2 Humbucker Wiring Question

micpoc

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Hey all. I have a guitar with two humbuckers that has a separate volume for each pickup and a master tone. I do not know if this is standard–it’s been a LONG time since I had such an arrangement on a guitar–but in the middle/both-pickups-on switch position, turning either volume down to zero kills ALL the volume. Is there a way to rewire it so that rolling down one pickup only rolls of THAT pickup, so I can blend the two however I want?

Zepfan

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
1657049499108.png

BB

Poster Extraordinaire
Zepfan nailed it! I've used Jazz Bass wiring on two builds over the years and it works beautifully. Good luck

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
When you think about it, having fully independent volumes sort of eliminates the need for the switch, doesn't it? Although I'm not clear if the overall circuit still has both pups in parallel even with one volume all the way down, which would make a difference.

Maybe this?

micpoc

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
When you think about it, having fully independent volumes sort of eliminates the need for the switch, doesn't it? Although I'm not clear if the overall circuit still has both pups in parallel even with one volume all the way down, which would make a difference.

Maybe this?

It does, but it also eliminates the ability to switch quickly between three sounds. It may be that what I'd like to do is not possible with passive circuitry: it's one or the other. Maybe some blend pot arrangement would work.

I'll check out that link; thanks.

Swirling Snow

Tele-Meister
Unfortunately, all the schemes to give 'independent' volume controls effectively turn the volume controls into tone controls, so you lose highs and dynamics as you turn down.

I use a blend control with a normal volume and tone following it.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Is your blend control a dual g
Unfortunately, all the schemes to give 'independent' volume controls effectively turn the volume controls into tone controls, so you lose highs and dynamics as you turn down.

I use a blend control with a normal volume and tone following

Is your blend control a dual ganged pot on a common shaft, or just a regular pot with a pickup “hot” to each outside lug and the center being the blended signal output?

I tried the latter approach on my two-pickup Dean bass when I rewired it as a passive instrument, just using stuff from my junk box, and it works well...but I’m not sure how well I’d like it for guitar. I tend to like that bass set one way: 50/50 neck and bridge, center detent. So I don’t know how accessible subtle shadings of different blends would be, wired that way

Swirling Snow

Tele-Meister
I use one of the dual ganged pots. I leave the ground floating, so it doesn't add as much load to the pickups. This does mean I never get a "full on" sound, but I haven't met an amp in the last 40 years that really needed it.

The center is humbucking, of course, and a bit to either side is that "unbalanced coil" sound PAFs were famous for. Of course, the full bridge with just a touch of the neck for bass sounds great, as does adding a bit of the bridge's overtone to the neck sounds.

So, you have seven distinct tones from the ganged pot, and then you have your volume and tone control and the usual things they do.

Zepfan

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Nice. Isn't that a standard 2 pickup / 3-position / VVT wiring? If so, I wonder if there is something odd with mine...
After looking at the above diagram, switch the Pickup wire and Switch wire on the Volume pots. Pickup lead should go to center lug of volume and outer lug to switch. That will give you independent volume control.