2 weeks ago thursday...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 24 track, Jul 12, 2019.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I get off work and I'm making myself a coffee , I look out the kitchen window and see a Doe in the back yard , My property goes back 230 feet ( up hill with 2 terraces )she's on the top terrace and she's fussing about 30 min later I see it , but she is still fussing and about 30 min more I see it again

-1.jpg

she has twins , the second one eyes seemed clouded over

-2.jpg

and after about 2 days these little guys are bouncing around like a pair of billy goats

the mom comes down to the immediate back yard to eat the cherry tree , cherries , and apricot trees and leaves and the babies stay hidden in the grass , this upsets harlo because he thinks the babies are another dog on his property and mom is really protective . about a week in mom decides to visit the back deck and help herself to the strawberries that reside in the back deck flowerpots, she is really familiar with our yard as I believe she was born here as well,

so Tuesday this week I am sitting in the studio with the patio doors open , I hear a faint sound from behind me and look around to see the bigger of the 2 fawns standing in my patio door his head in the house, I say Hello to him , then the second fawn pokes her head in and mom is in the back ground, they turn away and left to go do what a doe and her fawns do , in the wild ..... what a cool expieience.

about 2 years ago on December 9, I was having coffee in the morning sitting at the dinning room table and I look out the back to see a fawn staring back at me , this could have been the same doe ,when she was a fawn.

2. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I was riding my bike from work in Maryland and a fawn was on the side of the highway. I think it's mother had been hit by a car and it was hungry. I was able to pet it and it probably was hoping I could feed it. I tried to lead it behind a couple of buildings until it's mother returned but I think it also got hit by a car that night.
    In Maryland you can't take fawns home and have to leave them alone. A guy I work with said he would've taken it home anyway.

verb boten, RodeoTex and 24 track like this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

There is a whitetail birthing area just off of our property. As soon as the ravens show up and start their yacking, we know it is time to start looking out the windows or stay quiet on the deck to see fawns. No twins so far this year, but it is still a bit early for the does to show off their babies often. This is also the only time we see mountain lions roam past the house ... following the ravens I assume. They each hang around until they get a fawn and then move on. We have a black bear and cub hanging around right now too, so it is getting quite active and noisy.

verb boten, RodeoTex and 24 track like this.
  4. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

The fawns have several defense mechanisms. The half dead look is one the very young have. Also they have almost no scent. They lay in cover and predators walk right by. You should avoid putting any smell on them.

Obsessed, verb boten and 24 track like this.
  5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

My dad lived outside Birmingham Alabama and found a half starved fawn in his yard when he got home from work one day. It stuck around the house and was still there the next day so he put it in a pin with the family dog and fed it til it got older. Then he took it to a nearby wildlife preserve and let it go.

verb boten and 24 track like this.
  6. 24 track

We did not go near them , but watched from a didtance, it was cool the doe brought them to me, just before they left, it also indicated there were no bears in the area, at that time .

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    verb boten, Toto'sDad and Zepfan like this.
  7. 24 track

noticed a new Doe in the back yard today , this ones not preggers but still a beautiful animal, one of the best parts of living here

verb boten and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

My dad found an orphaned fawn when i was in the second grade. We bottle fed it and it became one of the outdoor pets along with the dogs, cats and javalina.
    My dad put his father's old small cowbell on her in hopes that nobody would shoot her.
    In the coming years she became less of a pet and more wild but she came back each spring for a couple of years to show off her babies.
    I was glad to see that she'd gotten that cowbell off her neck but I do wish I could find it.

verb boten, Toto'sDad and 24 track like this.
  9. 24 track

the mom and the fawns came back and i was really surprized to see another Doe with a new fawn , all 3 fawns are playing together and the moms just watch from a distance so cool to watch , they eat my weeds in the back then disapear into the green belt at the back.

RodeoTex and verb boten like this.
  10. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

Glad you realize how special you are to them, Dr Dolittle ;)
    Some very cool experiences you have there. :cool:
    The "city deer" are still a bit skittish here but roam between houses and alleys pretty freely. They would upset my mom, they passed by her house early in the morning and when she came outside to see her flowers they were gone, deer breakfast.

Mike Eskimo and 24 track like this.
  11. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

They're hell on the roses and strawberries. Cute though, I guess.

24 track likes this.
  12. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

We all need a little doe ... On the other hand, they need some bucks, too ...

verb boten and 24 track like this.
  13. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    We have at least four of them running around this year

Twins and two singles that we have seen

They can be annoying, but we live in their world

Obsessed, richiek65 and 24 track like this.
  14. 24 track

thats my thoughts exactly , even the bears that come through I dont worry too much the one grizzly i saw was only here because of the fires , the blacks who claim territory are some what worry some but harlo chases them off , and as long as i have deer I dont have bears,

Obsessed likes this.
  15. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Very unusual but I haven't seen any fawns yet. Usually in years past we'd see maybe 3 or 4 depending on the herd's movement up and down I81. Also no turkey poults. Had a flock of 20 or so that would help itself to the bird feed and last year the hens had the little ones in tow. Seems like they disappeared right after mating.

24 track likes this.
  16. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

That is so cool man. Such gentle and beautiful creatures.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019 at 5:30 PM
    24 track likes this.
  17. 24 track

I usually get grouse had a flock of 5 hens and one rooster came back every year havent seen them this year though

P5221117.JPG

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Yup, when the deer are not around, it is a sure indication of bears or mountain lions are nearby.

When bears are around, have you ever heard them give a single bark at dusk? When I know that a bear is nearby, I will listen for that bark and then with 10 seconds, I will here from 1 to 3 single barks from different directions, but further away. My local bear expert does not know about this.

24 track likes this.
  19. 24 track

If Harlo smells a bear he's uncontrollable , and goes right after them, He 's a karillion bear dog , so its in his blood , he doesnt chase the deer or horses, or cows but goes nuts at the smell of a bear

IMG_0021.JPG

Obsessed likes this.
  20. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

That is just so cool! Thanks for sharing - I wish I could have seen it!

24 track likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.