2 x Prince Of Tone Vs King Of Tone

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TokyoPortrait, May 14, 2021.

1. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

There was a recent KoT thread (or 2?), and in it several questions were raised, including comparisons with the Prince of Tone.

Can't seem to find that thread now, so I'll just start a new one.

Anyway, this just popped up.

Pax/
    Dean

deus56 and 4pickupguy like this.
  2. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Awesome, thanks for posting!!

Now the Prince of Tone's will go on a one year waitlist?

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  3. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I just watched the episode and I guess I just don’t like the KoT thing. I did like the PoT however. I like it when they experiment with stuff I can’t afford or am literally too old to order. Actually, I was on the list years ago and when my slot came up, a snide comment regarding my home state prompted me to cancel my order in very unambiguous terms. Everyone has bad days I guess... I would like to stumble upon a used SunFace someday...

4. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I love my Prince of Tone. I've been on the King of Tone waitlist for 27 months. I'm not desperate to get a KoT, so it isn't a big deal to me to wait my turn. I'll buy one if my turn ever comes. They're really nice and not too expensive, considering it is functionally two handmade pedals.

Do the guys in that video sell the fancy switching system they are using? The video seems to be an ad for the switcher more than the KoT or PoT.

5. bluesholyman

The GigRig [switcher] is Dan's company - he's the tele guy on the right. Its in every single video they do, but they are actually quite good about not "selling" during the show.

Perhaps the upsell is subtle and I'm just used to it by now. The show is good stuff though, not a promotional platform by any means...

6. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I think they are actually selling quite hard in a market that's overrun by choices. Same as Wampler and JHS.

You note how they entertain and inform without pushing their own products, and at times specifically say that they aren't pushing their own products. An image is formed in your mind, a positive one. When the time comes to buy a product you give them a look because of the positive image and the air of credibility they've engendered in your mind. It's pretty slick and not at all sleazy.

Sort of passive aggressive marketing, as opposed to the Sham-Wow guy approach that guys like Vertex or EHX seem to take.

Tim S, Tele-friend and TokyoPortrait like this.
  7. bluesholyman

They aren't pedal builders so I don't think thats a fair comparison. They aren't QVS of the pedal world either - its a pedal show...about guitar playing and gear.

I find their videos both educational and informational, but I never felt like I had to go out and buy something after watching. There are plenty of videos out there that did do that - Andy @ PGS videos for instance - not dissing on Andy, but two different goals, his platform w/PGS vs Dan/Mick at TPS.

I think their end goal is to educate and inform. If anything, they promote the sale of swag that supports the channel, but not the gear in the show itself, whether it's the G2 or the pedals plugged into it. I think they both have opinions about what they like and what they don't, but thats their personal preference coming out and I think thats part of the charm of the show, not and intentional sales tactic.

to-may-to? to-mah-to? I don't feel sold, but the G2 does look slick :p

8. JuneauMike

Yep. The G-2 is slick and huge and the power supply (which I'm assuming is a big moneymaker for him) is cumbersome and insufferably British. It reminds me of the comparison between a Fender tweed schematic and a Vox, using 20 components to do the job of one. But I would totally buy from them because in my mind, I trust them.

omahaaudio likes this.
  9. bluesholyman

I thought this was only cars...learned something new.

Yes, agreed. Besides, I am not sure there is anything else on the market like the G2, at least not that I have found. Either way, it seems a solid piece and I think Dan is a businessman worth working with, regardless of his youtube stature.

JuneauMike likes this.
  10. JuneauMike

No, there are a few out there. They are MIDI capable or otherwise digital pedal switchers. Boss sells a supposedly good one. Rocktron, Moen, others. But if I needed such a thing, I'd want GigRig. Not sure why exactly. It's just a feeling I get. ;)

11. TokyoPortrait

Hi.

Yes, I almost bought a Sunface, but the realisation I must have been very near the top of the KoT list at the time pulled me up, and I went with a kit. One day though, I'd like one. They seem great. Once you figure out which options to go with...

Pax/
    Dean

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  12. TokyoPortrait

Hi.

That was me. I just went on it, thinking why not and one day. And then suddenly (as in, it just happened, not temporal sudden), it was 'one day.'

Dan, the guy on the right, owns the company that makes them. Actually, while they use it, they seldom talk about it. Dan gets uncomfortable talking about it and doesn't want the show to be about it or promote it. He will also mention other brand alternatives if the subject comes up. Incidentally, it's very much a pro system. While anyone could use it of course, a lot of really heavy hitters use his system, and he occasionally gets flown places to help set up stage rigs, etc. It's all pretty impressive and he's done well.

Pax/
    Dean

Piotr and Edgar Allan Presley like this.
  13. TokyoPortrait

Hi.

Yeah, I get what you are saying, and was going to add that maybe this was happening in my previous post.

But, I think they are probably not pushing the GigRig stuff. They do push the pedals and merch, which is fine. It's their joint efforts. GigRig is totally Dan's deal, so there are probably issues too with him profiting off their joint venture. I truely think any GigRig gained sales are probably just seen as a small incidental benefit.

But yeah, who knows.

Pax/
    Dean

JuneauMike likes this.
  14. JuneauMike

That creates an interesting conundrum. Those are digital effects switching units with onboard memory, of which there are several on the market at various price ranges and functionality. They've done shows on all sorts of guitar accessories and amplifiers. Wouldn't it be fun to see them do a show on those switching units too. Or power supplies, while they are at it. Those are important pieces of kit to a lot of guitarists and they are sorta the elephant in the room.

15. bluesholyman

You are totally messing with me :lol:

TokyoPortrait and JuneauMike like this.
  16. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Someone is asking $350 for a POT on And it is a USA business.

17. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I've never heard the King of Tone's NOS clipping diodes mentioned in any Prince of Tone discussion. Can anyone verify that the PoT comes equipped with them? I apologize if they're mentioned in the clip. Don't have an hour to spend viewing it today.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  18. TokyoPortrait

Hi.

I only finished watching that show this morning, and I confess, with something less than full attention.

Anyway, I *think* they referred several times to the PoT being the same as one side of a KoT.

However, I’m very confident I’ve read in more than one place that the circuits are very similar, but not the same.

Analogman says it’s the same as one half of a KoT, but then also goes on to say the gain is higher and the ‘distortion’ is improved. And then there’s mention of other changes. But, he also says the same good components are used.

So, I don’t really know. I’m guessing though, that the components must be the same at least, as that’s stated, but some circuit changes or switchable additions are happening?

Ypu have to scroll and hunt a little for the info.

https://www.buyanalogman.com/Analog_Man_Prince_of_Tone_overdrive_pedal_p/ampot.htm

Pax/
    Dean

19. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

Actually, if you are posting a YouTube video comparing the sound of various signal chains, a true-bypass loop-switching system is a necessity
    I see many videos with multiple effects chained together and turned on and off to compare sounds. This method masks the influence of buffer loads, cable capacitance and improper gain-staging. The Pedal Show guys do a good job of describing the specs of various gear that leads to the "doesn't work well in that scenario" situations

20. TokyoPortrait

Hi.

So, just finished watching the whole show. And, as I confessed above, not with my full attention. It just became a whole bunch of similar.

Sure, there were differences, major too, if you want to frame them that way. Or subtle, if looked at another way.

I felt, obviously subjectively, that the PoT sounded better sometimes, the KoT others, and the other choices at yet other times. All mixed up and compounded by the different styles / genres being played, the various pedal combinations running and the different guitars used.

My conclusion - they’re all very good if you like them. Which is both not saying very much and saying everything.

One of the most positive things I can say about my own KoT mirrors and possibly expands on what Dan said, it really does allow the character of the guitar to come through, even when colouring / shaping the tone. On top of that, it doesn’t overly colour the amp either - if that is indeed a separate thing. And that’s great, if it’s what you are after.

On the other hand, I have at least three other pedals that do that too. Or rather, can do that, if you wish.

Still glad I have one though.

Pax/
    Dean

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.