2 x 12 speaker combination suggestions

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dkevin, Feb 21, 2020.

1. dkevin

dkevin Tele-Meister

I am looking to populate a Silvertone 1484 speaker cabinet. I bought a couple of them in derelict condition and the speakers were non-functional. They were Jensen C12Q's. I am looking for suggestions for 12 inch speaker combinations to pair up in these cabinets. The approximate wattage is 30 (P/P 6L6's at lower voltages) and a 4 ohm total load. If you have several potential suggestions perhaps you could label them as to the estimated retail price of the 2 speakers. Total cost is, as always, a factor in this decision. I know I am asking a lot but I am sure that more than a few of you have walked this pathway ahead of me and have wise advice to share. Thank you for your input!

2. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

I think the best overall sounding cabinet I have is an open back Avatar G212 loaded with an Eminence Legend 125 and a Reverend Alltone 1250 run at 16 ohms. I've paid more for other speakers and/or speaker cabinets, but none sounds as good as this one.

On a budget, I'd stick a pair of 8 ohm Eminence Legend 125s. They are very versatile, do the beautiful Fender clean and can be purchased at very reasonable prices.

Another option is to pair a 125 with something else: a Vintage 30, a G12M-25 Greenback (brighter); an Eminence Wizard; Eminence Governor; or an Eminence Private Jack.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    W.L.Weller likes this.
  3. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Celestian Vintage 30 with a Heritage G12H make a nice combination in a 2x12. It has been a common set-up for several years now.

4. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Your best bet for cheap 12" guitar speakers is probably buying a mono 8 ohm 4x12 cabinet and taking the speakers from it. You may or may not be able to sell the empty cabinet for a few bucks, further offsetting your costs.

Alternatively, just set yourself some Craigslist notifications.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.