2/3 confused about Strat pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Dan German, May 6, 2021.

1. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Strat-sized, but not necessarily Strat sound. It’s a Mustang-ish guitar, but I don’t know what a “Mustang” sound is, so I can’t say if I want that. It’s my only vibrato-equipped guitar, so something more surf-y. I suppose low output, rather than something hot? My original plan was lipsticks, but the only affordable ones in Strat size (GFS) are hotter than real lipsticks, so I don’t know. This would be easier if I hated the stock pickups, but they’re not that bad. I just don’t like the bridge on its own (and I’m a mostly bridge pickup guy.) I don’t think staggered poles are right for a fairly flat radius. At a guess I would say 12”, but I don’t have gauges.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  2. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

Something surfy...

Is this thing also Mustang scale (on the shorter, and therefore darker side)?

I’ve given up on GFS pickups, but if they’ve worked for you in the past you might find something that’ll do the trick — OR, (ok, hear me out for a second) you could try a DiMarzio FS-1 in the bridge.

I recently put one in a hardtail Strat (my only Strat, since I generally hate them) and was so pleasantly surprised that I put their Tele version in my #1 Tele.

Bold Fendery sounds. Which is ironic because the only reason I tried it at all was because it was fundamental to the Ramones sound (particularly on a shorter scale, if I recall).

3. Dan German

Interesting. I didn’t really intend for this to be yet another “what pickups should I buy” thread, but you know how the TDPRI rolls. :D

Yes, it’s a 24” scale. GFS pickups have worked for me, but their shipping (I’m in Canada) makes them less of a bargain than they look. I’m leaning towards a ‘50s type Strat pickup, but it’s a secondary guitar, so I might change my mind and go another direction…

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  4. chucker

chucker Tele-Meister

you are making sense there.

Danjabellza likes this.
  5. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

Can you share a pic of this guitar? Might help us a tad.

6. Dan German

Just a Mustang(ish).

774C79DA-2E58-4632-9DBA-3FD1A328E252.jpeg

7. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yes - go with flat pole pieces - no stagger - for that radius. Bootstrap recommends flat for anything higher than a 9” radius, and I would agree based on my experience.

My ‘67 Mustang (was my Dad’s - my brother actually has it at the moment) sounds pretty Stratty with just the neck pickup or just the bridge pickup. Combined, it’s a bit different - not Tele-ish or Strattish really.

Bootstrap likes this.
  8. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Afflicted

I put a Bill Lawrence Wilde L280s in the neck and a L290S in the bridge kept the two 3-way switches. It's the ginchiest hoodad.

NoTeleBob and Dan German like this.
  9. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

Thanks, that gives us a clear picture of what you’re working with. Single coil replacements are easy to get. Next question is the size of the footprint of the current pickups and the rout below. Are these a standard size Tele-ish pickups or otherwise.

On one of my T style builds I installed a Lollar Royal T in the neck position. The pickup is wound like a Strat but the footprint is standard Tele, which has a smaller footprint. Great pickup I might add. Good luck in your journey.

10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Is that a single, hum-cancelling pickup? :eek: Bill Lawrence produced a simpler version. :D

telemnemonics likes this.
  11. RhinoV

RhinoV TDPRI Member

Bridge and middle. Use the Reverse wound middle for the neck. You will be getting the hum cancelation in the setting which combines the two, and beyond that, choose a set of pickups that are wound in the higher measured range..ie 7.2K for the bridge, 6.8 neck. In any case, shoot for a difference of .4 to .7 between the two regardless of their measured resistance.

12. franblanc

franblanc TDPRI Member

It's best to place pick ups with opposite pole pieces together. Get a small magnet and go along one of the guitar strings. If the pole piece is attracted to the magnet on one pick up then make sure it is repelled by the pole piece on the adjacent pickup. This is how they are supposed to work. Here is a video..

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

It's actually a hum enhancing pickup of my own design!

You never heard such hum!

NoTeleBob and archetype like this.
  14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Nice design. Hum like that needs a Showman with 15" speakers!

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. Surf Green

Surf Green TDPRI Member

Never liked the bridge pickup on a Strat (I'm an HSS sort of person). Neck & middle with phase reversal.

16. skradlee

skradlee Tele-Meister

I many cases, the winding themselves are (ideally) the same with B,M,and N strat pickups, but the middle will often be RWRP (this is good if you want hum cancelling in the middle position) and the pole spacing will be wider on a bridge pickup cause the strings are further apart as you get closer to the bridge.

17. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I installed 2/3rds of a set of Lawrence noiseless in my HB Prinz copy. I chose the bridge and middle so I could elsewhere pickup elsewehere. My Squier '51?

18. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

The bridge pickup should have a little more output than the neck pickup because the string vibrates wider and the sound is louder as you get closer to the neck and further from the bridge. Also I would get one of the 2 pickups (usually the neck pickup) to be "reverse polarity, reverse wound" (RWRP) for hum cancelling with both pickups on. Anything else is a matter of taste. If unsure what you want and there are too many choices, go with something traditional and middle of the road from a bigger company like Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    northernguitar and mkdaws32 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.