand new 2005 AVRI and a Hot Rod Deluxe. I didn't have any input on this, by the way. He wouldn't have listened to me anyway.

The guitar has only been lightly played over the years, never gigged, and rarely ever left my folks house. It has almost zero fret wear. It does need some work though because it's apparently been monkeyed with, at least twice, by a couple of local techs (one who I don't like or trust at all). I remembered the guitar being setup very well to begin with. Now, the saddles are way too low, with the height adjustment screws sticking up out of them. It obviously wasn't like that originally. The action is about right, however, leading me to believe someone shimmed the neck. Someone also rewired it for modern switching. I haven't lifted the control plate, so I have no idea what may or may not have been replaced. Other than needing some tweaks to the pickup height, it works and plays just fine.

When I was over at my folks place yesterday, I asked about the guitar, and asked if he was still playing it. This was only the second time I've seen my folks since, you know, the current situation happened. Well, he said he wasn't playing anymore, and he started talking about selling it. He asked me if I knew anyone interested in it. I wasn't going to say it at the time, but I knew that I wanted it, or at least I think I do.

The neck is comfortable enough for me. I don't mind the smaller radius (I'm used to a 9.5 or 10). The heavy pumpkincaster tint ... I never like it, but I can deal with it. I've always liked those OV pickups.

The bottom line is, I don't have a real Fender anymore. My Esquire and Teles are partscasters. The '52 AVRI for years was "The Telecaster," in my opinion, and I know many members probably agree. I want it, or do I? How much should I offer him for it? I certainly want to give him a proper value.

Oh, and he has the Certificate of Authenticity and the original case.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Fendereedo likes this.
  2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

If you want it, then go for it, only you can make the final decision though. Best of luck.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  3. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

They're nice guitars for sure. If I was in your situation I'd probably buy it, as much for the guitar as to make his sale easier.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  4. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The answer is yes. I love mine. I have a 2008. Mine has a few cosmetic dings, and I paid $1300 at GC last year. However, on reverb they are going for $1700+.

**disclaimer : I have a '52 hot rod, not a regular AVRI

Phrygian77 likes this.
  5. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

Low-ball price would be $900-950, which is probably what he paid at the time. Just ask him what he paid and either pay that or a little less, maybe a little more if he got a deal; they've appreciated slightly in value, but not compared to the 2012-2017 version.
    Family should get a decent or even preferential price, but a steal only if it's the seller's idea.

Its value would totally max out at $1350, I guess, but that's no kind of family price.

$1700 plus? Prices are a little inflated right now, but I suspect it won't last.

Phrygian77 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.