2 lb 7 oz body = neck heavy?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by brads, Jun 1, 2010.

1. brads

brads TDPRI Member

Just received a chambered (no F-hole) Tele body that weighs 2 pounds 7 ounces unfinished.

It feels almost weightless, and I'm worried it will make a neck-heavy guitar.

It will have 2 humbuckers, standard Tele hardware, shorty 3-saddle ashtray bridge, and a typical (medium C) maple neck with rosewood board. Kluson-style tuners.

I don't want to sink money into this (finishing, etc) if it's going to be neck heavy.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Are you going to use vintage tuners, or a set of locking tuners ?
    Sperzel lockers are pretty heavy as are square box ping as compared to all the kluson and kluson clone tuners.

3. '56Teleman

'56Teleman Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't worry about it, therefore, if you are worried about it pm me with a price.:)

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You could always add weights to the cavities if it were neck heavy. The Eastman El Rey can be a little neck heavy, and J Hale Guitars does just that to balance them better.

5. robt57

Example: One piney I did is 5.8 lb total weight. Under 3 lb body, and med V neck with WD Klusons and no tilt issue.

6. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'd tie helium balloons to the headstock... but...

That's just me...

Jim

7. robt57

How much does vintage helium cost, and is it as hard to get as R12 freon ??

8. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

One word answer:

Yes.

Detailed answer:

My MIJ 69 Thinlinw was neck-heavy. It's something I expect with just about any Thinline...

9. brads

brads TDPRI Member

Hmmm, a mixed bag of responses. I'm shocked.

Too expensive to wing it.....I'll wait and see if more weigh in.

10. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I know you guys are going to think I'm crazy for what I'm about to say but, here it goes.

Tele Thinlines, or and heavily chambered body for that matter will be more neck heavy than a solid body of the same weight.

The reason for this is because the majority of the wood gets remove from the lower, larger end of the body pushing the weight bias more towards the neck than a solid body of the same exact weight.

I have a Tele Thinline with a body weighing nearly 5 lbs and it's almost neck heavy!

Personally I have never understood the fascination with ultra light bodies. A few do sound stellar but the majority of the ones I've played were awkward to hold and while they sounded good on a recording, just didn't cut it for me in a live band situation.

11. K-Line

K-Line Tele-Holic Vendor Member

You should be ok. Total weight would be about 5-9 to 5-11 with hums. I have doen them this light before with no neck heavy-ness. I play a 6lbs 10OZ J-Bass and it borders neck heavy but a nice strap makes up for it. No guarantees though. Sell it to Greg, I can tell he is chomping at the bit for it.

12. robt57

I made two thinline bodies so far, not finished as of this writing.

My Templates I got From Ron 6-7 years ago and are the thinline set he makes.

The template has a square below the bridge area between the side chambers. On both I decided that wood need to stay there. But I guess you could route it and drill a hole through the strap peg and fill it with mercury for ballast if needed, ;)

Or that depleted ukrainian stuff...

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Contact the above guy and get him to get you a good price on these "Stealth" tuners from Gotoh.

They weigh half of what Gotoh splits weigh or around 2.5-3 ounces per set.
    Nobody has ordered a set yet and we wanna hear about 'em. :twisted:

This could save the guitar. Keep the weight on, on anything from the bridge humbucker down and weight off from the neck humbucker up.

14. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I have wondered this before . If you were to move the rear strap button upwards from the typical location ( center line ) , wouldn't this move the center of gravity somewhat lower and slightly rearward from normal ? Could this help to counter the neck heavy thing ?

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think it challenged the strap button and guitars fell. Now that we have a detent mechanism on these straplocks, so I would definitely give rotating the button locations some consideration. Move the button on the bottom around to the left and towards the player's body and maybe also move the upper button towards the neck or even to the neck plate.

16. cmatthes

cmatthes Tele-Meister

If you don't take BB's idea, I've found that simply swapping out the tuner buttons to pearloid, ebony or some other lighter weight material eliminates any headstock dive instantly. I swapped the tuner buttons on a 3-hole Hamer DuoTone from the '90s and the whole instrument changed - for the better (and it was great before). Even with less mass at the headstock (the removal of about 2 lbs of chromed metal!), the whole thing vibrated like a mutha.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.