20 Years of MP3

Alamo

Doctor of Teleocity
The MP3 moniker was chosen on July 14, 1995.
before the code was called I3enc (a.k.a. MP3)
and was released on July 7, 1994 by The Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits.

The good, the bad, the ugly?
what's your take on it?

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
MP3's ?

Liked 'em when I had 'em.

Then my son re-formatted both of our external hard drives (#1 and the back-up) containing thousands of albums/records/cd's and now I have none.

(ALL of my music : no longer exists )

So, I have none and therefore have no opinion.

J-man

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
It was the format that made the downloading/streaming of digital music possible and for that, I love it.

I'm kind of a sponge for music.. I just constantly want to discover more music that I love and without the humble MP3 and the things it led to (such as streaming services), I wouldn't be able to listen to 1/100th the music I do today.

I can happily live without listening to 128kbit MP3's circa-2000 ever again, though.

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The MP3 moniker was chosen on July 14, 1995.
before the code was called I3enc (a.k.a. MP3)
and was released on July 7, 1994 by The Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits.

The good, the bad, the ugly?
what's your take on it?

The good is that one can store a lot of music files because they are compressed. The bad is that the sound quality is subpar. The ugly.......piracy?

J-man

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
The good is that one can store a lot of music files because they are compressed. The bad is that the sound quality is subpar. The ugly.......piracy?

The quality varies a lot, from crap to pretty decent. A properly ripped 320kbit mp3 using a modern codec really doesn't sound bad at all.

But I think everyone mainly remembers the crap, low quality ones. (Which were pretty bad)

Alamo

Doctor of Teleocity
MP3's ?

Liked 'em when I had 'em.

Then my son re-formatted both of our external hard drives (#1 and the back-up) containing thousands of albums/records/cd's and now I have none.

(ALL of my music : no longer exists )

So, I have none and therefore have no opinion.

Ouch!
sounds like your son wanted to decorate the kitchen but accidently set it on fire.

Don't you want to build a new collection?

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
I've ripped all my CDs to 320Kb mp3s. I can put 40 or 50 albums on a single 8Gb flash drive. In my car, where I do most of my music listening, you can't hear the slight bit of degradation from the original CD, and I can fit hundreds of albums into a couple of little zipper pouches in my glove compartment.

paratus

Friend of Leo's
MP3 and other compressed formats are often unlistenable IMO. Coupled with crappy DACs they have robbed most of a generation of the joys of listening to high quality audio.

I like the convenience of FLAC or WAV files through good hardware, I am not a Luddite. I can't listen to sattellite radio though. My wife thinks that is funny.

J-man

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
At 10x the size of an MP3, neither FLAC nor WAV were/are especially convenient.

Jefe

Tele-Afflicted
My hearing is so bad due to tinnitus, that I can't hear the difference any more. MP3s are generally pretty good to my ears.

BartS

Friend of Leo's
Personally I prefer WAV. I have had a lot of fun listening to MP3s too. I mean I can get on Terabyte of memory for like like 50 dollars which is a lot of wave files. MP3s were cool for like in the year 2000 though when memory and data transfer speeds were much slower. A good mp3 encoding with good digital conversion sounds fine.

simonsp

Friend of Leo's
Undoubtedly useful for many applications, it has never managed to achieve the sumptuousness of vinyl through a good hi fi system. I now have all the music I could ever desire but I don't listen to it one tenth as much as when I had a collection of 150 vinyl LPs.

kelnet

Telefied
Ad Free Member
My oldest MP3 files sound better than my cassettes of the same age.

And really, with all the background noise around here, from the massive construction going on down the hill, to traffic noise, to the birds, squirrels, and children making a racket outside, I can't hear the difference between 128 and 320. The tinnitus adds another layer of noise, as does the fridge, the furnace, and the sound of the keyboard as I comment on MP3 quality while listening to an MP3.

I suppose if you had a room like this, the difference would certainly be noticeable.

022_front_of_room_web.jpg

9_4.jpg

How many folks here, though, have a listening room?

And when did making sure the speaker cables didn't touch the floor become a thing?

J-man

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
While I will listen to the best quality music on the best quality system I have available to me at the time, I don't think you need an expensive hi-fi setup to enjoy music. If being an audiophile means not being able to enjoy a wonderful piece of music because the playback is mediocre, then I do not want to be an audiophile.

Poster Extraordinaire
I have some of my music, on an old MP3 Apple Ipod.
The bulk of it though, is still on CD, played through a 27 year-old Magnavox CD player.

Steve

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
MP3 was and is awesome.
I am being selfish and only thinking about myself, but it allowed me to get rid of 5K albums, a zillion cassettes etc. I recovered a ton of room and with decent backups, I've not lost anything over the years... I have a decent stereo but nothing audiophile quality and I'm generally thrilled with the ease and fidelity of the format.

Heck, I listen to a lot of old recordings of Jimmie Rodgers and you can hear the scratches on the record... but being able to pull it up whenever I want without all the record hassle is nice!

Mr. Lumbergh

Poster Extraordinaire
The ability to take my entire collection with me on the road with a 60GB iPod classic connected right to the head unit in my truck, or being able to play something on my phone just because I feel like hearing it right now makes it an absolutely wonderful thing IMHO. When I'm home I like to drop the needle on a record just for the fun of it, and it gets even more wonderful. What's not to like?
Trolling record stores for LP's? Yeah, I still love to do that, but the reality is that I usually get to listen to music while driving and mp3 is perfect for that.

drmcclainphd

Tele-Afflicted
My publisher accepts samples emailed in as MP3 attachments only.

I don't have a problem with MP3s myself. I have a problem with 44.1k sampling rate, whether MP3 or CD. High compression rates make it more obvious is all.