1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

2 weeks notice rant

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by medownsouth, Apr 14, 2021.

1. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

So, I landed my dream job last week. #1 in an IT service delivery organization: an opportunity to really make my mark on a service organization and I also doubled my salary. I was a good boy and gave my current employer 2 weeks notice effective term date the 23rd, and this morning - despite their asking me to do an insane amount of transition work in the next 2 weeks, they terminated all of my elevated system access. Which means I'm basically dead in the water.

Guess I'll just binge Shameless for the next 10 days; /rant

2. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Still getting paid?

3. medownsouth

Yep, so... Shameless :)

68Telebass, Fuelish, LocoTex and 19 others like this.
  4. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Perfect!

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Lo-o-o-ng lunches!

6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Congrats! I get it both ways. I haven't changed jobs very often but I have always given notice. Last time my manager actually asked if I could make it 3 or 4 weeks and they loaded me up to the very last day. I had very non-so-subtly hoped they'd say "bye" and I would get some down time. Enjoy your streaming.

NoTeleBob, teletail and medownsouth like this.
  7. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like a win/win where you are the winner both times.

Matt G, drf64 and medownsouth like this.
  8. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

"Two Weeks Notice" is, shocker, a construct/custom workers feel honor-bound by (I do). But it's encouraged by employers for their benefit, and they'll often use it to litigate your reasons for leaving, second-guess/belittle the decision, or just tell you to clear out immediately.

Last time I gave notice, it felt more than a little threatening after a day, so I told them I'd be working the remaining time from home. They continued to be weird about it, so I didn't work a bit. Came in on the weekend to clear out my stuff and left my office key.

Get that money and enjoy the show.

9. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I have no idea why you are complaining.

10. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

I worked at a place where everyone who left before me was terminated without pay within a day or two of giving two weeks notice. I gave two weeks anyway and they asked me to stay for six weeks. I had another job lined up and they would have let me start immediately so I told them no; two weeks was the best I could do. The were real excrement heads for my last two weeks. Part of my job was systems admin and they needed some work done so I agreed to come in Saturday and Sunday after my last day, for pay of course. The very last day I was told they didn't require my services. What Richard Craniums.

11. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

Maybe the OP takes pride in his work and doesn't like to sit around and do nothing on someone else's dime.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Sister company has four front office people and two gave two weeks notice, two weeks before opening for the season.
    Now the rest of us are scrambling to rearrange who does what and hire/train new staff.
    Our assistant manager got sent there and we have to hire while already short staffed.
    IOW, we're all screwed.

13. medownsouth

I have a great team, And without proper transition planning and documentation they are going to be the ones who suffer for it.

Telekarster, 1955, Controller and 4 others like this.
  14. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

It is now time to utter those words we all say at some time in our lives:

“What are they going to do, fire me?”

When I left my last job, where my employer assumed I would just grumble and adjust to all the changes I was vocal about not liking, they were a bit shocked when I gave my notice (actually, a bit less than two weeks, but as much as I could). During my final days, I happily ignored all the requests to do the new duties which I had told them would cause me to look for other work. I’m not a shirker, and I try to do even the worst job as well as I can, but I warned ‘em, and they didn’t listen. What are they going to do, fire me?

68Telebass, Oldsmobum, Dan R and 4 others like this.
  15. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I guess they're afraid of sabotage. In some types of work, I think separations are immediate for that very reason.

16. puddin

puddin Tele-Afflicted

Wow..i thought he was kidding..:eek:

teletail likes this.
  17. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

I have never given 2 weeks notice. First of all, weird sh*t like that happens. Second, if they were to lay me off, would they give me 2 weeks notice?

I usually blow out on pay day. And why not? The days of corporation taking care of their employees welfare is long gone. If it's a small business and you respect the ownership, then disregard the above.

18. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Holic

19. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

Telecasters84 likes this.
  20. Chandlerman

Chandlerman Tele-Meister

When I gave notice at my last job I was asked to prepare written summaries of my projects. I had about 30 projects. No problem, good idea, the boss was a new guy and I worked solo. Unfortunately he also wanted verbal summaries. As I expected, by the time I got to the third project he had forgotten everything about the first two projects. It was two wasted days of me talking and him forgetting.

Henley likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.