2 cable 4 cable pedal board

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by American_George, Jan 22, 2020.

1. American_George

American_George TDPRI Member

Hello everyone and greetings from Germany,
    At the momment my pedal board is chained for a single channel amp with no fx insert. Typical Wah, compressor, dirt, more dirt, reverb, delay, tremelo. It works just fine as is.
    What I'm looking for is to use the reverb, delay, tremelo in a 4 cable configuration with my other amp (not together with the single channel amp) which is 3 channel and I'd like to use beside the clean also the drive channels as well, makes sense right? I could just repatch, out drive amp in, send reverb in tremelo fx return in, finished. And do it every time I change amps.
    But I would like something elegant, who doesn't?
    I'm thinking some kind of patch box. Last distortion pedal to amp, amp fx send to reverb in to delay and lastly tremelo out to fx return. And that switchable back to ordinary daisy chain. I know I have to disconnect send /return on the amp but it be nice and elegant not having to repatch the pedals every time I switch amps. I've looked around but haven't found (u2) what I'm looking for! Soldering and reading a schematic is no problem.
    Any thoughts on this? P. S. Not too much room left on the pedal board.

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I have this setup..

My bottom row pf pedals are all pre the amp pedals (compressor, dirt, od, trem)

My top row are time based (delay, chorus, reverb phaser) and go either at end of the chain from thr bottom row of into the fx loop with 4 wire method.

There is a patch cable from the output of the bottom row to the input of the top row. This is fixed on the pedalboard so I don’t lose it.

Its a moments task to unplug the patch cable for 4 wire with an fx loop or repatch it back for single chain.

if you can lay it out physically so that the patch cable can be easily accessed, its really simple. Just two jack plugs.

3. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I do something similar to @Guitarteach. I have my pedalboard laid out right-to-left as if every thing would go in series - and I can easily wire it that way with one cable swap if I had to use an amp with no loop. Here’s the pedal order:

Tuner -> Tremelo -> Phaser -> EQ pedal (boost) -> Noise gate -> Reverb (light spring - always on) -> Volume pedal -> Ambient Delay/Reverb -> Moderate/Tap Delay Reverb.

But generally I use my amp with a loop and the four cable method. I simply remove the patch between the EQ and the noise gate and run 10ft angle jack cables back to the amp for the appropriate connections. If the pedals are laid out well, I don’t see how this could be simplified with a patch bay of sorts.

One thing you will want to make sure is that the pedal driving the end of the pre-amp section contains an always-on buffer and, if the FX loop is not sufficiently buffered, other buffered pedals on the board are connected to the longer cables running to the effects loop send and return. I have buffers in all three spots so I can run longer cables without loss, if need be.

4. GoldieTop

GoldieTop TDPRI Member

The easiest solution is to buy a junction box. When you're not using the effects loop, just throw a short cable between the send and return.

5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I run a aby pedal and a ab pedal on my small boards to route different signals for different amps or using fx loops etc. I just have to reconfigure verb and delay depending on what I want to do. I also mounted a ab pedal on one board so I can run direct to pa through a sansamp- mooer radar or straight to amp or both.
    Complicated large boards do my head in so I try to keep things simple.

20191221_032212.jpg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    mkdaws32 likes this.
  6. mkdaws32

Your “simple” makes my head spin! ;)

Chunkocaster likes this.
  7. Chunkocaster

That large pedal is 3 or 4 anolog pedals in one enclosure, one input one out, into the reverb trem pedal, looper and out through the ab to radar, amp or both. basically 3 pedals with a cordless power supply.
    Guitar in to board via wireless. I run one cable to amp or pa and that's it.
    It's less time to setup than running one tubescreamer pedal or a tuner to an amp.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  8. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Yah you want some kind of patch bay that has 4 instrument jacks and you use one for guitar->pedalboard, one for pedalboard -> amp input, one for amp FX send -> pedal board, one for pedal board -> amp FX return.

Then you jumper the two FX patch plugs when you use the board with a non-loop equipped amp.

I should get one of these.. my amp has an FX loop so I have a 4-cable snake that I made. It has input, FX Send, FX Return, and Footswitch. But it's a mess cause the 4 wires go to 4 different pedals and I'd need about a 3-foot cable to jumper the board for an amp without an FX loop.

But since I don't really switch amps I haven't bothered.

Just looking around it looks like a lot of the commercial patch bays have extra unnecessary stuff like MIDI, USB, XLR in/out, Built in DI boxes, built in Cab-Sims, etc.. so maybe worth building your own if you can. The hardest part would be the enclosure.

9. mkdaws32

@Chunkocaster Ah! Gotcha - once you’ve got it all wired up, it’s simple to setup and use.

That’s the Ritchie Kotzen FlyRig, isn’t it. How do you like it? I want to try it, but the local store hasn’t gotten one yet. You basically have your preamp on your pedalboard - I used to do that. Now I get all my drive from the pre-amp of my tube amp, so I gotta used the 4 cable method to ensure my post-drive effects are clean.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  10. Chunkocaster

Yes it's the first version of the RK flyrig. There is a newer one out with fuzz, vibe and tuner, compressor as well as the drives and delay, boost.
    I like it, I mostly use the boost and the sansamp with a bit of delay. The omg drive is pretty hot, sounds best with the drive set low imo. I prefer the overdrive from the sansamp Blond and using the boost for lead depending on what song. You basically have four or five flavours of drive when combined with the OMG and boost and however you set your amp. I can get from blues to classic rock from the sansamp to hard rock/ metal with the OMG or run them all.

11. mkdaws32

@Chunkocaster - I love how it’s possible to get a great tone in so many different ways. Right now I have 6 levels of drive between 2 amp channels, a boost pedal and the amp’s own boost. I never play completely clean but I can go from just barely breaking up to screaming solo tones that sustain for hours ;)

Chunkocaster likes this.
  12. American_George

American_George TDPRI Member

Yes, yes! That sounds good and I think it will work just fine. Thanks. Sometimes the easiest is the elagant solution.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.