2/3 confused about Strat pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Dan German, May 6, 2021.

1. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

What do I win if I said yes to all of the above? Probably admit that there will be trouble in the future, right? :p

telemnemonics and Dan German like this.
  2. 11 Gauge

Possibly another way to make this determination would be to take a stock Strat and replace the 5-way switch with something that allows for neck & bridge pickups in parallel, in addition to what the 5-way gives. You could actually just replace one of the three pots with one that has a SPST switch, and just wire it to either the bridge or neck pickup. If the neck & bridge pickups in parallel sounds good, you have your answer. And unless you need to have hum-canceling with those two in parallel, you're effectively done.

I guess I'm also assuming that some kind of off-the-shelf 3 pickup set will be utilized, with one of the three simply not end up being used. That ultimately probably would make the most sense to me, because you're probably not going to save much money by simply purchasing one less Strat pickup.

Well, and this sounds like the kind of project/experiment that I personally wouldn't want to invest a lot of money on, at least not initially. Maybe after trying some different things just to hear what clearly works and what doesn't, maybe then I might throw a little more money at it.

3. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

Sorry, you're right. If you gloss over the part where I mentioned that RWRP means reverse wound reverse polarity, and then skip past the part where I laid out an example of two pickups with different polarities, and then state that that makes them reverse wound reverse polarity, and then focus on the part where I didn't mention polarity, then yeah I didn't mention polarity. You got me.:lol::lol:

4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Jimmie Vaughan has a (hotter-wound) bridge pickup (Strat Tex-Mex) in both the middle and bridge positions...he said it cuts through the mix a bit more.

...and remember those 3-(slanted) pickup Telecasters with three bridge pickups in them? I’ve heard many good things regarding those as well.

There are no rules, except you gotta keep your pants on at Houston-Hobby airport...trust me.

5. Lotek

Lotek TDPRI Member

Just in case anyone needed to know, it still hurts to spray soda out out nose when laughing!

Fiesta Red and Dan German like this.
  6. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Ah, I said “pickups intended for a Strat” not “Strat pickups.”

I have a Logan T-style with Keystones, so Country Tele bridge sound would be redundant. I think I have determined that I need to narrow my focus, and it occurs to me that I can go to my local and try a Strat or two to see which pickup combos go in the right direction.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

You win a free set of perfectly good versatile but nobody’s favorite used MIM Strat pickups every-TGP-member replaced with a boutique set!

Blue Bill likes this.
  8. telemnemonics

Maybe you need Mustang pickups then?

9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Get N+M for hum canceling imbalanced ("vintage style") pickups.

Get B+M for hum canceling balanced ("modern style") pickups.

This is assuming that the Strat set in question has a hotter ("balanced") bridge pickup than N and M. If it does not, then the bridge pickup is the same as the neck pickup anyhow.

And when I say "hum canceling," I mean in the middle position only.

Dan German likes this.
  10. telemnemonics

Trick answer above, as some are Mustang pickups.
    The front two are typical low wind 70s flat pole Strat.
    The next two though you can see are not stacked the same because they are a Mustang pair with one being RWRP.
    In the back is a bag with a bridge and middle Van Zandt that are I believe 5.89k and 6.25k.

For my own taste I prefer a much weaker coil in neck position and hotter wind in the bridge. Assuming A5 mags and 42awg I’d choose 5.5k dcr neck and 6.5k or even 7k bridge.
    Since I never use in between settings I don’t care for RWRP.

11. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Actually, yes. But aren’t Mustang basically Strat pickups? (Ignoring the fact that there are many flavours of Strat pickups.)

12. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Vintage style pickups including American Vintage but not including Texas Specials are not RWRP - not hum cancelling.

Seymour's and most aftermarket pickups are hum cancelling. If you want a hum cancelling middle position you want preferably the middle and bridge pickup. The specs of most neck and middle pickups are identical in terms of winds and magnet gauss. The bridge as noted is usually a bit more winds, which is how most people want it

The reason they were never hum cancelling originally is because the three-way switch only selected one at a time originally.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    telemnemonics and Dan German like this.
  13. telemnemonics

Close but not quite the same.
    Mustang are always flat pole not staggered.
    Mustang are virtually always a lower wind lower output.
    They usually have covers with no holes too, which is further unlike Strat flat pole pickups which have raised poles where the Mustang has flush poles.

Those significantly shorter magnets are weaker, combined with the lower coil wind makes for a more delicate sound from a Mustang.
    Unless somebody put Strat pickups in the Mustang.
    Pretty sure Mustangs always had an RWRP Where Strats sometimes just had three randomly grabbed from the bin and no hum cancelled middle setting.

Leo and I both dislike in between Strat sounds and thats why Strats used to not have RWRP, since there was a three way switch and no combining of two pickups.
    Leo was my pal, not.

Lotek and Dan German like this.
  14. Dacious

My 75 Mustang had sliding phase switches on the pickups, you could put them in a twanky thin out of phase tone.

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. telemnemonics

I can never remember what those switches do, only that Mustang pickup pairs top poles attract each other!

16. 11 Gauge

As someone who has never one the lottery (including scratch-offs), I'll take it!

...Well...assuming they are alnico MIM Strat pickups, which IMO are actually pretty good! And - my daughter's Squier Mini could actually use them!

But in all honesty, I've had a MIM Strat pickup in the neck slot of a few different parts builds over the past half a decade or so. I'm very easily amused when it comes to a 'semi-traditional' wind with a Strat pickup. Before we had anything fancy, the SD SSL-1 worked out just fine thru the decades, and that was probably the last big-buck Strat pickup that I bought, back in '03 or so.

telemnemonics likes this.
  17. Dacious

Yeah, three posi switches. You could turn each on, off or reverse the polarity.

18. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

I’m a bit confused. Are you looking for a Strat sound? Or pickups that fit in a Strat route?

Because my advice would be all over the place, depending.

19. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

... for instance, I’m interested in trying those Strat sized single coils that use P90 polepieces if I ever mess with Strat pickups again.

Right now I’m piecing together everything for an offset partscaster. I want quack from the middle pickup (though, I hate Strats). Since I’m going with a 750k Volume pot and 500k Tone pot, I ordered a SD humcanceling Duckbucker (they stay bright by using parallel, rather than series, wiring).

I’m only going with those pot values because the whole guitar is being built around a Seymour Duncan P-Rail in the bridge.

I hate dark neck pickups, so that decision made itself (a brighter type of P90 in the neck).

So I guess it would help to know what you’re needing or planning.

Dan German likes this.
  20. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Some spec pickups for neck, middle and bridge, but the tone is going to have more to do with the pickup position (how close it is to the bridge or neck) rather than the pickup itself. Most standard Strat sets spec the neck and middle the same in terms of tonal balance and output (with the middle being RWRP), but some use a hotter (louder) pickup wound for less treble in the bridge position.

For a two pickup guitar, using Strat pickups, I would use a bridge pickup for the bridge position and either a neck or middle interchangeably for the neck position. I didn’t personally care if the pickups are rwrp or not, but some might and would choose either the neck or the middle to pair with a single bridge pickup.

Dan German likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.