2000 Super Reverb PCB trade for Paisley Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by BigD, Aug 27, 2019.

1. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

What are your thoughts on a 20 year old PCB SR? It has just been gone through by a well respected local amp guru. I don’t really need it and would rarely if ever gig with it but I wouldn’t mind having a Super Reverb in my collection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I would sell the Tele for money and buy a real 50 year old Super Reverb.

PigBoy, teletimetx, Flaneur and 3 others like this.
  3. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Good plan!!!

Mike Simpson likes this.
  4. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

It’s the Silver Sparkle Brad Paisley Telecaster. [​IMG]

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

I love the SR RI..it records awesome....jensens are awesome. I dont care what is inside..it sounds marvelous...have 74 super & the 2 are my fav amps. Thet chased out some good ones. 73 for rawness & RI for precise & articulate.

It's a real amp BTW.... SRRI (2).jpg

6. bftfender

Optimized-southload1 (2).jpg

BigD likes this.
  7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

People often don't think.....if Leo were around today HE'D probably be using printed circuit boards.
    It costs a bit of money, but you can always have an amp builder replicate a hand-wired amp in a reissue chassis.

BigD likes this.
  8. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

No way I would do that.
    For me, that Tele would get a lot of usage.
    The Super would never leave my house.
    If I'm not going to use it, I certainly don't need it.

Luthier Vandros, nojazzhere and BigD like this.
  9. Mike Simpson

I owned 5 Super Reverbs at the same time... 65, two 66's (one cut down as a head), 68 and a RI, Sold the RI first, Sold the 68 to a band member. I still have the original 65 and one of the 66's in a 2x10 cabinet. I was able to compare the reissue to 4 other vintage Super Reverbs, I kept the ones I kept based on sound. The Reissue is not a bad amp, I gigged with it for a while, but it did not sound as good as an original 65 in good condition so I sold it.

I never take the Supers out anymore, I play most gigs with a 74 Princeton Reverb or a 72 Deluxe Reverb.

Supers.jpg

10. Mike Simpson

I have often wondered... if Leo remained in charge of The Fender company, would he have allowed a lot of the post CBS to current "stuff" to be produced with his name and reputation on it.

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

PCB=printed circuit board? I've got an 80's "PCB" TR. The other 'amp' maker has been using PCBs for 40+ years now...truly, the numbers of folks that snurl noses at PCBs, are tiny. Now, digital or semi-conductor circuits are different. Those didn't come along till the 90's, and only in very small usage, so I'd say a 2000 SR may not have any ICs, or maybe one?

As far as trade values, I'd say that SR is maybe worth $850? Paisley should be worth about the same, maybe a bit more, so if you need the SR moreso, yea, looks like an even trade.

scelestus and BigD like this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I assume the Super Reverb I used in high school and college was a 1964, as it had Fender Electric Instruments on the front panel. It and an early silver face Deluxe Reverb were the most incredible amps I ever owned.
    I opened for Ian Moore many years ago. (around his Live at Steamboat period) He used a BF Super Reverb cut down to a head, with a 2X12" Marshall cab. It (and of course his playing) were outstanding.

BigD and Luthier Vandros like this.
  13. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

In a heartbeat.

BigD and Big_Bend like this.
  14. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Yes! I've been giging a 66 Princeton Reverb for about 7 years now, ever since the day I got it. And I ain't looking back!

nojazzhere and Luthier Vandros like this.
  15. bftfender

What timing !!! Just got my rough mix back...for "RUIN" 14 Gibson SGJ into Super RI,,clean & then goosed with Bogner LaGrange for leads..,,,i dont think it has to be vintage to Rock..i got vintage..but this thing kills for clarity

BigD likes this.
  16. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Agreed. Everybody needs to own a Super Reverb, at least for awhile. I truly believe the SR is the finest amp Leo ever designed.

Even if only playing at home, the Super Reverb will produce such glorious sounds, you'll never look at your other amps the same.

Enjoy...

17. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Someone mentioned that the current market value of each is fairly close. If that's true, then maybe all that really matters is which you
    want and will use more. If the SR is just going to be a closet queen then probably not a good idea. Unless you have multiple Teles
    and this is your least favorite one. Bottom line is that since market prices are close then really what matters is your specific wants
    and needs. If you would use both rarely then one consideration is that a guitar can sit in a closet untouched for years and it doesn't cost
    you a dime. A tube amp needs a cap job every 10 years or so.

Another consideration is maybe it just makes more sense to sell the guitar and
    buy a comparable cost amp that you would actually use more. For example a DR reissue.

I have a black-faced '72 SR and it is my best sounding amp, and I totally love it. That said, it often stays home. My Rivera
    SuperChamp sounds really great and is much more portable so that has been the one seeing more gig action lately.

When I look back on my guitar equipment buying and selling decisions, most of them I am happy with, some I am so-so with, and
    some I regret. I doubt that you would regret this trade, but it might just be so-so. Maybe it makes sense to wait for a trade or
    sell/buy opportunity that you are going to be super happy with.

18. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

This is some sound advice. I have a DR and a Quilter Aviator 112 and I don’t gig, at least not yet. I have two other Telecasters a few Strats and a Les Paul. My main intention is to sell the Brad Paisley Telecaster but a friend offered the trade. I’m kind of wanting to thin the herd a bit and I bought a new truck so I could use the cash for a payment.

I was mostly curious as to how the reissue amps hold up over time.
    Thanks for your well thought out response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

From my experience(DRRI) the reissues hold up just fine..I mean they have been in production a lot longer than the original BF's.. You can get an original Super Reverb(players grade) cheaper than a new reissue..I just wouldn't buy a new one..I like that Tele..I'd sell it out right and move off the Super since you've already got a giggable DR not knowing if it's a reissue or not(you only mention) DR.. those can get pretty loud before having to mic one up.. I know this

20. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Selling a Brad Paisley Telecaster in order to fund a truck payment seems like the making of an excellent country song.

BigD likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.