2 hours or 4 hours,

Matt Sarad

Tele-Afflicted
We are a blues band with 40 songs. 2 hour gigs work for us. Bars want 4 hours and classic rock for dancing. Our singer joined a classic rock band while we took a break to find a better bassist.
We found one, and the singer came to help us get him up to speed.
He told us that they have 3 drummers to choose from, multiple guitarists, and an excellent 75 year old bassist who gets them 4 hour gigs paying $375.
I had to ask: Mustang Sally?
Absolutely.
What are you guys up to in terms of hours?

MTPoteet

Tele-Holic
We USED to do five hours a night, up to four nights a week.

We routinely did more than 2 hours in our first set, till some one had to go to the bathroom. If you did that you could take a little longer breaks and no one seemed to mind. It also seemed to make the night go quicker.

Of course, there were venues that insisted on a 45 minute set and a 15 minute break. How boring that was.

My last gigs were in an original band, we would only do 45 minutes then go home. That suited me just fine. That is all I would do now, one set.

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
Most gigs here are 3 hours. The pay depends on the venue and what kind of draw/following the band/performer has
Solo acts get between $150.00-$200.00
Duets in the $200.00-$250.00 range

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
Prepandemic, in bars or restaurants, three hours was the norm. During and postpandemic, I'm playing senior living centers exclusively, and one-hour gigs are the vast norm, with the occasional two-hour thrown in. I have the material to play six hours or more with no repeats, but my back says, "No way!" Pay is $150/hr, $275/2hrs, all in the afternoon or early evening. The other perk is that Mama likes me home at night.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
We are a blues band with 40 songs. 2 hour gigs work for us. Bars want 4 hours and classic rock for dancing. Our singer joined a classic rock band while we took a break to find a better bassist.
He told us that they have 3 drummers to choose from, multiple guitarists, and an excellent 75 year old bassist who gets them 4 hour gigs paying $375.
Absolutely.
I'm trying to work up a solo guitar/vocal thing. I'm not sure how well my voice would hold up to more than two hours straight, even with a short break in the middle.
MAN!.....I used to sing lead on almost every song, (and harmony on the others) for four+ hours. I think those days are gone. :(

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Haven't played a 4 hour gig in years.
Occasionally 3 hours now , but more often 2-2.5 hours.
No more starting at 9pm either. Most start at 7-7:30.
I an't doin no more 4 hour gigs anyway.... and certainly not at $375

FaithNicole

Tele-Meister
we only have one venue at 4hr/4 sets. All the others are 3hr/3 sets. We time the breaks to exactly exactly on the hour of the last set - well, close. Set 2 is usually longer than the other two as it is generally the more dance active set.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Our band has a few regular 4-hour venues- but it's just too long a gig for me anymore- aging/bad back, and I even play and sing sitting down!
3 hours are most, and I go for a long first set ( 1 hour+) so the other two sets can be shorter...

We've been spoiled by a regular (weekly) outdoor Cafe, 2 hour gig, that pays really well and free food. And we play Blues, R&R, and Dead in the street.
My perfect gig, finally ( at 63!)

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
We’ve played up to four hours, with a few breaks: but we’ve done everything from a 15-minute acoustic set for turning on the Christmas lights to a 30-minute slot to 2x 45-minute sets through to the full 4 hours over 5 sets. Whatever the bosses want!!

Spooky88

Tele-Meister
2 hours 450$.. usually about 100$- 150$ in tips. Depends on which band I’m playing with generally determines tip amount. Classic rock group and ones I sing more lead vocals/sound man always seem to pull better tips.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
Absolutely.
Around here, 4 Hours Max.
Learn some Hippy Rawk, take it to the Bank.