1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

2001 avri 52 neck thickness and other questions

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Kmaxbrady, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady Tele-Meister

I’m looking at a 2001 52 reissue for sale nearby. Can anyone tell me the exact neck thickness on these?
    Also, any pro/cons on the avri 52s from the 2000s?
    Also, where is the serial number on these?
    Lots of questions today, thanks :)

2. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Never had one, so I will try to help by memory (I've played a few). Some more knowlegeable guys will chime in.

1) Exact thickness is impossible to define: these necks were hans sanded so each one is pretty unique. If I had to guess, I'd say .88" at 1st fret and .94" at 12th, but I maybe wrong.

2) No real cons, these guitars have been on the market literally for decades so you can be sure that they are fine instruments. If you are a die-hard vintage guy, yuou could find your happiness in the American Vintage series (Aug. '12 - fall '17): some people say that they were of CS quality, that's why Fender killed them. What I do know for sure, is that the AV series is much accurate from a vintage pespective (pickups, finish, neck size/shapeetc.) but the truth is that the AVRI series highly regarded too. If you can, play it before and listen to you hands/ears.

3) Serial # is on the bridge plate.

Hope this helps.

Kmaxbrady likes this.
  3. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady Tele-Meister

I love the neck on the 2012-2017, but every one I see for sale has major chips in the finish. I know they went for a thin lacquer but they seem to have gone too far.

4. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Holic

The earlier ones have a poly finish that is almost a glass-like coating that is quite durable.

This also makes these characteristically quite heavy, and when/if the finish does chip, it's like a chipped china plate.

The one I owned years ago sounded righteous and had a real bite to it.

Kmaxbrady likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.