2"x 10" cab build...what could possibly go wrong !

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by tweeet, Feb 14, 2020.

1. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

So I fancied building a cab for my Roland JC 22. Disconnect the amps speakers and use the cab. I bought a pair of Eminence GA10 SC64's = £150...plywood and batten wood = £12...all extra bits eg.chrome corners, wire, screws, rubber feet, handle off Ebay total = £20....leatherette off Ebay = £20. I would have got Tolex off Ebay but they didn't have a colour I liked as I wanted something different, plus it was expensive, Allparts UK had Tolex ...£30 a yard !!!! Before I started I found out that the UK has nothing like the amount of choice the USA has for projects like this.

I took measurements off the web to size my cab. Planned ahead and tried to work all specs out on paper.
    Stamco supplies cut my chinese plywood (this was prior to the coronavirus outbreak :) ) to size.
    I have hardly any power tools...hand saws..etc only and a sander. thumbnail.jpg thumbnail (5).jpg thumbnail (3).jpg

teletimetx and tah1962 like this.
  2. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

The baffle. I didn't have a jigsaw and to buy one was £35 ...so went the drill and coping saw route. What seemed like a gym workout and days later I managed this. A bit of hand rasping and sanding and it wasn't too bad. thumbnail (1).jpg thumbnail (7).jpg thumbnail (6).jpg

holes drill for T-nuts

Chunkocaster and Snfoilhat like this.
  3. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

Started drilling for jacks...as it's an open backed cab I have a top and a bottom. The leatherette is a wine red finish and was 1.2mm thick...a tad thicker than 0.7mm tolex. Using carpet glue in a spray can from Wickes. I used a rubber roller and blade knife to get it on the cab (instructions from youtube). The first problem arose as the leatherette wasn't long enough to cover it in one go so had to use two joins which went on the base of the cab. thumbnail (8).jpg

Attached Files:

thunderbyrd and pickaguitar like this.
  4. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

Checked everything fitted before starting to glue the covering on. Covering the cab wasn't that difficult...whether the glue takes properly I will have to wait and see. thumbnail (12).jpg

Corners, handle and feet went on...tried the speakers with the amp and it sounds really good so far.

tubedood likes this.
  5. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

Got the grill cloth from Laney £20... (I have a Laney Lt 20 1x12) as I wanted a similar look as the amp...made a frame and stretched the canvas over it using a staple gun. I used a hairdryer to soften ? (youtube) but I couldn't really tell if that helped or not...it looked great. BUT, IT DIDN'T FIT !! I hadn't taken into account the extra thickness of the material and the piping ( £4.50 Ebay)...no way was this going to fit...so I had to unstaple the lot...use a coping saw to take 4mm off two sides of the frame. A little hand planing later and I re stapled the cloth and piping. YAY !! Fit like a glurve x thumbnail (10).jpg thumbnail (13).jpg

marc2211 likes this.
  6. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

Finished. On transporting from the kitchen to the lounge I bashed it on a door frame ...grrrrrrrr...took a chunk of leatherette out so I tried a repair..along with a few scratches it actually looks like a vintage finish now ! I'm looking forward to gigging with this set up in two weeks. Electric 12 string through Janglebox into Roland JC 22 through 2x10 Eminence GA10's. My Mrs has banned me from doing another project this year...I haven't a man shed...so I have to say I did everything in the garden...in 3* freezing cold...yes I did do bits in the garden...but most of it was done in the kitchen...and in true Oliver Hardy style...she is none the wiser !! Hope you enjoy this blog. thumbnail (11).jpg

Tube Life, stevemc and FenderLover like this.
  7. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Nice.
    I did the same to my PRRI
    IMG_20191222_175908.jpg
    IMG_20200104_125556.jpg
    IMG_20191222_181319.jpg
    IMG_20191223_112511.jpg

ce24, AlbertoMilanese, Gardo and 2 others like this.
  8. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Wow, sharp looking cabinet! Excellent speaker choice I may add. Enjoy.

9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Looking good!
    Yeah, leatherette doesn't hold up like Tolex. I bet that wood is a lot lighter than the stuff Roland uses...?

tweeet likes this.
  10. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

11. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

totally agree on the tolex/leatherette. I reckon if I gig with this a dozen times this year it'll look like it's been gigged for 20 years ! I haven't weighed it yet but it feels lighter than the Roland even though it's bigger...maybe 10kg ? The Roland is 11kg..26lbs.

12. AlbertoMilanese

AlbertoMilanese Tele-Meister

looks killer!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.