2 Modelers, Now What

burtf51

Tele-Afflicted
Back when they first came out I bought a Katana MK1 100w just to have around the house. I played through it very seldom the first year I had it. Probably not more than 5or 6 hours total. And then a couple years ago and I have no idea why I bought a Blues Cube Hot and I probably haven't played through it over 3or4 hours total. I stopped playing out probably 7 or 8 years ago.

After 40-50 years on and off 3-6 nites a week juke jointing and honky tonkin I've long had my fill of the bar scene , my old schools genre likes were dead and buried a long time ago in my area. I play nothing but acoustic and my archtop unplugged around the house nowadays. So now I have these 2 practically amps just sitting here gathering dust...I've gotten a lot better but have stupidly bought some things I just thought I wanted/needed, cept now I have to beat back my acoustic, mandolin wants

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah, you don't want to have your room taken over by amps. They breed like bunnies...

lotsaamps.jpg

(That's only about 1/3 of the ones I have. Spay or neuter your amps!)

burtf51

Tele-Afflicted
had my computer open and your message just dinged lol... no one locally to sell to and don't know that I could even get much at all + shipping trying to sell online. Since I now just play at home and very seldom electrify (mostly acoustic) I had entertained trying the Quilter SB US as I think I could also use it through my AI if I wanted to record anything on my macbook. I dunno I'm no tech for sure...

Last edited:

hdvades

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Hey that's an idea but they'd need to throw in a little something else
Pretty sure you would get some decent credit. Nothing mind blowing, but I've done good in the past. They always do me good if I'm wanting something as part of the exchange. Maybe take the Spire Studio Recorder too. Tell them you're interested in a SB US and a BlockDock 10TC. Good luck.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
Hey that's an idea but they'd need to throw in a little something else since the Quilter is around $275, seems like the Blues Cube was around 5-600. I have a Spire Studio recorder I probably haven't used twice , omg the things I've done, those days are over...
To get an idea of what your gear will fetch at GC, go to Ebay or Reverb and check the sold listing for that piece of gear. Cut that price in 1/2. Usually, you'll get about 60%, but go with 50% just in case. Selling gear via ebay, reverb, craigslist, etc. is a PITA when compared to dumping it at GC, but you'll get much less cash. There is a small chance you will get 10% off of new gear when GC buys your old gear.
Music Go Round is another place that purchases used gear, if you have one near you.

burtf51

Tele-Afflicted
To get an idea of what your gear will fetch at GC, go to Ebay or Reverb and check the sold listing for that piece of gear. Cut that price in 1/2. Usually, you'll get about 60%, but go with 50% just in case. Selling gear via ebay, reverb, craigslist, etc. is a PITA when compared to dumping it at GC, but you'll get much less cash. There is a small chance you will get 10% off of new gear when GC buys your old gear.
Music Go Round is another place that purchases used gear, if you have one near you.
Looks like $400 for all three BC Hot, Spire Studio, KatanaK1 100W well that sucks lol

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
I understand the sticker shock. I try to be pragmatic. I used to flip gear hoping to at least break even. Eventually, I went the other way. If I don't care for gear that I own and want something else, I go for it. I don't care if I'm losing my initial investment, it is a hobby after all.

burtf51

Tele-Afflicted
I understand the sticker shock. I try to be pragmatic. I used to flip gear hoping to at least break even. Eventually, I went the other way. If I don't care for gear that I own and want something else, I go for it. I don't care if I'm losing my initial investment, it is a hobby after all.
I hear ya and understand. I've pretty much stopped buying at this point in my life 71 yr old. I recently put up a Tele Performer with just a nibble on it that I bought new and have never played.

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire
The Mk1 is a great amp, it has a smaller magnet 12" speaker that colors the tone different from my Mk2 100w. It's great for electric blues and ambient sounds, it's not really a heavy metal amp, it can get nasty but more like AC/DC. But it shines in blues tones like Peter Green, the amp can cop Oh Well and Jumping At Shadows tone. Never have I had an amp that could cop that tone. And then there's the SRV tones that you can dial in and if you have the chops this will provide great tone. On and on, Clapton with Cream live, the Marshall thing is a tone that I haven't dialed in, it would need deep editing, something I don't do enough of. Seriously, the tones I get from the factory set front panel gives me so much that I've settled down and just play.
I don't even use the patch save, it's all intuitive hands on in the moment. That's one of my joys is dialing in tone hands on, but I've got a few settings memorized so I don't screw up, and often I just stick with one or two tones, no more. This goes true for the Cube.

To each their own but I'd sell the Cube, it's a tone thing.

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
keep one, the most versatile, for the moment, that will come, you have new ideas and want to travel new roads.