2 pickup voicing options for pinecaster- need an opinion

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by naneek, Oct 13, 2021.

1. naneek

naneek Tele-Meister

I'm revisiting a guitar I built in 2010. It's a tele / pinecaster with a one piece reclaimed pine body from a 110 year old ceiling beam, and a birdseye maple neck. Made by 2 different builders in tennessee.

When I built it, I spent most of my budget on the body and neck.

I have a nice seymour duncan f-spaced 59 blues humbucker in the neck. it reads between 7 and 9 ohms, 7.5 if I remember correctly.

I cheaped out on the bridge pickup and wiring components. So now it is time to replace the wiring and electronic components, and replace the bridge pickup with something more suited to the neck sd 59 humbucker neck pickup.

I have two options on hand-
    1. seymour duncan antiquity 1950 fender champion lap steel
    2. old stock early 90s "fender-lace sensor" red pickup sold as replacement parts for the tele plus

As you can see, these two single coil pickups are as different as could be. That's why I need some input. Which option would you go with?

It will be a very different instrument depending on which of these I choose. I play rock and blues. mostly finger picking, not strumming with a pick. I play a lot in open tunings and play a little slide. I usually play clean or with light natural overdrive / underdrive from tube amp on a variac. I often play 'clean' with lots of reverb and delay. Occasionally fuzz pedals.

I'll be playing this with a peavey delta blues, a 1961 gretsch, a 1970 tel ray solid state, and a 40's lap steel amp.

here are my thoughts on these options-

SD antiquity lap steel:
    I love the clear expressive tone of a lap steel, and have always wanted to get that sound on my electrics. This pickup design is the same as original tele bridge pickups, but with no metal base plate. It should give me a pretty good classic tele sound, but much much hotter. The reading from seymour duncan shows this pickup is 9.14k.

I was thinking the combination of this 1950 replica with the sd 59 humbucker would be a little like Albert Collins' custom telecaster with an early gibson humbucker in the neck and an original bridge pickup. I got a great deal on this pickup.

Fender-Lace Red:
    I figure this will be a good one for rock, and may be a little more versatile than the 1950 replica. I like the idea of pickup with the power of a humbucker and the clarity of a single coil.

I remember when these were introduced they were billed as "higher fidelity" with a "broader frequency range" than other designs. (I'm still not sure exactly how to interpret that.) I love the clean tone that johnny greenwood gets from a telecaster plus so this could be good for my clean finger picking. This pickup reads 15k. I got a great deal on this pickup as well.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.
    if you have any input on wiring (cap and pot values suited to these pickups) I'd love to hear your ideas for that as well because it's not something I know much about.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    BB likes this.
  2. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

Lap steel pickup. By a mile.

3. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Lap steel bridge would fit better with the SD neck imo.

drewg, Timbresmith1, BB and 2 others like this.
  4. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

The Lace may just work well for your needs, BUT...(big BUTT!) that Duncan pickup would be my first choice my a stinking mile! Your mileage however, may differ.

At least you have two pickups to try. You'll never know until you try them both. The first one you try may stay put, (again, big) BUTT it's a thin line between love and hate. One will do one thing better and the other will do the other thing better. What tones(s) that each provide can you live or not live with or without? As America once sang, 'You never know until you try"....

It's a fun journey though and I wish you great tone.

drewg and naneek like this.
  5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I vote for the Antiquity. No contest.

Timbresmith1 and naneek like this.
  6. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

MY first vote is to try both with an open mind, and don't be in a rush to decide. If you can only pick one it's the Antiquity no contest. If it's 42 gauge wire and alnico mags, 9k or so is probly gonna give you "beefy tele" ballpark tone. I have a 10k Cavalier bridge pickup in a tele with the same neck pickup, they are a good match. If the wire is different, who knows!

drewg and naneek like this.
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm going to guess the Antiquity copy of a 1950 pickup was wound with 43awg like an actual 1950 Fender pickup would have been.
    So it's probably just about perfect.
    Keefy even!

drewg, Timbresmith1 and naneek like this.
  8. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

Also: Lace Sensor is fugly.

BB, naneek and Cyberi4n like this.
  9. naneek

naneek Tele-Meister

Thanks for the input everybody. That really helped me make my decision. I will be putting the seymour duncan antiquity 1950 lap steel pickup in the guitar, and hopefully it will stay there.

Thanks @tfarny this was very informative to hear how another hot vintage style tele pickup paired with the same SD 59 in the neck position.

@Timbresmith1 that's true, the lace pickups are pretty ugly. I always liked them on the tele plus, but it would probably look pretty out of place on my clear finish pinecaster.

@telemnemonics true I was thinking Albert Collins, but I had forgotten about keith. that's definitely a good precedent. The specs and materials are the same as the original. There is also an elaborate aging process which is probably a little over the top. They have coated it in some kind of authentic vintage schmutz.

I had an idea for a creative wiring option. Should I go ahead and try it, or stick with the classic tele wiring to evaluate the pickup first?

I'm thinking of using 2 volume pots for blending the pickups instead of a 3 way switch. Or a blend pot, master volume, and master tone. what do you all think of those ideas?

I have an old kay where you can blend 3 pickups with their volume pots and I really enjoy that setup.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Timbresmith1 likes this.
  10. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Friend of Leo's

Seymour Duncan P-Rail?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.