2002 Custom Shop "Custom 59 Esquire"

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by BRoberts, Jul 13, 2019.

1. BRoberts

BRoberts TDPRI Member

Hello Everybody!

Just wondering if any of you could help me identify specs from this guitar I purchased. The COA says:"Custom 59 Esquire",serial number CN96207. Its signed by Gordon J. Parkman, who apparently was the head of the Custom Shop in 2002. The guitar was advertised to me as a NOS, and in the neck pickup rout, its stamped "59 NOS". The body is dated(stamped) Jul 12, 2002. However in the neck cavity "63 Tele" is written in pen. Also the word RELIC is stamped into the neck cavity.

The neck heel is dated(stamped) Aug 30, 2002. But, the neck heel has "61 Tele" written in pen. The neck heel also has RELIC stamped into it.

The guitar itself has a 2-tone sunburst ash body, a slab-board, and a Esquire decal, It also has some 50's appointments: dome knobs, brass saddles w/slotted length adjustment screws. (all the other screws on the guitar are phillips) and the pickup is flat-pole with black and yellow cloth covered leads.
    The switch tip is barrel-style, but matte finish and with some scratches on it.(a Road-Worn replacement?) Also the bridge plate is stamped "Fender Pat. Pend."

Which brings us to the condition of the guitar, It seems like it could be an NOS to light relic, with some distress to the body and headstock, but none to the back of the neck or fingerboard.

If any of you have any info on this guitar (or another one like it), please let me know!

2. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

Pictures please.

3. BRoberts

BRoberts TDPRI Member

Hey Everybody, Here are the photos.

Attached Files:

Stubee likes this.
  4. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

I always thought the Esquire had just a bridge pickup ...

5. BRoberts

BRoberts TDPRI Member

Yes, the previous owner installed a ‘51 Nocaster neck pickup. I did not mention that in my opening post, because I want to know if any Tele fanatic(in cyberspace) knew about the origins of this exact guitar.

6. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Call Fender in Scottsdale Az. You will get all the info your looking for.

7. BRoberts

BRoberts TDPRI Member

Thank you TeleTown for the advice. I have called Fender Consumer Relations. They said because the guitar was a 2002, unfortunately all the specs they had for this serial number were "custom instrument". Is there a different number for the Fender Custom Shop?

And, if anyone else out there knows anything about this one, please let me know!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.