1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

2 weeks notice rant

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by medownsouth, Apr 14, 2021.

1. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

That's the way it's been at every company I've work for in the past 20 years or so, just confirmation of employment and length of time, nothing else. Some companies try to get an applicant to supply "professional references" instead of company references to get around this but that doesn't seem to work so well either, due to NDA's and such.

Social media being a toxic cesspool these days has led many employers to request people leaving a job, usually leaving involuntarily but sometimes voluntarily, to sign a non-disparagement agreement where the employee agrees not to say anything bad about the company online in exchange for a good/neutral reference or additional financial compensation.

buster poser and stormsedge like this.
  2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Many times all security rights and privileges are removed same day.
    It is really based on competitive practices. Some are walked out
    by security. Hope you did not sign a non compete clause.

stormsedge likes this.
  3. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

I've done that with a list of trusted colleagues because some companies get butthurt over employees potentially leaving or who are already gone. Most are or were under the same NDAs as me, and my experience has been that someone who's worked closely with me can say a lot without having to reveal any of the company's secrets. Prospective employers don't get my reference list until it's the last step before an offer. The people on it are marked with things like "former supervisor at ABC, Inc." or "colleague at XYZCorp" and there's a disclaimer at the top that says they speak for themselves and not the companies.

If that kind of agreement wasn't part of the offer when I was hired, there's no reason for me to sign one on the way out the door without additional consideration. I've heard stories of threats to withhold the final paycheck, but a quick call to the state labor department would clear that up.

bgmacaw likes this.
  4. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

In the past, whenever I've been laid off by employers, I've never received the courtesy of a two week notice.

Therefore...

68Telebass and bgmacaw like this.
  5. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

Just retired from 35 years in the IT field. This is not uncommon at all, in fact it is pretty much the norm. Several times I've gotten the orders to remove people from admin groups just because they had decided to leave the company.

SRHmusic and buster poser like this.
  6. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

Notice is intended to give THEM options. Some companies use it to transition. Some just cut you off and figure it's a legal obligation to pay you for a couple weeks. It's easier when they do it your way. Boring, but less rush to the gate.

7. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

Correct, In most of my former positions, if someone with high level privileges, like a domain administrator tenders a 2 week notice, they are immediately terminated, almost always they do get the 2 weeks pay they would have received if they had worked the notice, but just too much risk to allow them to stay.

Drew617 likes this.
  8. bgmacaw

My favorite two weeks notice song...

Frankly, Mr. Shankly, this position I've held
    It pays my way, and it corrodes my soul

ThermionicScott and buster poser like this.
  9. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

Yes, Before you turn in your notice in most IT jobs, we colloquially referred to it as "Put your **** in a box".:). And you usually knew when someone was about to resign because over the period of a few days, anything personal, like pictures of their kids, wife, dogs, whatever, would get removed from their office as they took it home a piece or two at a time.

bgmacaw likes this.
  10. bgmacaw

When I was an IT contractor, I always traveled light when it came to taking personal stuff to the office. That habit of mine has carried over to what is jokingly referred to as "perm" positions.

Drew617 likes this.
  11. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I did not mention the other job where I was a commissioned sales person. The sales team did not get paid until the customer paid the company. I had decided to quit after I cut my finger on the job (I was six hours away fixing a company screwup) and ran up a $500 emergency room bill out of town. I came back and when the bill came in I handed it to the boss/owner who said he would take care of it. That was in January. Come August I was being courted by another company, and then got a notice that I was having a credit hit as I had not paid that emergency room bill. I went in the next day and mentioned it to the boss and ask what had happened. He gave me a weird look and said, "you have medical insurance don't you?". I shook my head and said, "yeah, you take a chunk out of my check every week for it." He says, "well there you go, file it with the insurance."
    I looked at him and said, "if I have hurt myself at home messing with my own screwup I would, but this was for the company, on company time so the company should pay the amount that the insurance did not cover."
    He just looked at me with a dumb look on his face. Then I said, "well I guess we can just turn it into workman's comp and they can handle it."
    He all of the sudden got excited to help and told me it would be paid that week.

Later that same day I got the offer from the other company and I went in and resigned the following Monday. Boss was all about me then, wanted to give me what it would take to keep me, but I told him anything he gave me would become an issue later as he would say I "forced" him into it. He informed me that he would take care of any commissions I had coming when the money came in and he appreciated me giving him almost a month notice. He never hired my replacement for training, instead he gave my accounts to the least successful sales person we had.

Fast forward a month and I am loving the new job and happen to run into one of my old co-workers. I asked about a project that was being finished when I left and if the company had been paid. He tells me they had been paid weeks ago, then I mentioned I was due commission. The other guy tells me that the boss never mentioned it but I should call and ask. So the next Monday I call and leave a message. The next week I call again and leave a message. Then the week after that I stop by the old office to check in and the boss is out of town by chance. So I left him a hand written note asking about my past commissions (this was like $2500) and when could I be expecting it. Another week went by and no call from the boss so I called the states business action line and filed a formal complaint about not being paid. They informed me they would contact the owner and come to an agreement.

Two weeks later I get a check in the mail for past commissions and a note from the owner telling me that the payments to the company had been delayed... on all ten of them?

I encourage everyone I know now to not allow managers/bosses/owners to treat you like I was treated. You work for them, you are not family, you are not an owner, you are an employee and you get paid a check for the hours that you give to your employer. Nothing more, nothing less.

68Telebass and Drew617 like this.
  12. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

This^^^^

In most instances now you can not be honest with an employer who checks past employment. If you say anything negative you could be sued for defamation unless you have written documentation. Most people just say, "yep they worked here, yes or no they are eligible for rehire"

13. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Well - today begins the 3 day countdown. Friday about noon, I'll be packing up all their gear and driving it to the nearest FedEx drop point. I've done what I could to document day to day workflow for the incoming manager, and I've interviewed a half dozen or so replacement candidates, and made my recommendations. Despite the snafu last week, things shook out as best they could methinks.

I do think that from now on that I'll consider offering 2 weeks notice on a case by case basis instead of just a boilerplate approach. And to be fair, I wouldn't get 2 weeks notice if I were being terminated.

Ronzo, 68Telebass, 1955 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

It's quite common for companies to fear data sabotage by departing employees.

15. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Congrats on the new job! It sounds you're worth it. Hoping you'll be working with people of your caliber. Onward!

Ronzo, medownsouth and getbent like this.
  16. ghostchord

ghostchord Tele-Meister

Congrats on the new job!

Where I work people give (and would get) 4 weeks' notice. We like to take people out for lunch on their last day (during normal times). Unless there's some sort of really exceptional situation people part ways amicably, make sure they finished all the stuff they're working on, help transition stuff to other people. That's generally been the idea in most place I've worked. Dealing with these situations, that always suck, in the nicest possible way is what good companies should and do do. Sometimes people that leave end up coming back some time in the future, it's happened.

With respect to future references, if you call someone and all they are willing to say is "this guy used to work here", then I wouldn't consider that to be a very warm reference ;) If they say "we were so sorry to see him leave, we'd hire him back in a blink of an eye, he did great work" - now that's more like it. Somehow I don't think anyone would be suing anyone over this phone call between a prospective new employer and some historic reference...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    1955 and lammie200 like this.
  17. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I work in a “small” city of 900,000 people. If someone walked out of my firm without giving two weeks notice they may have trouble getting a decent recommendation if they ever needed one. Also, I strongly suggest that you take two weeks off in between jobs. It might be hard to catch your breath if you are thrown into the fire right away and it may cloud your longer term outlook at your new job.

68Telebass likes this.
  18. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

What is "elevated system access?"

19. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

systems access beyond those of a standard user account

2HBStrat likes this.
  20. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

As an employer, I have often hid my joy or relief at receiving a resignation from a departing employee. Sometime the employee did not realize that I had intentionally made the existing job less desirable or had taken steps to ensure that the employee heard of a great opportunity elsewhere.

There have been a few times that I was sorry to see the employee leave, knowing that the employee could do better elsewhere, in a richer market or in a situation better suited to their interests and personality. I also don’t want to keep an employee whose attitude has gone flat or soured, sometimes for reasons that have nothing to do with the job.

I’m not as craven as you might think. I have always invested a lot of time and money in training. I realize that my small firm is unlikely to hold the most talented employees, so I expect them to leave after a time and usually maintain good relationships with them. Most of them, good and bad alike, have expressed gratitude for what my partner and I taught them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.