2|5 magnets (half of each) pickups?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by jim777, May 6, 2021.

1. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

Hey guys and gals,

Anyone have any familiarity with these? A friend of mine has some great sounding Tone Hatch pickups in his Tele, and I was thinking of getting a set of theirs for my Strat to replace the Gen3 Fender noiseless pickups. The website says, "The 2|5 Union set uses alnico 2 on the trebles, and alnico 5 on the bass side." It sounds interesting, and for low priced pickups I suppose it's worth just giving them a shot regardless, but I was wondering if anyone had tried something similar before and what your thoughts were.

This is the link: https://www.tonehatch.com/collections/stratocaster-pickups/products/2-5-union-s

thanks in advance!
    jim

2. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Job of magnets in passive pickups is to magnetize the strings, that's it. There is no inherent "tone" in magnets, but there is a direct effect on output, and that output can indirectly affect tone. A2 magnets are about half the Gauss rate (magnetism strength) of A5 magnets. The effect of disparate magnets affecting both output and tone within a single transducer is an experiment of sorts, where during the excursion (vibration) of all 6 strings, 3 will be received differently by the coil wire.

jim777 likes this.
  3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I've seen no posts from anyone who uses these. The 2/5 combination isn't the common one. It's typically 3/5, but no doubt that either combination made the same way by the same maker could be dialed in to sound about the same.

I've briefly played a set of 3/5 Strat pickups and didn't think they did anything that I couldn't do by lowering the low E end of the pickup.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant the high E end of the pickup.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    Rob DiStefano and jim777 like this.
  4. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

FWIW, you can purchase just magnets and swap them in many pickups. You could experiment with what you have.

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Switching magnets can be easy for some pickups, but you can destroy some pickups trying to switch the magnets(namely Fender pickups that don't use full plastic bobbins).
    Seymour Duncan made their 5/2 series pickups for Tele and Strat, but I don't think they've been big sellers for any of the winders.
    You can always adjust the treble side of the pickups by lowering them to get a similar effect.

6. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the replies guys. Like I said I'm not a big fan of the noiseless pickups and was curious about these dual magnet replacements. I'm still looking.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.