1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

2 yr old dishwasher takes 2-3 hrs/days/weeks to complete normal cycle

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I redid our kitchen 2 yrs ago and did the Ikea thing as we’re not sure how much longer we’re staying here, and they had a blowout sale on everything.

So we got a decent Ikea gas stoven and their cabinet-front dishwasher (Globfartt ?). Both seem to work fine.

Why it took me two years to realize it I don’t know, but do all modern dishwashers take a super-long time to run a normal cycle ? Like approaching 3 hours ?

Ours has a 1 hour setting that my wife doesn’t like so , “normal” it is.

But man, I do not remember dishwashers from my past running this long.

I’ll get up in the middle of the night to de-water and the thing is still humming away.

Dishes are sparkling clean, no complaints there, maybe I’m just the latest old man on earth to complain about something working the way modern ones do ?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Yes they do!

I believe it's all part of the efficiency and water conservation thing!.

erratick and Mike Eskimo like this.
  3. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

I’ve reached that point in life where I rarely deal with our automatic dishwasher because it’s one of the teenagers chores. However my occasional bowl of ice cream can be thwarted because the dishwasher cycle hasn’t completed with the all spoons inside. Thanks for the reminder to stop off and get more spoons.

4. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I just bought one last summer.
    It has a quick cycle that won't get anything clean. So three hours it is, if I want clean dishes. And I have to feed it fancy detergents, too.

So I mostly hand wash now. I find that I do a good job quickly and reliably and only require regular old soap.

I listen to music and dance around in the kitchen like I'm happy about it, too. It's part of that little trick I'm always trying to play on my mind.

Mike Eskimo and Pualee like this.
  5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes, it is insane. Ours has a short-cycle setting that runs half as long and gets the dishes perfectly clean. So I try to be the one to run it whenever I can, to choose that setting. My wife would have none of that.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  6. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

I've found it is faster to hand wash dishes (4 people).

Running the dishwasher requires a pre-rinse, 75 minutes, and time to dry, then unload. If you forget to open the washer after it is done, it won't actually dry, and I have to hand dry. Sometimes the soap tray doesn't open correctly, and I end up with half washed dishes that may or may not have un dissolved soap on them! This stuff is highly toxic, so I have to wash again.

I run it once a week to keep it in working condition for when I decide to sell the house in 10 years. I have 3 kids that rotate doing dishes, so it is minimal effort for any of us.

Jlwctn, rangercaster and Mike Eskimo like this.
  7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Newer models run longer circulating same water more. About same time as your new one we gave up on all the crappy variants of same US ones that fail in few years or leave you trying to fix plastic and got a German one. It is better but the key thing is the best salesperson said some complain and we might not like the longer wash cycle but we'll have cleaner dishes. Our new takes much longer Bosch gets gunk off of items we never thought could be possible.

You have to load the new unit carefully but if you do that, I'll take the long cycles any day because it works better. Another another WhirlMayKitchenAmana piece of crap like the others would have had it's first stupid problem by now.

I'm in a pissed off at appliances mode because we've been in this house since 2006. The new Kenmore washer and dryer were shot in a few years. This week the Maytag that's had too many repairs crapped out. Because we actually eat at home and cook a lot our not that old fridge is falling apart too.

Appliance makers: If hell exists it's made for your sorry selves. Don't make your better stuff lipstick on a pig - same crappy innards with more features.

Some of us would actually pay for it if you didn't make crap. If your sorry selves made the Camry, Tacoma, Sienna, Accord or Civic of appliances instead of crap you could rule the appliance earth. Come on you miserable idiots. We'll pay a premium for a Toyota and use the heck out of it every day for 20 years. We'd do same if your appliances were not such utter crap.

richiek65, Slip Kid, tubegeek and 5 others like this.
  8. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Holic

Yea...our new dishwasher take 2-3 hrs. plus..you have to make sure to add the "drying" liquid.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  9. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dang. Mebbe we are lucky. Have Whirlpool topload washer & frontload dryer since 2007: zero problems. Have Whirlpool DW*, Fridge, Stove for 2.5 yrs: zero problem so far. These are all basic models - it's the bells & whistles that cause most issues. Neighbor bought all Miele apps a few yrs ago: the Miele repair truck was there 2x each month, up until they moved.

*@2.5hr runtime

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Danb541 and Mike Eskimo like this.
  10. Mike Eskimo

yeah , once I bought the super-expensive soap pods and the rinse agent , I thought, “boy, this takes-forever dishwasher really gets these dishes clean !” :lol:

yeah, I was over at my bandmates house, you know, the one with the wealthy Dr. wife?

I was standing in his kitchen and we were talking and all of a sudden a loud beep went off and scared the crap out of me and I said what the hell was that ? and he said oh - the dishwasher’s done. Two large drawer Bosch thingys on top of each other. Silent as a ghost’s fart.

When I asked what it cost , I had to stifle a laugh of incredulousness.

It’s funny how when people talk about reliability and what they are willing to pay a premium for, they are really talking about the average American-made good from 50-60 years ago.

My wife and I lived in plenty of crappy apartments/flats early on and they all came with some 40-year-old Kenmore or whirlpool dishwasher - that all still worked.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  11. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

We usually use the quick rinse cycle until we have a full load. I think that is about 12 minutes. After that we use the one hour cycle. Seems to work fine. We have a Kenmore which was made by Whirlpool. I think that Whirlpool had the Ikea contract as well. All of that may have changed fairly recently though. Sears dropped Whirlpool as the parent supplier of Kenmore. Not sure about Ikea.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  12. Supa Necta

Supa Necta TDPRI Member

Timely thread as my 2010 Amana cleans great in 30-45 minutes and my girlfriend’s fancy new one takes 3 hours and leaves a waxy film on everything.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  13. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Water heaters, too. And climate control. EVERYTHING is made to fail in less than 10 years.

I'm with you, imwjl. I don't want digital or bells and whistles, I want something that works every time.

I've been part-swap-fixing my washer and dryer for the entire 3 years I've owned them.

I currently own three 20-year-old refrigerators. I'd rather have either one of those than have to buy something manufactured in this century.

14. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

You can buy a reasonably priced Bosch. Last round of buying 2 years ago I looked at innards of several. Many share the basics. The Bosch 3 trays is also a superior design.

On that Amana, our 2010 that got used 1-2 times a day was crap by 2018.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  15. Mike Eskimo

The plumber that installed our new American-made water heater 5-6 years ago said we’d be lucky to get 15 years out of it. The one that failed was 27 years old and we never serviced/maintained it.

rangercaster likes this.
  16. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My new washer has a normal mode that takes @ 2.5 hours, but that can be knocked down by 30-ish minutes is I turn off the 'heat-dry' function, which, I presume saves me a lot of energy, too. I've learned that if I open the washer as soon as it finishes, the bulk of the steam escapes and the dishes dry fairly quickly on their own. I did learn the 'environmentally friendly' detergents aren't really doing that good a job, so "the Good Stuff" it is.

And it is reallllly quiet. Like, I can stand next to it and carry on a conversation with my wife from across the room quiet.

I am wondering why the amount of time it requires is important...my old US-made dishwasher required 2 hours and was so loud I set the timer so it would run overnight so we didn't have to hear it, so the durations seemed irrelevant.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  17. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Our dishwasher is probably 20yo...the "normal" cycle is 2 hours.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  18. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Public Service Announcement : Do not clean motorcycle parts in your dishwasher .

19. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The KitchenAid we currently have requires less pre-rinsing and gets the dishes much cleaner than the Bosch that crapped out on us after only 2.5-3 years. I'll pass on buying another Bosch, thanks.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  20. Mike Eskimo

Bosch makes really good demo hammers though !

Ron R likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.