2 part question! Using paint/poly remover on an Ibanez/filling the trem cavity

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by cvdpoel, May 26, 2013.

1. cvdpoel

cvdpoel TDPRI Member

Hey guys! So a long time ago on here I posted about sanding down an Ibanez RG5EX1 I got a long time ago.

[​IMG]

My plan was to sand it down to the original wood and paint a design over top of it, with the wood still showing in some places. Once I got thinking about the basswood and how it may not be just one uniform piece of wood, I've changed my mind.

I just purchased a quart of Formby's Paint & Poly Remover, and plan to use this. I've never used paint and poly remover, so I was wondering if you guys had any advice/tips! I already have a heavy duty pair of gloves haha, I was more interested in the process of putting it on (with a towel, with a brush, etc.)

Also, I plan on filling the trem cavity. I've never done this before and I'm not a handyman (although my roommate is and he is also a guitar player) so we were just wondering if anyone had any tutorials/advice on that!

Thanks in advance, guys!

2. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

If you're not wanting to go down to bare wood, then why bother removing the poly anyway? I assume you are wanting to refinish in a different colour before doing your artwork?? If so, poly (scuff sanded) can potentially make a decent (already nice and flat) primer for whatever colour is going over the top (be that nitro, poly, acrylic etc etc)

I know you've already bought the stuff, but just a thought to maybe save you some rather unpleasant work....

3. cvdpoel

cvdpoel TDPRI Member

I wanted to go down to the bare wood originally and paint a design over it (but so in some spots the wood still showed through) I also wanted to see just exactly how many separate pieces of wood my body is!

4. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Sorry, I thought you meant you had changed your mind about stripping down to wood..... never mind.... Someone else (more knowledgeable than me!) will be along soon to give you answers. :)

5. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

Why not just cover the trem cavity with a plate, or are you looking for the extra weight? Or just fill it badly and still use a trem plate. It is the back of the guitar. I blocked in a control route on a previous project, you'll always be able to see the lines, it's not awful but it's there.
    I'm now doing an Ibanez project much like yours, my neighbor just tossed me the body and neck . I've reshaped the body , got carried away. Not the original neck but it matches the body.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  6. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

Poly can be very tough and be a real mess. It depends somewhat what's under that paint. I've found with old Mexican Squier series strats that one was full of bondo under 2 different factory finish colors. By the time I heat gunned off the poly, the wood pieces (3) separated. I reglued with screws holding 4 corners together.

Now, if I'm unsure what's under the poly, I scuff it, BIN prime it and start painting. I'm doing one right now that way and it looks like my best paint job to date.....and my first shot at metallic.

7. mrfriendly57

mrfriendly57 TDPRI Member

The following link has a tutorial for filling your trem cavity. It's even the same guitar body. Be prepared to do a little routing and a whole lot of sanding and fitting, though if I were you I would sell that body and just buy a hard tail on ye olde auction site. http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tht1.htm

8. ezas

ezas TDPRI Member

If you do use stripper, get better gloves than you think you will need. When they say stripper on disposable gloves, they mean furniture stripper.

But here is my real warning. Your guitar will become as slick as non-stick spray on ice, and you will have monster gloves on. Now try to imagine trying to hold a slippery scraper in one hand and holding your slippery guitar in your other hand. I dropped the body I was stripping, not once but twice. The surface you are stripping on will get likewise slippery. Plan for what you will do with the gunk you scrap off, again while wearing the monster gloves.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.