2003 vs 1988 Tele Am Std

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Neener, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 TDPRI Member

Here it is, my beloved '88. My dad had a '55 Chevy Bel Air in the same color scheme...

20190506_104200.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Matthias, El Tele Lobo and Neener like this.
  2. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

Nice! Want to sell it to me?

Just kidding ;)

The color is what gets me as well, that with the rosewood is such a unique look.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Nice tele! My dad had a '57 Chevy Bel Air convertible that color (Colonial Cream Yellow with a white top) that he bought new and quickly customized. After my sister was born, he'd take it out and drag race it to earn money for baby formula. Sadly, my mom pressured him to sell it a few years later and, even more sadly, he did.

Telecaster88 and Neener like this.
  4. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

Never thought of it but I think that’s why I’m attracted to certain teles. Some of them have great “car” colors, and are just as pretty as old curvy bel airs!

El Tele Lobo and Telecaster88 like this.
  5. Telecaster88

Dangerously off topic, I suppose, but one day when I was in my early twenties my dad took me out for a ride in the '55. We pulled onto a long, straight, deserted country road, and he said, "I'm gonna show you something, but you can never tell your mom..." and he put the pedal down and you could feel the engine practically lift the car off the road. It felt like flying.

I spent the last year with Strat Fever. At its height, every car on the road started to look like a Stratocaster.

Fretting out, El Tele Lobo and Neener like this.
  6. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Most likely the 88 will have a multi piece poplar body (heavy) sandwiched between to layers of laminate .
    The 2003 will have a 3 piece body made of alder and it might be lighter.
    All the above in case you care,I don't,about wood and how it affects the sound.
    I would buy any of these if they are priced bellow 750 EUR in a heartbeat cause this is the best colour ever.

Telecaster88 and Neener like this.
  7. Telecaster88

I researched this a bit when I was on the hunt for my Forever Strat... I believe the poplar was used early to mid nineties, as explained by George Blanda in the Stratocaster Chronicles book:

George Blanda: “All the Strat bodies were alder up until about 1990. When it got so hard to get alder, we were faced with either using poplar or not making guitars. When the restrictions eased, we were able to go back to alder in ’93 or ’94."

Poplar actually gets pretty good reviews as a tonewood, but I went for a late 90’s Strat just in case.

AfroBill and Neener like this.
  8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes, this is "Vintage White". Nick is right about body construction.

The 2003 has rolled fretboard edges, a Delta Tone style tone control, I think by then we're looking at the Dual Action truss rod. There's a switch over to tuning machines with staggered posts. Other changes, also; total around 6.

See, from around 2000 until the end of 2007, the American Standard ceased. They offered the American Series or "American". Then FMIC "reintroduced" the American Standard for 2008 (which is even less like your 1988). Also note the roll out of the "American" was uneven and some 2000 and 2001 guitars are the old style and some the new.

Nick Fanis and GGardner like this.
  9. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

Thank you for the great info. I’m just going to have to be patient and wait for a nice ‘88 to come around

Telecaster88 likes this.
  10. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not sure how similar the '03 is to the '05, but I have an '88 in that same color, and an '05 American Series in Burst. Both great guitars, but I lean towards the '88 because it has a slightly narrower neck that feels more comfortable to me. The '05 has a wider neck with a flatter radius that is easier for bends and lead work in general. I replaced the pickups in both with Don Mares so I can't comment on the difference in those.

Edit: Oh, to answer your actual question, I'd grab the '03 and flip it down the road if you see an '88 as one of the other posters advised. Depending on what you play now, you may really prefer the '03. Also, if you love that color scheme, I haven't seen it pop up a lot.

[​IMG]

Telecaster88 likes this.
  11. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

Wow yep that's the one. I'm going to wait for an '88. I like the narrower neck profile myself. If you ever need to get rid of yours let me know I'm your guy!!!!

Coop47 likes this.
  12. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

I have an 88 strat and the neck is really thin. Too much for me.

But, damn, does it have a great satin finish and beautiful rosewood board.

Neener likes this.
  13. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

Not to revive a somewhat "dead" topic, but would you say a 2007 is an american standard? I found an '07 that's pretty nice, not sure the specs though.

ot

14. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Great color. Can't say anything about the '88, but I've got an '06 American Series and it's a great guitar in every way. Great pickups, great feeling neck, built like a tank. I'd assume the '03 is pretty much the same.

jwp2 likes this.
  15. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

IIRC, The Telecaster Book by A.R. Duchossoir (published in 1991), states that AM. Std Teles (referencing late 80's to '90 instruments) had alder bodies.
    The 4 I owned back in the day were alder. High quality guitars at least up til the early/mid 90's... Around that time, the tuners got cheaper and at some point the bobbins on the bridge pickup switched from fibre to plastic.
    As a general rule, FMIC has had a pattern (at least since their 're-formation' in the early 80's) that the first runs of a model will be great and then they start cutting corners to save $. I've seen it with the first MIJ Squier Strats, the Vintage RI's, the aforementioned AM Std Series and the MIM Strats/Teles... Can't vouch for the late 90's and onward as I switched over to Leo-era G&L's and Music Man instruments. Seems things took a turn for the better in the 00's at least from general consensus. I do recall seeing the ad slicks for the new American Series circa 2001 or so... couldn't get my head around stamped strat bridge saddles on a tele.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Neener likes this.
  16. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

There’s an ‘07 I found for sale so imagine somewhat similar to your ‘06. Any idea of comparisons to a ‘93 American standard?

17. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Nope. I've never picked up a '90s Tele I don't think.

I do have a '96 American Strat and it's a work of art too - just as nice as my '06 Tele, just in a Strat-like way. I'm getting the feeling that Fender's made great American guitars for a few decades now.

Telecaster88, Fretting out and Neener like this.
  18. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Meister

Personally I think if you have you heart set on the 88 I’d hold out.
    it would be a shame for you to compromise and be thinking or wishing you had an 88 every time you played an 03 or whatever year the compromise is.
    I say life’s to short to compromise go with what you want the most so you don’t end up with a disappointment and a knot in your stomach every time you look at or play it
    Happened with an amp I bought once instantly regretted it not because it was expensive but because I wasn’t patient enough, now I never play it after getting the “right” one

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Neener likes this.
  19. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

Yeah I’ve been through that a couple times. It also happens when I over pay for something lol I like playing a guitar I love and one I got a deal on as well.

There is an ‘88 on eBay but is way too overpriced. I maxed out my “best offers”, seller wouldn’t budge.

20. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

Get them both.

Neener likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.