2 Great Vocalists vs. 1 Vocalist & a Tasty Lead Guitarist

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Roger Tessier, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Roger Tessier

Roger Tessier Tele-Meister

I have an opportunity to set up a new band that will either consits of two (2) really, really good lead vocalists or one (1) good lead vocalist and a non-singing lead guitarist that is really, really good.

I like the two vocalist setup because the Bassist also sings some lead and Back Up and the idea of three-part harmonies excites my Tele. Can you say CSN&Y?

However, that puts me in the Lead guitar position and my skills are passable (eg: I can nail the lead to SOMETHING by The Beatles but I need a lot of polish to get SUNSHINE OF YOUR LOVE down pat).

I really want to work with another strong singer but don't want the musical unit to be less than stellar also.

Woodshed time?

2. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

Bring em both by on different nights for "auditions." Then see which band configuration you like best.

3. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

I play in a band with a great singer and three pretty darn good singers, and one really great guitarist. Folks like the hot guitar playing, but they go totally crazy for the singer. It's hard for us instrumentalists to admit this, but MOST folks really don't care, as long as we cover the parts. It's ALL about the singer...

Tim

4. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

There are always more gigs for the band that sings well.
    The General (paying) public wants to hear a good vocalist.

Having two good vocalists can open a lot of doors.

The more you play out, all the better for your Lead chops.

5. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

"they go totally crazy for the singer"

Tim nails it. They also go for the drummer but it's usually only if they like dumb, homeless, unreliable guys.

6. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

Singers first, absolutely. Only guitar players really care about guitar players :lol:

Oh, and I should think "Something" is much more challenging to play right than "Sunshine Of Your Love" ...

7. Roger Tessier

Roger Tessier Tele-Meister

Maybe I'm just underestimating my playing skills ~ but since I got my Tele , it's improved!

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 on what Tim said. Great vocals are magic. Especially great harmonies.

9. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

Dat troo,you can obsess about tone and technique 'til the end of time,only other guitar players listen and none of them dance or ask you for a goodnight kiss.

Thank god. :lol:

10. Alex M

Alex M Tele-Meister

+1 again!

11. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

Great vocals are what separates the top-tier bands from the average ones.

12. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Sunshine of Your Love - Nail the first part of the solo, stay melodic through the rest, finish with something that leads back in to the melody line.
    People will dig it.

Sounds like the kind of gig you could make leave your own personal, musical signature on.

13. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Certainly having more than one vocalist is ideal...but there are other factors to consider as well. Whatever combo gives off the best vibes, is probably the answer ;)

14. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

I'm in a band with 4 really good vocalists, myself included. I consider myself a fairly good lead player but nothing great. Like someone said earlier, I start the solos off like the original and then go off on my own until I fold back into the tune. Sounds really good but I'll tell you that when we are doing some Eagles tunes with 4 part harmonies, I can play a broomstick and no one would even notice. We also have horns in the band allowing us to cover Chicago and old R&B tunes. Combine the horns and harmonies, the people don't even hear the guitar or keyboard solos. It blows me away sometimes.

15. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

:D Damn brother, you crack me up more every day!
    And yes ... singers are where it's at. This coming from a non-singing guitar player.

16. Old Cane

Yeah, but you know it's true. Some chicks dig that helpless thing.

17. Chele

Chele TDPRI Member

Agreed, I'm front man in a reggae band (that's right) and our original line-up was 5 of us, just me on vocals. It was pretty good. We added a female vocalist (because it's reggae) and then we were really good. Our original drummer took some time off and our new guy sings as well. Harmonies are awesome, well done three-part harmonies are amazing and not too common in the bar scene these days I think.

Guitar shredders are great to have, they can lengthen a song when it needs to be lengthened which is crucial for keeping people on the floor, but I also think they're a dime a dozen, at least in my town. Every guitar player wants to be a lead guitar player these days (although I'm quite happy with rhythm) so they are not terribly hard to find. Getting someone who not only can sing but can harmonize is a much trickier find, and much more beneficial in my opinion. But then again, it may depend on the genre

18. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

Go for the singers.

19. bargoedboy

bargoedboy Tele-Afflicted

we`ve gone from 1 singer and average guitarist (me) to 3 lead singers and a really good player as well as me, had to go up to a 5pc to do it but what the hell, the song is more important than the solo !

20. Old Cane

Spoken like a true singer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.