1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

2 More Teles Done

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Binx, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

So I was able to get around to finishing two builds the past couple of weeks. The tele custom I had started about 2 years ago before getting into our fixer-upper home.
    The multi piece alder Telecaster has a wide range humbucker in the neck, but it is not the larger fender size. It is standard humbucker size with FeCrCo pole piece magnets. I had read Telenator's research saying when they did them they would do around 6,800 winds on each bobbin. With the smaller bobbins I was only able to get 5,800 and stay in a comfortable range. The bridge is wound to about 9,000 with A2 magnets. I used 250k pots for the bridge and 500k for the neck.
    People talk a lot about how unique the 72 CuNiFe wide range pickups were, and I have never played this, but can say that using the FeCrCo pole pieces has made for a really awesome and unique sounding pickup. Even though the guitars have not been set up, I am really digging this one! The clarity and articulation of both pickups is really great!
    DSC_3043.jpg

DSC_3038.jpg

Now the Deluxe. I had seen a picture kind of similar to this guitar and really loved it. I did a dark grain filler, a brown stain and black sunburst. The pickups are firebird pickups, with bar magnets in the bobbins, in full sized humbucker bobbins/covers.I used copper mesh attached to fully open humbucker covers. I have 500k pots and .22 caps, but am hoping that changing those will improve the firebirds (or maybe my rendition is really just aweful haha). The sound seems to go from underwater to 7 different stages of ice-pick in a hurry. Because of the flat angle of Fender type guitars, I had to remove the roller bridge height screws and replace them with threaded poles, where one end had the thread ground off to fit in the roller bridge holes.

DSC_3035.jpg

DSC_3032.jpg

DSC_3034 1.jpg

Thanks!

2. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

Nice work on both!

3. koopus

koopus TDPRI Member

They look great!

4. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

I LIKE the copper mesh ‘buckers... let us know if you get them tamed!!

5. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Very nice!

6. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

7. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Very nice!!

8. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Very cool dude. Nice work on both. I need me some humbucking Teles!

9. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

Thanks. Of my 4 teles 3 have humbuckers and I love them.

The firebird pups were sounding really choked up and thin, so I opened it up and wired the neck direct to the output. Sounded better, still didnt push as much air as regular humbucker, but I guess this is how they are. I have never played actual firebird pickups, and dont know all the intricacies of winding, but with about 5k winds on each bobbin and A5 bars, I would have thought these would have had a lot more output. The magnets are both fully charged, so that shouldn't be an issue either. If anyone familiar with firebirds or winding wants to chime in on why they might be so much less beefy than a humbucker, I would appreciate the education :)
    Now, with wired straight to the jack being the most full sound I will get from them, would anyone have suggestions on pot and cap combos for the least output loss and a decent range of roll off on the tone?
    Thanks!

Macrogats likes this.
  10. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

Great work!

11. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

So I went back and it turns out that somehow I wired the bobbin coils out of phase... I usually wind pickups after the kids have gone to bed, so will blame it on the late hour... fixed that and they sound great now.
    They are a bit brighter and have a more trebely bite than standard humbuckers, and aren't quite as clear as the wide range. My wife says they sound the same...

nnieman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.