2 or 3 pickups ....... what's your preference?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by kbold, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I prefer two. I bought a Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster because I liked the color, the noiseless pickups and the locking tuners. I took out the middle pickup. Now it's a Deluxe Schiller Park Telecaster.

2. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

I answered earlier (all 2 pickups). I pretty much exclusively use the bridge for distortion and neck for clean. Anyone else take this approach?

kbold likes this.
  3. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I LOVE P90s and they add some real mojo to guitars that are already great sounding. Actually the neck humbucker is an Antiquity. Not to worry, I have a Warmoth roasted Maple neck on the neckless guitar now.
    IMG_0230-2.JPG

4. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

My thinking, as well! And I love playing a clean amp.

I'm "this close" to building a Tele with only ONE pickup - a Tele bridge pickup (Cavalier Oildale or 51/52) placed smack dab in the middle, right where a Strat middle pickup would be placed. I think it would sound awesome.

Bruxist likes this.
  5. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Even my LP's have coil tapping, and I love my Strats, but there's just "something" simply wonderful about me Tele's. If my house was on fire and I was home alone and I could only carry two guitars to safety: one would be a "Bluesboy" Tele Type from G&L (12 inch radius 22 frets) and the other a vanilla 50's Tele Tex Mex 7.25 inch radius 21 frets - to me they are the very best of the best, I can play anything with those two guitars. Hope my wife doesn't read this. :lol:

6. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

2 pickups
    2 volumes
    2 tones

7. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Meister

After trying a bunch of 2 pups guitars I have to realize that I´m a 3 pickup guy, preferring hss combos. Most versatile guitars for me as I like playing gigs with only one guitar. But each of my 2 hss guitars has the option to combine neck and bridge pups in addition to the 5 way selector.

brookdalebill likes this.
  8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I like two or three. The main thing is that they all kind of match in type/output. For example, I don't like HSS configurations (I miss the Strat bridge pickup terribly, and find the humbucker's tone doesn't provide a good complement to the two Strat singles). But the two different types on a Tele are fine. Even though they are different, they complement each other.

9. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

I like one, two, three or four pickups, no issue.

The only drawback is when the pick meets the pickup while playing...

-tbln

10. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Happy with two or three. But I do enjoy this as a versatile gigging guitar -- plays well too.
    20160807_005708.jpg

11. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

I can get a nice quack from a Strats middle pickup, but my Wayne Kramer Strat has a humbucker in the middle position and it just sounds kinda muddy to my ears by comparison.

12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Probably depends on context.

I don't like fiddling, so it's always 2 for me. Two offers two relatively distinct sounds with FAST switching. You can't roll back volume and tone that fast. Impossible.

For garden variety live work, the distinctions people think exist just really don't. We opened for some touring bands Friday night. I was again struck by how the guitars had multiple pickups, and the guitarists kept switching them and stomping various drive/boost pedals on and off. And NONE of that came through. Except louder and quieter.

I know that view is in conflict with my view that two pickups offer two distinct sounds. But they do if I'm directly in front of my amp. And because we tend not to have our overall level so loud nothing gets through, and to balance volume pretty well. About 20 feet out, I doubt anyone can really tell when I switch, TBH.

black_doug likes this.
  13. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

Well, i like Strat quack, so that needs three, Tele jangle that needs two,
    amd LPJ grunt that only needs one. So I don't really have an opinion about which is best

14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

More pups seem to add more versatility to me. I have always wondered though that if I had only a single P-90 guitar I would become a better guitarist. Phil X did a YT vid of such an explanation that stirs in the back of my brain. I have yet the courage to go there ... so far.

Steve 78 likes this.
  15. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Ever go to reply to a thread and then realize that you already replied to it? Yep. :rolleyes:

Bruxist likes this.
  16. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

Two works best for me, and different sounding ones at that (hence my preference for a PAF in the neck position on my #1 Telecaster)

17. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Two. With a strat, I hit the middle pickup with my pick every. dang. time, so now I just make myself happy with two.
    Although I must say they should be humbuckers of some stripe with four conductors so you can wire it up for what tone you like.

18. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I’m troubled that you stopped at 3

19. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

I prefer 2, but let's not argue.

I have Michael Kelly Telecaster with a phase switch on the tone pot.

2 pickups = 6 different tones, and they're all useable.

MK also has a Tele model with Duncan pickups, and both the volume and tone pots are swiches.

2 pickups = 12 tones with that one.

Mike

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  20. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

The most underappreciated pickup tone ever.

DHart likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.