2 x 10 cabinet for my 1964 tremolux

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by powerwagonjohn, Nov 7, 2016.

1. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

I have been looking for a 2 x 10 cab for my Tremolux as I never had one. They are hard to find and expensive. Who makes a nice repro cab for my Tremolux. I would rather spend my money on good speakers. any suggestions on speakers? That's a loaded question!!
    Thanks John

2. sunkidd

sunkidd Tele-Holic

I was hopin'...
    you wanted to trade the Tremolux for my 2x10 cab....
    then I read your post....
    I panicked... sorry....:(

3. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I had a 2X10 cabinet made for a Super Champ head. If I recall , the builder is in the south - Lamar Cabinets. He builds Fender and other styles, speakers to your choice. It wasn't more than a couple hundred bucks. And the quality is excellent. Just make sure you give him the desired cabinet dimensions to match the repro you're after. He uses Fender-style corners and handles, grille cloth and Tolex. Closed or open back. Mine has a removeable center panel to suit either. And, a back panel-mounted jack.

4. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

My usual response to this question

Jeff Earl at J Design Cabs

5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

6. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

In regards to the second part of your question, you might try some vintage Jensens or something modern like Ragin Cajuns

7. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I have a Blackface Tremolux cab, and honestly, my favorite speakers in it are Jensen MOD 10-50s. Not very efficient, but they sound great, and handle bass at sane volumes. Playing bass through them breaks them in pretty quickly, without actually "breaking" them.

8. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

You should be able to find a local cabinet builder who can make finger-jointed pine cabinets with tweed or Tolex covering. If not, my local guy in Portland OR is good....
    http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/5837980536.html

Look at the Legend 1028k unless you like a lot of bass from your guitar.

9. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Newell makes nice cabs, but you'll have to ask him to build a Tremolux cab to original specs. I have one, bought used, and it's his default config: no baffle, no fiberglass, and two 3 1/2" round ports. It might work with some speakers, but you'll need to do a lot of calculation to find ones that like ports. I covered the ports and put in fiberglass. Sounds great with Weber speakers: a 12A125 and a Blue Pup.

11. InAbsentia

InAbsentia TDPRI Member

Just picked up a 112 cabinet from Audiozone on ebay. Was ridiculously cheap, and insanely well built and sounds great. Might be worth it to give him a call and see what he would be able to do. I paid about as much as the wood would have cost me to build a cabinet myself.

http://www.audiozonia.com/

12. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

I have a guy that E-mailed me about a orig. cab and we will try and work something out. Thanks for the tip on Audiozone, I did not know of them. I get down to Iowa quite often and have a very good friend 10 miles from Nevada. I will definitely check them out.
    Thanks John

InAbsentia likes this.
  13. JTM45blues

JTM45blues Tele-Afflicted

Please check out Peter Mather at Mather Cabs. Best cabinet work I've ever seen and very reasonable prices. Ironically I just sold one of his Blond Tremolux style cabs, because I no longer have the head.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.