2 Point Trem

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by mugen74, Mar 16, 2020.

1. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Meister

I asked this in a different thread, but I thought I’d just move it out here.

Why do people dislike the 2 point trem? From all of my experience, it is a far superior design to the old six screw.

Please discuss.

jh

2. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I agree. I like the 2 point better!

3. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

People dislike everything, especially if it's new or different from the original which they also disliked.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    TIM5150, Axegrinder77, JL_LI and 9 others like this.
  4. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have played some Fender Strats with the 2 point trem and they were ok.
    I have been playing Strats since the 70s and I just like the vintage 6 screw style better, I don't use a floating tremolo set up, I don't "pull up" on the tremolo or do the flutter thing.
    IME with the 6 screw style vintage tremolo bridge, if you have it set flat against the body, the guitar seems to stay in tune better , my 2 cents worth.
    Apparently PRS feels the same way as most of their trem guitars have the 6 screw style tremolo bridges.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

If a feature was not created in the 50s then it must be no good. Too many guitar players believe in magical tone wood (which, c'mon dude, save the rain forests) and thus the mojo of old designs is overly appealing.

Gibson and Fender have a vested interest in promoting that marketing path of upholding the old days and only introducing minor variations.

If the guitar market ever gets turned around like the automobiles, where you need to have the newest gadget in the driveway instead of the slightly rusting relic, then Gibson and Fender will be in big trouble. All the import guitar factories will launch their own brands and the latest stuff on an even competitive field.

6. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Only issue I have is there isn't a bridge cover that I know of yet. Otherwise much better, unless you deck or block your six screw tremolo, buy a Robert Cray or build a hardtail cause finding one from Fender is like looking for chicken teeth.

I just wonder how long those inserts would hold up to a Jeff Neck type player, I'm a bender or wiggler, not much for grabbing that tremolo arm myself. Jazzmaster got it right.

7. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

I like the 2 point trem but it took me awhile after the vintage Strats I'd been playing for years. Same with the fret sizes.

8. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

I'm a new convert as of yesterday.

I've always wanted the vintage style because I liked the look. But recently I started looking at the saddles thinking the heavier solid saddles might be more interesting. So I took the dive and bought one. I'm putting it on a build of mine and I just got it put together yesterday for the first string up. It's great!! It dropped right in and I don't have to take out six impossible screws when it's time to come out.

I think I like the 2 point a lot better and I'm having no tuning issues so far.

Toadtele likes this.
  9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My first electric guitar was a 1982 G&L SC-1 with a two-point trem. It was all I knew for at least a decade. I still like it much better than a typical Strat vibrato.

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  10. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My Strat has a two-point trem that works perfectly fine. I think it's worth noting that a common trick for setting up a six-screw trem (basically, tighten the two outer screws and loosen the inner 4) effectively makes it pivot on the two outer screws. So the modern two-point trem is basically a refinement of what has been found to work.

Also, if you deck or block your Strat's trem, you're kind of not playing the game. I don't mean to imply that you can't use any guitar you please in whatever way you wish, but if you don't use something in the way it was designed to be used, how can you critique its design?

TIM5150 and slauson slim like this.
  11. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Meister

I’ve had both. I currently have two Sterlings and they both have the 2 point. I use it here and there. It’s flat to the body. I don’t pull up on the arm. I’d get a Floyd if that was my deal. Just wondered if I was the only one that preferred the 2 point.

jh

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  12. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

I've had/have both. If setup well, and equally as important, if the nut is cut correctly, they both work well.

Although I will say I simply liked the "feel" of my old G&L Legacy Tribute's 2-pt. trem a tad bit better than my Gotoh vintage 6-pt. trem, for some reason.......

13. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

I think it may come down to whether you like your trem to float and shimmer or prefer it to be more stiff. The former allows for great subtle control of vibrato effects but can get in the way of techniques such as double-stop bends. 2-pivot seems better suited for float/shimmer and vintage style seems better for stiffness. That's my experience based on comparison between a G&L 2 point trem and a vintage-style Fender trem. I both like and dislike each of them but for different reasons.

14. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

^^^^^
    This.

I think they're both cool. Never understood the dislike for 2-pointers.

Omiewise65 likes this.
  15. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  16. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I dislike the 2 point because Rory Gallagher didn't do it that way.

but come to think of it, Rory never used the whammy bar much at all. so my dislike for the 2 point bridge arises from the fact I am a luddite curmudgeon. as far as I know, it works perfectly.

but I just got a new player strat and the 2 point doesn't bother me at all.

17. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

I ran one strat 6-point trem with just the two outer screws for a long time, for this reason.

3-Chord-Genius and Mr. Neutron like this.
  18. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I wasn't aware their was that much dislike..? I've only had one. I think the string spacing being too wide was what I didn't like about that one. I like the import 2.06 spacing. BTW, the knife edge that goes into the two posts on this (well used) one was worn quite a bit.... metal gone/odd shape slot. That surprised me. It seems a bit of a poor design for a 2 point to me... a mating radius would be better with matching radius on the post maybe... ?

19. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I have both and i think the two point tremolo is superior...

20. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I only have a 2 point trem on my 2010 Classic Player Strat and set it up floating , like Frudua on YouTube told me to do . It works nice and smooth and stays in tune pretty well . If I'll ever have the money to buy some kind of vintage Strat , it will be a 6 point

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.