2001 (Korean) Epiphone ES-335Pro vs. a 2019 Epi ES-335Pro ?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by CavalierX, Jan 25, 2020.

1. CavalierX

CavalierX TDPRI Member

Can anyone give me a primer on what the differences are going to be here? I know the 2001 Korean made 335 should be a pretty quality build, but I am not sure about pickups, and other parts/components etc. People seem to really like the Chinese made 335 and it sounds pretty nice in the video reviews I have heard.

Musician's Friend is selling a Limited Edition Epiphone ES-335 Pro for $399 right now. They look great and seem to have VERY positive reviews. However- someone is selling a 2001 MiK Es-335 Pro for $400 with a hard case. I am not sure this is a great deal really since I don't really care it comes with a hard shell case- 20 years of wear is 20 years even if it was babied.

Thanks for advice- I have been searching for comparisons and have not had much luck. I am pretty much a "Semi-Hollow" newb and all my guitars are either solid body Teles, Strats, LP, or acoustics.

Here is a shot or 2 of the local MiK 335 thats for sale.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

telestratosonic and nojazzhere like this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

With absolutely NOTHING to back this up, rumor has it that my Grote 335-style (unbelievable quality for the price) is made in the Chinese Epiphone plant.
    I have owned a number of Korean made instruments, (Samick, Fender Squier, DeArmond, PRS SE One ) and would put them up against ANY contemporary instrument. I'd simply have to play your choices to make a decision, but given what you've asked, I'd go with the made in Korea.

3. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I doubt there will be a big difference in quality, both should be ok.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. CavalierX

CavalierX TDPRI Member

So far the only thing I can put together is that the MiK should be a Samick build.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

And I don't think I've EVER played any Samick that wasn't excellent.

kuvash likes this.
  6. Stratospheric

Stratospheric TDPRI Member

I have a 2001 MIK 335. Excellent build quality and after a setup has the best action of all the guitars I own. Setup with flat wound 12’s. But it has the old and rather bland hotch/57ch pickups. I’ve never replaced them but often think about it. I’ve also got a 2005 Indo epi dot 335. Complete different guitar to play, lighter and twangier, and build quality is nowhere near the Samick built 335. I think you would get more for you’re money with the 2001 unless you’re really fond of the new model.

telestratosonic likes this.
  7. Stratospheric

Correction, just checked, my 2005 is actually a 2004 EE serial number, made in China. Def not Indonesian.

8. Stratospheric

And my 2001 has an ROOK- serial number, making it a peerless factory build. Should of checked before posting!

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'd go with the MiK. I sold my MiK Epiphone Sheraton II a few years ago. I purchased it new in 2010. I found the pickups to be a little muddy for my taste but the build quality was every bit as good as my USA Gibson Les Paul which I had at the time.

10. CavalierX

CavalierX TDPRI Member

So... just figured out that the MiK 2001 is actually a DOT and has no binding on the neck and Dot inlays. I also doubt the controls are Push-Pull for splitting... I am not a Semi-Hollow guy (as of yet) and I think MAYBE that option has some real appeal for me being a single coil guy and wanting this to string heavy (12-54 or maybe 11-52?) and play slide. I am running 10-52 on all my Teles in standard tuning but the actions are too low for any good slide playing and I just want different tone options. I am as yet undecided. The Guy with the MiK seems to be inflexible on price... so, I still don't know. That stupid Grote on Amazon for $159 isn't make this decision easier, since I am willing to do a little work for upgrades.

11. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Depends how often it was played.

I didn't know guitars have an expiration date, it would be nice of you to let the vintage dealers know.

12. CavalierX

CavalierX TDPRI Member

I never said anything about Expiration Dates... you want to consider a 2001 "vintage" that's your call. My point is/was, its age does not seem to be a BIG up tick in value, for any reason, as we are not talking about a 50s, 60s, 70s, or even an 80s or 90s. It does not appear to be some kind of magic, Made in the Orient, limited edition, or one off. The questions was and still is: is there something I am missing? Is there something to add regarding its value/worth increasing with its 20 year old age? Because I guess I am not feeling it . . . or seeing it or whatnot. At this point it seems short of playing them live and in person conciseness is leaning toward Korean early 2000s build quality, but not much else.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.