1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

2 lunchbox heads into a 1x12/2x12?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by LuvMeATele, Mar 15, 2017.

1. LuvMeATele

LuvMeATele TDPRI Member

Hey everyone,

I am looking for a little help here. I am switching up my rig a little bit, I plan to buy a Vox AC4 head and I want to know if I can run that and my Dark Terror into the same cab and just use an isolated A/B switch to switch between them. Is this possible? My cab is 60w, the Vox is 4 watts (duh) and the DT is 15 watts (though I run it at 7). Is this possible or will I blow up my heads/speaker? Thanks!

2. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

It may be possible with a custom isolation transformer, but I don't think an ABY box made to work with instrument level signals is going to work to switch between two separate heads and one speaker cabinet.

If only because the output transformer(s) and speaker need to be connected whenever the amp is on. So for this hypothetical scenario to work, the AB switcher would be changing which amp sees the speaker and which one sees a dummy load. If your imagined use case is to be able to have both amps running and be able to switch between them at the click of a button.

I know it's another step, but I like the process of plugging my amp into a speaker cab, then plugging the amp into the wall, then powering the amp on.

3. LuvMeATele

LuvMeATele TDPRI Member

I see. Would it work if the A/B was determining which amp was actually getting an instrument signal? As in:

Tele > Volume > A/B --> Amp 1 OR Amp 2 --> 1x12

Does that make sense? It made sense to me when I made it lol

4. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

No, because the amp's OT you're not using still needs to "see" that speaker load. What you're proposing would have both amp's output transformers connected to the same speaker. To the best of my understanding, tube amps don't like anything other than speakers of the correct impedance connected to their speaker outputs.

One "easy" (in the sense that you only have to buy something that's already produced for sale) solution would be to plug both amps into a 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet wired for stereo.

mRtINY likes this.
  5. LuvMeATele

LuvMeATele TDPRI Member

Thank you very much for clarifying that for me. I'm glad I asked before I blew up my amps lol.

6. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Radial Headbone does what you want but it's pretty expensive.

7. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Ah, I looked at the Lehle website and didn't see anything. Should have checked Radial. If space is at a premium, I could see that Headbone making sense. I'd personally prefer another speaker & cabinet because of the tonal differences between speakers and cabinet designs. Also because another cabinet introduces the "stereo amp" option, which I've gotten really into of late.

8. LuvMeATele

LuvMeATele TDPRI Member

Yeah I looked into the headbone but it's almost as much as the amp... Looks like I'm stuck between the Headbone and a 2x12... Space is very limited, I have my amp offstage in a little closet with a couple of mics on it.

9. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Marshall makes a vertical 2x12 that would be easy to wire with one amp to each speaker. Or I'm sure any of the custom cabinet builders would be happy to make you something like that. But since it sounds like moving air isn't really what you're after, have you considered any of the DI boxes instead of miking your amp in a closet?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.